Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Will definitely stay with the toad! Thanks again!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #16

I have been doing the Blue Ridge Parkway since 1950. I have driven it with all kinds of rigs -- auto, auto and home made fold up trailer, auto and pickup + travel trailer, class A motor home. I have driven it many times from end to end. I have been on it in most months of the year.

It has never been a difficult drive for me in any of my rigs. The only issues are three tunnels just north of Asheville. The clearance heights on the road are for the extreme sides of the tunnels. If you can stay toward the center line, there is plenty of height for a 12' MH. I know 'cause I have measured those tunnels several times.

The problem with those three tunnels is that you can't always stay far enough to the center of the road to be safe. You don't have to be in the center of the road, but you do need to be so close to the center line that it would be scary if another class A was there coming the other way. For that reason, we avoid driving our class A from Craggy Gardens to Asheville.

The BRP from Asheville to its end in the Great Smoky Mountains NP is one of the must do drives in your MH. You just must do it. There's nothing else in the world like it. It would be a shame to try to get the full experience by doing it piece meal in a Toad.

None of the grades on the BRP are greater than 6% and are very short. If you can't manage that, you need to consider something other than a MH.

Just don't miss the BRP in all its seasons. I have seen flowers on it in every month of the year. In a good leaf year, the fall colors are the best in the world. In a good spring, the rhododendron, laurel, and flame azalea can’t be believed. Linville Falls just must be seen, and on and on. There really is nothing like it. There are NP campgrounds along the way.

On second thought, maybe you should just stay away. Then I could keep it all to myself.

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Wil! Thanks for your comments! I too have been driving the BRP for many years, but never in an RV. We usually stay in Maggie Valley and drive the parkway in a car from there. We always go in the fall to try and catch the leaves at their peak. It's hard to do! We are usually a week or so early or a week or so late! I remember one year that we did hit it just right and that was the most beautiful site I have ever seen!

If I meet a class A in one of those tunnels over the line I'll move over as far as I can cause I'll know it's you!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #18

Shenandoah River State Park is a wonderful place to stay. No sewer but big rig friendly. You can get onto Shenandoah National Park from there which is part of the BRP. There is an entrance fee unless you have one of the national park passes but it is good for 7 days. We have ridden the entire length of the BRP on a motorcycle. It is one of my favorite places to visit.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
Shenandoah River State Park is a wonderful place to stay. No sewer but big rig friendly. You can get onto Shenandoah National Park from there which is part of the BRP.
Yes, Shenandoah River State Park is a jewel. Now, Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park connects to the Blue Ridge Parkway but is not a part of it. They are distinct roads.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yup. I would avoid the BRP especially around Asheville. I drive it in my car for a few miles several times a week. It is crazy. Although it is posted 35mph, motorcycles and people late for work think nothing about going 60-65. Passing in double yellow or blind curves happens ALL the time. Not to mention the bicyclists that ride up hill going 10 mph in the middle of the lane.

So, even in a car don't spend to much time looking at the scenery. Deadly traffic situations happen every day. Often one side is a couple hundred foot drop off, so avoidance choices are limited.

Be careful.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're fortunate in that we lived in Roanoke, VA for 18 years and drove the entire length of the BRP twice...not all at one time but in 'pieces.' We had a pop up camper early on then got a 26' TT. Now we live near Bedford, VA and the parkway is still very close to us.

For sure the most scenic and magnificent portion is the south end in the NC high country down into the Smokies. As pretty as it is, I would not want to drive my class A on the road. I'd find a nice RV park just off the parkway and do my parkway exploring in the toad. Our favorite was to stay in or around Asheville and use that as a home base. Grandfather Mountain and the engineering marvel viaduct is a must-see.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #22

I drove it south of Ashville with a 27ft 5r behind a Dodge. Never again. Got off it about 40 miles south. It was torture on the transmission. Down grade in retard sharp curves at bottom up the next hill. Speed limit (35mph). Torque converter churning in 2nd gear. Everything hot, hot then down the next hill. Park and take your toad or tow vehicle.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #23

Have done part of the BRP on motorcycle and cannot imagine how difficult it would be to do all those curves in a motorhome, but that's JMO... and inexperience. Would definitely need some investigation about clearances, etc. BIL who was a truck driver for years talked about how some clearances weren't accurate due to road settling, etc as Ray,IN said.
Scootingrany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are Currently staying in Bear camp ground right on the the BRP. I can't imagine anyone with a rig bigger than 30 ft wanting to drive this thing. We drove it about 10 miles yesterday, and the turn offs and exits are very difficult to maneuver. We will stay here 3 days and explore the area in our Ford Focus.

Also, when they say big rig friendly, don't you believe it!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #25

iRV2 No Limits Club
We love the Blue Ridge, in our regular car.

We drove it from Falls Church Va. to the N.C. line 2 years ago when we had our T&C van. Mostly 35 MPH
in fog/drizzle . It was November and most of the rest stops, etc. were closed.

When we came off of Black Mt. in the van, into the city for gas. I felt like I was seeing my own tail lights.

Very narrow, twisting and steep down grade.
I would not exit there in any RV.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We left the camp ground which is at MM325. In total, we drove about 45 miles on BRP. Worse than the BRP, was getting to and from it. We have a 40 ft do, and I spent a lot of time in second and third gear. Also, the camp ground was very difficult to get into. I've driven all over the US in a car, and never have seen anything like this. I doubt we will ever go back. I did love the campsite though and with a class B would not be too bad.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #27

Carolina Campers
If you find the BRP to be a problem driving.... You would not want to go the places I have been in my rig.... I have driven many miles of the BRP. Never had any issues. It is like a wide freeway compared to many roads that I have been on... Anyone that has done much camping in TN knows what I mean.... You would also not like to visit Carlsbad Caverns, camp in many beautiful areas in NC, you would hate driving down into Palo Duro Canyon in TX, don't even consider Lazy Ks Campground and Canoe, Elkview, West Virginia, etc. etc. etc.

I would never consider having a rig that was too big to prevent me from going to all the beautiful places I want to go..... I hope I never turn into a wimpy driver either.....
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
If you find the BRP to be a problem driving.... You would not want to go the places I have been in my rig.... I have driven many miles of the BRP. Never had any issues. It is like a wide freeway compared to many roads that I have been on... Anyone that has done much camping in TN knows what I mean.... You would also not like to visit Carlsbad Caverns, camp in many beautiful areas in NC, you would hate driving down into Palo Duro Canyon in TX, don't even consider Lazy Ks Campground and Canoe, Elkview, West Virginia, etc. etc. etc.

I would never consider having a rig that was too big to prevent me from going to all the beautiful places I want to go..... I hope I never turn into a wimpy driver either.....
How big is your rig? Mine is a 40 ft, towing a car. I went everywhere, it did not enjoy it. I am a RVer not a camper. We full time, and have no S&B to go back to,thus the reason for the big rig. I went there out of Curiosity, and would never stay there more than 3 days. Our site was beautiful, and, I am not a wimpy driver. I had several campers come up and ask me how the heck I got us in there.

We will boon dock all winter in AZ & CA deserts. No need to worry about the size there. I don't fish, I wear oxygen, so I don't hike or sit around campfires. We just like to walk and enjoy the sights.

Tags
class a