Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #1
Class C parking

Planning on moving in approx 2 years so consider this into equation.Just bought a 2012 FR Sunseeker 2300 Class C. We are planning on parking in back yard of our home. Any thoughts or wisdom on which would be the best option
(1) crushed concrete pad
(2) gravel pad
(3)parking on a slightly sloped (side to side) yard.
Does the pad need to be sloped for cover on roof to drain properly?
Also was going to cover with a non-custom made cover if anyone has an opinion on a paticular brand. Motorhome will hopefully not sit for longer than a month. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

I prefer a gravel pad with good drainage so the tires don't sit in water.

Many members who have covered their RV's , report issues with wind flapping the covers and chaffing the paint and decals.
Periotic cleaning and waxing is all that your RV should need, as protection from the elements.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
The first thing you need to do is to contact your local government to see if parking is O.K.

Parking on gravel or concrete would be good. Problems arise when parking on dirt or grass. With a slight tilt water won't gather under the tires. That's good. However, don't try to leave the refrigerator plugged in on a tilt.

If it's only going to sit for a month or so - or ever, in fact, I wouldn't use any kind of cover. They can create more problems than they're worth. Think about it, RVs are out in the weather while traveling so what would be the difference? Full-timers have their RVs in the weather every single day. We did for 16 years with absolutely no problems. Just keep it waxed good and wash the roof regularly. Check caulking routinely. If you get water leaks then it's not maintained properly and being able to check on it all the time before it gets bad is a plus. I'd rather see a leak immediately and deal with it then.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
Thanks for the advice. Think I'll wax her good and put in a level gravel bed.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #5
Our RVs sit on very slightly sloped well drained gravel, tires covers with those white wheel covers.
Retired. RVing with one husband and five cats.
1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class-A. Ford V10.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #6
Ford Super Duty Owner
I park my Moho on a paver pad in my back yard, I don't live in a neighborhood with a HOA so there are no issues, most neighborhoods with HOA's do not allow rv's to be parked at home so check on that before you move. I would hate to have to store mine away from the house when not in use. When I built my pad it was intended for a small, light trailer not a 6 ton Moho and the pad is settling. Concrete would have been nice but need to take into consideration the weight and if you are going to use the levelers. Good luck.
Rick and Mimi
1989 Class C Fleetwood Tioga, 26 ft on an E350 Frame
Toad: 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:31 AM   #7
I am allowed in my city to park in driveway 3 days per week for load and unloading. I can also park RV 5' from side of house as long as it does not stick out past corner. I'm on a corner lot so I will park behind house. No levelors so ever so slighty sloped with fridge turned off and a couple buckets of damp rid for good measure. It is awlfully muggy down in the Sunshine state.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #8
4 inch thick concrete with rebar is the best set up with the proper drainage slope. Since you are allowed to park at your home this is the best set up then you can use jacks if you have them to level it and take some weight off tires and be able to be inside and be comfortable. Gravel is okay but it needs a good base and needs to be thick enough to work properly but then it can start to accumulate dirt and get ugly.
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:50 AM   #9
I just built a platform out of 2x10s that it sits on. It isn't level but put down jacks so the fridge will work
Ed and Marina Marasi, Suffield Ct, 32' Tiffen allegro 1999
edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:05 AM   #10
The fridge can tolerate some slope. Check your owners manual. I'd set the pad for a slight slope away from the door, otherwise level. Waiting on a blacktop pad to be installed for similar reasons. Going with that because we are re doing the whole driveway/parking area. Would do gravel if we were not ripping out everything.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:34 PM   #11
Ya'll have given me several good options. I'll probably figure in the cost and ease of removal. Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #12
Tiffin Owners Club
Crushed concrete would not be on my pad because it can damage the tires. Of your choices, I would choose gravel but be sure that you do it right. Packing the base hard is essential. I would not invest in a concrete pad if you plan on moving in a couple of years - too expensive.

Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is online now   Reply With Quote

class c