Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #1

Clean holding tank

How can I clean my holding tanks? I have a 1996 Hi-Lo and the tank indicator lights showed 2/3 full when the tank was empty. After setting a few months, after winterized, I went into the trailer and checked the tank level lights again and now they show empty. What's up with that? Some months ago, someone told me how to clean the sensors, but I accidently deleted that information. H-E-L-P please.
V8Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The gunk on the tank walls dried up enough to stop fooling the sensors. The tank walls are what need to be cleaned.
There are many ways out there that are supposed to be surefire ways of cleaning them and I think I have tried all of them at one time or another and nothing has worked.
Ice in the black tank did nothing. The geo method did nothing. Various detergents, commercial "sensor" cleaners, and TSP did nothing.
My problem is that I don't have a flushing system and no way to install one where it will hit the wall where the sensors are mounted on the outside of the tanks (I have a non-contact system where the sensors are on the outside of the tank).

A flushing system along with adding a detergent and a few gallons of water while traveling seems to be the only thing that works at all.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:42 AM   #3

I have a sure fire way to know when the grey tank is full. there is water in the shower. The black tank doesn't fill that quick but a flashlight down the open falp shows the level.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #4

I have tried the ice in the black tank on my old TT and on my inlaws MH. to varying degrees of success. I have used the wand down the toilet and all that did was make me grumoy on having to run a hose through the camper and when the wand broke imagine the steam from the jakes then! I have seen some after market flush kits and some people swear by them I don't really know I use a flash light and look method and dump some ice down the toilet just before driving. These sensors are notorious for being wrong. Good luck!
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Apart from the initial soaking of your tank in an attempt to dissolve the deposits on your tank wall, you could possibly install a very simple tank flush system like this: No-fuss flush.

Obviously you will need access to you tank wall but if you can get this, this device is so easy to install. At the moment this is keeping our tank gauges working. You will also need to flush your tanks on a regular basis - not only when things have stopped working.

I have seen a video of a guy installing on of these gismo's, but I can't remember where that was (a link on IRV2 as I recall). This showed you how easy the installation is. I think it took me less than 5 minutes once the tools was out.

Good luck. I hope you get your problem solved.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Square View Post
How can I clean my holding tanks? I have a 1996 Hi-Lo and the tank indicator lights showed 2/3 full when the tank was empty. After setting a few months, after winterized, I went into the trailer and checked the tank level lights again and now they show empty. What's up with that? Some months ago, someone told me how to clean the sensors, but I accidently deleted that information. H-E-L-P please.
I have tried them all also. The ice in the tank does absolutely nothing but melt the ice as soon as it goes in. I use a 1/2 cup of dish soap and at lease 5 and maybe 10 gal of water in the tank. Drive down the road for a hr. or so. I do it when I am moving from one spot to another. When you get to the next destination, put some more water in and dume then. I bet you will be clean then. It works for me.
Bill
Old 03-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
I have tried them all also. The ice in the tank does absolutely nothing but melt the ice as soon as it goes in. I use a 1/2 cup of dish soap and at lease 5 and maybe 10 gal of water in the tank. Drive down the road for a hr. or so. I do it when I am moving from one spot to another. When you get to the next destination, put some more water in and dume then. I bet you will be clean then. It works for me.
Bill
wouldn't dishwahing detergent be harmful to rubber seals????
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
?????
If so, about 100 million american homes are about to be in trouble! A dishwasher uses that soap and has lots of rubber seals.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
You also use dishwashing soap to clean your dishes in your RV. I don't mean dishwasher soap but dish soap like dawn or joy or whatever.
Bill O
Old 03-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #10

Thanks

Guess the easiest is the "use the flashlight" option in addition to keeping the system good and clean.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
You also use dishwashing soap to clean your dishes in your RV. I don't mean dishwasher soap but dish soap like dawn or joy or whatever.
Bill O
We have tried this but it doesn't work for us. The paper goes all soggy very quickly

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #12

Some folks report success with using TSP cleaner. Add appropriate amount to 1/2 tank water before departure for next destination.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
10 gal. of water and 1 qt. of PineSol. Drive for 3-4 hrs. and drain.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:52 AM   #14

Thanks. Surely one of these options should work.