RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Clean the black tank with grey tank water?

Haven't heard anyone talk about this which seems to me like it would help clean or at least rinse out the black tank each time you dump. What do you think? I attach a Twist-On Waste Valve and then do this:

1-Dump the black tank
2-Close twist-on valve
3-Open the grey valve causing grey water to fill into the black tank
4-When water stops flowing, close grey valve
5-Dump the black tank again
6-Close black valve
7-Dump grey tank

RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Haven't heard anyone talk about this which seems to me like it would help clean or at least rinse out the black tank each time you dump. What do you think? I attach a Twist-On Waste Valve and then do this:

1-Dump the black tank
2-Close twist-on valve
3-Open the grey valve causing grey water to fill into the black tank
4-When water stops flowing, close grey valve
5-Dump the black tank again
6-Close black valve
7-Dump grey tank
Might be worth while if you don't have a black tank flush nozzle. Otherwise I feel just a waste.

I like to dump my black tank, then close the valve, and let the black tank flush nozzle fill the black tank up around half and then dump again. I think fresh clean water is better than stinky gray water.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Might be worth while if you don't have a black tank flush nozzle. Otherwise I feel just a waste.

I like to dump my black tank, then close the valve, and let the black tank flush nozzle fill the black tank up around half and then dump again. I think fresh clean water is better than stinky gray water.
I tried the black tank flush nozzle but after 10 minutes of running water, nothing seems to happen as if the water is not going thru. So I came up with this alternative method.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #4

I do about the same as the OP, except I don't have the twist on valve (yet), So I raise part of the hose above tank level, then lower it. The gymnastics of raising the hose and closing valves may appear to be a tad funny tho. I don't let the tanks equalize, I let the gray > black migration slow, then cut off the gray tank. Now that I know that the bathroom sink empties into the black tank, I can change up and when I disconnect, I can open the bathroom sink faucet and then when I start dumping, turn the pump on and let it run during the process. One of my next projects will be a 10 foot hose to add to the black tank flush so that I don't have to worry about dragging out a big hose and then putting it back up. I am always looking for a chance to streamline. A high volume / low pressure pump may be in the future to help with this.

I did make one friend last time at Jordan Lake. While I was waiting, I pulled out my long hose and walked up to the spigot, and when the one using was putting his stuff up, I hooked to the spigot. He used my hose to rinse off a few things and then left. I pulled up and as I was dumping, I hooked the hose up and turned on to flush. I hurried every chance I got, and then when I finished, I picked the hose up and hooked it to the ladder with a tarp strap and pulled out of the way. I then got out and started putting the hose up and the guy and his wife came up and said he had never seen anybody try and succeed at moving so fast at a dump, and he wasn't in a hurry. I told him that sometimes my hose can be a PITA to put up and I wasn't going to make him wait. I had all day where I was parked at.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:20 AM   #5

just add an extra valve after the two valves or before exit.. I would close grey before it stops so as not to get black in grey.. I have two electric valves and the at end is third manual valve.. I do this also as my grey tank is above black and works good. but do stop before it equalizes ..
Old 11-06-2017, 04:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
I tried the black tank flush nozzle but after 10 minutes of running water, nothing seems to happen as if the water is not going thru. So I came up with this alternative method.
If it seems like water is not flowing through your black tank flush system, try buying a compressor air fitting on Amazon and hooking up an air compressor to blow the system out. Make sure you use LOW AIR PRESSURE to blow it out by using a pressure reducer or putting a bend/kink in the compressor hose to restrict air flow. That worked for me when my flush system wasn't allowing water to flow.
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:21 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I'm dumping at a central location I'll do the third valve back frush to speed the process particularly if there is a line of Sunday morning fellow campers checking out. Works well. Full hook up campsite or at home I'll use the in tank sprayer.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think I'll stick with my black tank flush nozzle!

If your nozzle isn't working, it's probably clogged at the nozzle. Mine was that way when we bought the rig. Not only was the nozzle clogged, but the tubing a few inches behind the nozzle! I cut the PEX tubing, cleaned the tubing and the nozzle, and used a push-on PEX coupler to put it back together. I also added a screen washer in the flusher inlet to prevent future problems. It works great now!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, grey tank, tank, water