Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #1

Class A with a spare tire

Do any Class A members carry a spare tire? Stories how it came in handy?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ours is mounted by the propane tank....Holiday rambler 2000 Admiral..29'...no slides
fulltimers
If we need it, it is there...we replaced all tires in Feb 2012 including the spare.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #3

Some "A" s with 19.5 rims have a spare. But those with 22.5 rubber , with the weight involved and the size, tools involved to change and retorque the lug nuts; 450 ft.lbs on most ; puts the majority of A owners in the call for Roadside Assistance, catagory.
Even though I worked with tires for 40+ years at the size and weight of 22.5 rubber I'll pay for roadside and wait.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have never had one in a Type A MH and have never been in a situation where having one would have helped. In fact we've never had a flat or blowout on any of our Type A's.
Did have a Type B MH that was overweight and broke two wheels though. Traded it in in 1997 and have had no more tire problems.
Our present DSDP wheel lugs take 500 ft lbs and I do have a torque multiplier and sockets to remove and replace them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Pre 2006 gas Bounders had 'em. In '06 FW went to 22.5" tires & they wouldn't fit in the rear storage compartment anymore so they dropped including them.

We don't even carry an uninflated one. I doubt we could change a tire on our MH even if we had one. I'll call CoachNet if I need one.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
22.5 inch, too heavy, no room. Get a good road service program, the best insurance!.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had one included in our 2011 26P Vista. It's in the rear slice under the bed but only accessible from the outside. Unless it was an outright emergency, I'd still call a service to change it.
VSPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As Lori stated , they no longer fit. However I fit an unmounted one in my rear pass through basement. I've had two flats with my last MH which had a mounted spare. I was on my way in under one hour both times. I feel that it will be the same with the unmounted one. If you have nothing , you're at the mercy of the tow co to buy you a spare at full retail if they can get you one and probably hours if they can.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have had 2 Fleetwood Bounders (gas) both with spares under the tail. We have experienced 3 blow outs (one old tire and 2 that were part of a set Goodyear later replaced) and one time a tire was very low on air. Every time I used the spare and was glad that I had one. Our current rig does not have a spare and if needed, I will just have to deal with it. In other words, the lack of a spare did not sway our choice in a coach (although I would like one if I could still carry it under the tail, the problem is that there is now an engine there :-) )
Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #10

Number one, I don't have room unless I leave my fishing gear and golf clubs at home. And that ain't going to happen.

Number two, I don't carry tools to change a tire. Require some HD Tools to do this job. IE, a 650 Lb/Ft torque wrench.

Number Three, There is no way I (along with DW) could handle the job. Have you checked out the weight of a 22.5" spare tire?

Number Four, Because of the above, I have Good Sam ERS so if I have a flat, I call them.

That's my story.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My old 2002 Flair Class A on a P32 Workhorse chassis had one. Needed it once, picked up a chunk of metal, went through the sidewall @ 70k miles. Had it changed in 45 minutes and back on the road. However, the lug nuts only torqued to 135 ft/lbs, I was able to handle that.

My new MH is a 2006 FW Hurricane on a Workhorse W20 chassis and it did not come with a spare tire. The lugnuts torque to 450 ft/lbs. When I replaced my tires @ 70k miles I kept one of the inside dually and it fit underneath between the frame rails perfect. I have a torque multiplier wrench and can change it if I need to. But I also have Coachnet. It is unmounted so I would have to have it mounted.

But realistically, I put 98k on the 2002 and now have 87k on this one, and have only had the one tire problem.

You have to decide, if you can do it yourself and have all the equipment. I think the majority of the people are counting on Good Sams roadside service or coachnet roadside service.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
To have a spair tire or not.

I have had a blow out a while back in L.A. on the freeway (Rear tag tire) it was a good thing I had a spar one with me other wise it would of cost me around $300.00 to have toe truck driver bring one with him.
Another time I had a toe truck driver check the air pressure in my tires andr he told me that the inside dull tire had no air in it.
He took it off and showed me where their was two large staples in it, he repaired it.
I would not go any where with out a spair.
Just a thought.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #13

Clay and Dennis nailed it! A good insurance roadside plan is a must with big tires...I could not even pick one up or manipulate it with out a trip back to the Neural surgeon...I did have one for my Fifth Wheel but would have never have attempted to use it...guess my Insurance provider could have used it though...I watch my tires more than anything underway ;-)
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Walter View Post
I have had a blow out a while back in L.A. on the freeway (Rear tag tire) it was a good thing I had a spar one with me other wise it would of cost me around $300.00 to have toe truck driver bring one with him.
Another time I had a toe truck driver check the air pressure in my tires andr he told me that the inside dull tire had no air in it.
He took it off and showed me where their was two large staples in it, he repaired it.
I would not go any where with out a spair.
Just a thought.
IMOP, you would be better off with a good Roadside Assistance Policy rather than carry a spare. In both cases you had a tow truck to assist. ERS would have paid for that. Me thinks,