Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #1

Clean, or even prevent, white slime in shower door tracks?

Currently, I am using a paint sponge on a stick to knock the slime loose and then rinsing it down the drain, approx once per week. But it is nasty looking and comes back quickly.

Is there a better way to clean it, or even better, PREVENT it from ever even forming?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Currently, I am using a paint sponge on a stick to knock the slime loose and then rinsing it down the drain, approx once per week. But it is nasty looking and comes back quickly.

Is there a better way to clean it, or even better, PREVENT it from ever even forming?
I prevent it by using the clean showers at the sites I frequent.

Alternatively, change your bath products. Some are far less likely to stick to walls and door. It's trial and error but hair conditioner and bar soap are particularly messy.

Oh, BTW, the last place you want this stuff is "down the drain". Paper towel and trash can.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #3

So, the slime is from our soap and shampoo? I figured it was just some kind of slime or mold because water sits in there almost all the time.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have water standing in your shower, you have a drainage problem. As long as you have standing water you will likely have a slime problem. Fix the drain and eliminate slime.

Glenn
Old 09-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #5

The drain holes are clear, but it still holds water. Maybe dremel out the bottom of the drain holes a little to open them up a bit?

Trailer is just a touch off level, since doors swing to the left, which is the direction of my drain holes, so my slight lean should actually be helping them drain.

Any other suggestions to fix the drainage?
Old 09-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The white residue in the door tracks is almost surely from body or hair soap products, perhaps exacerbated by hard water, so a change of product might work. We have that problem at home where our water is hard and there is a noticeable difference depending on what products we use.

Do the tracks drain well and quickly when they fill during showering? Maybe some additional drains holes (toward the shower side) would help. And maybe an extra rinse with a hand held sprayer before you exit the shower?

Also find that a shower & bath cleaning product like Scrubbing Bubbles helps to loosen and rinse away the scum.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #7

Yes, they seem to drain well while showering, but there is always just a thin layer of water left over after. I was wondering about the scrubbing bubbles spray...

I try to remember to rinse the grooves out after the shower, but my door has three separate slides, so one will get all three wet, the middle will only let water rinse out two of the slides, and then the third will only let me rinse the innermost groove.

Unless I open them all and spray directly into the grooves, which I sometime do, but almost always get water on the floor outside the tub.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #8

We treat the motorhome shower just like our home shower. Before you get out, a final rinse of the walls and door with very HOT water. Then spray everything down with "Clean Shower" or "Scrubbing Bubbles Daily Shower Cleaner". You really don't need to use a whole lot. The entire shower stays amazingly clean, with just an occasional more serious scrubbing.

Another thing I have done in the past. Due to the hard water, I got really tired of cleaning that big 'clear' glass shower door every morning. I hung a white fabric shower curtain liner and shower rod on the inside of the door. It still let light in, but kept the door totally dry and clean. It might keep the white slime out of a sliding shower door track also. No more daily cleaning.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToTheDog View Post
We treat the motorhome shower just like our home shower. Before you get out, a final rinse of the walls and door with very HOT water. Then spray everything down with "Clean Shower" or "Scrubbing Bubbles Daily Shower Cleaner". You really don't need to use a whole lot. The entire shower stays amazingly clean, with just an occasional more serious scrubbing.

Another thing I have done in the past. Due to the hard water, I got really tired of cleaning that big 'clear' glass shower door every morning. I hung a white fabric shower curtain liner and shower rod on the inside of the door. It still let light in, but kept the door totally dry and clean. It might keep the white slime out of a sliding shower door track also. No more daily cleaning.
Simple, yet effective solution with the curtain!

Tags
door, shower, vent