Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry a spare and I have a ERS (one does not negate the other). Have used twice. One blow-out, and the other a flat from a nail.

Having your own unmounted spare saves one from trip delays and/or paying a high price for a tire. ERS will change out you unmounted spare - usually with an additional charge for the wheel swap. Having a mounted spare for ERS to install will save the wheel swap charge.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
22.5 inch, too heavy, no room. Get a good road service program, the best insurance!.
^^ This.

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2006 37' Southwind had a spare (22.5), my "new" Coach didn't come with one.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:19 AM   #18
My 93 HR Navigator has a 22.5" spare, but no tools to change it with. I just call CoachNet if I need it changed, which I have had to do once in the last 6 years.

It seems not carrying a spare on the larger rigs is becoming more common.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:06 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One blow out years ago in SC, outer rear dual, was assisted with the change by a State Trooper. He loosened the lug nuts as I jacked it up. I wanted another spare for my continued trip to Florida, he called a station he knew on his cell phone and made arrangements, I was on my way in several hours with my new spare. Couldn't believe he got down and started to go to work on the tire. Gave me his card said if I needed help with anything give him a call. A first class Trooper.
Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
I carry an unmounted spare, in a compartment made for the purpose. Had a blow out last year, on the inside right rear dual tire. Called Good Sam, they sent a tire company out to change it, didn't charge me anything. I'm a happy camper.
Roland & Jerri, with Maggie & Mollie, our Pups; '05 Fleetwood Providence, 39' DP; '08 Saturn. "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has it's limits" (Einstein)
gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have seen Class A people carrying an unmounted 22.5" tire when they traveled to and from Alaska. You will still be at the mercy of roadside assistance for mounting and installing but NOT for having to buy a new tire from who knows where and for how much. Friends of ours wished they were carrying one when they had to buy a new one in Needles, CA.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix) Formerly of Bellingham,WA'05 Winnebago Journey 36G. FL-XC, Cat 350, aero muffler, AFE filter, 4 FSD Koni's, ultra track bell, SafeT+, FMCA397030, WIT 129107
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #22
Ours is smaller, uses 16" wheels. RV came with a mount and fiberglass cover on the rear for the mounted spare. I used it on our first trip home from buying it... I didn't know then about RV tires aging.. I sure do now !! We'll keep the spare, and tools to change it. I can understand though when you get to bigger rv's, that would not be an option..
Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #23
National RV Owners Club
I always keep the best of the old tires for an unmounted spare. Since I run 22.5 XRV's they may not be available if I had a flat and if they were I'm not paying premium price because I have no choice. I would replace it ASAP.
Joe & Angie
Shih Tzu's Cookie & Rocky
2001 Tradewinds 7390 2011 CRV EX-L Navi w/ RoadMaster FuseMaster
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #24
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use this to remove my 245/75/19.5" tires to work on my brakes. I also carry one 6 ton jack stand and heavy duty wheel chocks for safety. I use my leveling jacks to get one corner up and down at a time. I can remove my 450 ft/lb lug nuts with one hand with this torque multiplier tool.

Welcome To Our Home Page!
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 120K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, KVH R5 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #25
I have never carried one in this coach until our Alaska trip last year. I put an unmounted spare in one of my compartments. It is still there.

I had a front blow out 6+ years ago. The tire the guy brought and mounted to my rim was awful. Only good enough to get home, barely. I was in the process of going home to have all six tires replaced. Only had 60 miles to go. Oh well. No one was hurt and no damage to the coach.
2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #26
Commercial Member
Originally Posted by Terry Walter View Post
I have had a blow out a while back in L.A. on the freeway (Rear tag tire) it was a good thing I had a spar one with me other wise it would of cost me around $300.00 to have toe truck driver bring one with him.
Another time I had a toe truck driver check the air pressure in my tires andr he told me that the inside dull tire had no air in it.
He took it off and showed me where their was two large staples in it, he repaired it.
I would not go any where with out a spair.
Just a thought.
Hope things continue to work out for you. Having one dual flat for unknown miles means you had the other dual 100% overloaded and the 0 psi one might have internal damage as well. Hope he didn't just use plugs and inspected the interior for possible damage.

Retired Design & Quality Tire Eng. Read my tire blog RVTireSafety.com to learn more about RV tires, valves & wheels. Read THIS post on why Tires Fail
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote