Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 04:08 PM   #1

Cleaning & Waxing Motorhome

Hello all. We recently purchased a class A full body paint Newmar motorhome. Has anyone used Mary Moppins products? The cleaner and the wax. Any advice will be appreciated!
apfleide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi apfleide,

Don't know about those products but leave yourself plenty of time to get the job done.

Ours is a 2004 and it took most of the summer to wash, deoxidize, and wax. I work though and could only work on it 1 day a week. Had to do some camping too.

Good luck, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #3

Get yourself a Porter Cable random orbital buffer/sander /polisher/waxer or what ever you would like to call it. Then get the right pads. Using the random orbital you will not get swirel marks even as a novice. They are not cheap but last. I can do my MH in a day with one. Long day but not a summer. I have 3 of the PC units and they work well.
rambler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #4

If you have a new Newmar with full body paint then wash it with any modern wash and wax product designed for automobiles. Do not use dish washing liquid. Then apply a good detailing spray that contains UV protection. Forget buffers, and hardwork, too many other things to occupy your time.

Newmar specifically says NOT to use any brushes.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I went to a Harbor Freight and bought 1 section of staging, http://t.harborfreight.com/heavy-dut...old-69055.html under $200, it has rollers so waxing the coach is a breeze.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Our coach wasn't oxidized so there was no buffing involved. I use Turtle Wax car wash soap and Ice wax every month. Wash and wax takes about five hours. Ice is really easy to use, spray, spread it around with one microfiber cloth and buff with a dry towel.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by apfleide View Post
Hello all. We recently purchased a class A full body paint Newmar motorhome. Has anyone used Mary Moppins products? The cleaner and the wax. Any advice will be appreciated!
Wash Wax All. I can do my entire rig in 2 hours. (1 hour each side each day)

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ctronics%2C229
Old 07-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I polish mine once a year with either NuFinish or Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. Working AMs only, takes four days.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #9

I have been into serious car detailing for many years, and participated in many car shows and won my fair share of awards; just trying to set a foundation for my following response.

Re: Mary Moppins...... There was a recent article in the Tiffin magazine by Mary Moppins; it was either poorly written, poorly edited, or worse. While it did contain some helpful suggestions, there was so much confusing and / or erroneous information interspersed (unfortunately, unless you were knowledgeable about detailing, you would never know what was right, wrong, or confusing) so it seems to me Mary Moppins should stick to moppin the kitchen floor.

If you are not into taking great care of your car, taking your time and using high quality automotive detailing products, you are not going to do it with your RV, as it is much more work; and even with that, I have to temper my expectations as to what is acceptable with our RV given the circumstances.

In short, forget Mary Moppins, and find high quality automotive washes, waxes (you proably want to use a synthetic sealant vs. a carnuba wax on an RV), and unless you polish your car (which I doubt), using a "cleaner wax / sealant" is probably the most viable way for you to finish your RV.

It takes me / us, 5 "man hours" to wash our little gasser (not including the roof, other than a quick rinse), taking time to ensure we are not damaging the paint. It took me 25 hours over 5 days to polish and wax our coach the first time (does not include the time to wash or do the roof). Yes, I am extreme, but the results speak for themselves.

I have pontificated at length on other posts about washing, waxing, polishing, various products, etc., so if you care to, you can search my posts and it will be obvious to what posts relate to coach detailing.

Your results will be consistent with the time and effort you make, and will proably mirror the condition of your cars.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #10

Thank your for your input! Actually my husband is VERY particular about keeping our vehicles cleaned and waxed (he even waxes our riding lawnmower). The reason we were even looking at Mary Moppins is that they say they are 'Recommended by Tiffin & Newmar'... May I ask what specific wash and wax you use?
apfleide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by apfleide View Post
Thank your for your input! Actually my husband is VERY particular about keeping our vehicles cleaned and waxed (he even waxes our riding lawnmower). The reason we were even looking at Mary Moppins is that they say they are 'Recommended by Tiffin & Newmar'... May I ask what specific wash and wax you use?
I used Griot's Garage Complete Compound to polish, and thier Poly Wax sealant for the finish. I currently use both Griot's and Adams car wash and detailing sprays on my RV and cars, as well as various other products from them, and a cabinet full of detailing products from others as well.

I use a Flex machine since I have it for my cars, but it is a bit of overkill for an RV vs. a Porter Cable (note, the Griots Boss machine is a re-branded Flex, and thier orbital is a re-branded Porter Cable). Griot's also has a decent wash pole with micro fiber mitts that attach with Velcro (not the best, but adequate)......

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #12
IC2

Meguire's is my product name of choice - pick your version as they have many. Currently I'm using their Marine Cleaner Wax as ours is a combo of gel coat and automotive paint. I have been satisfied. I've used their NXT and their yellow carnuba paste products too and they too have been satisfactory. So far all been applied by hand but I just picked up a Harbor Freight dual action variable speed polisher to try (had a double discount : 6 in. 5.7 Amp Heavy Duty Dual Action Variable Speed Polisher ). If this works well on the 5er then I'll move on to the TV, wife's car and finally, my street rod - probably wont do the little 1985 ISEKI tractor with it though .
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Breeze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
I went to a Harbor Freight and bought 1 section of staging, Heavy Duty Portable Scaffold under $200, it has rollers so waxing the coach is a breeze.
Bought the same scaffold, works well and pretty sturdy, made the washing and waxing much easier, I must get your secret for it being a breeze LOL

Have a good one
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Once you clean the front of the coach, get some Rejex and use it instead of ordinary wax on the front, including the windshield. It is amazing stuff. It makes it very easy to get bugs off. On my last trip a hard rainstorm was all it took to wash off most of the bugs on the front.

RejeX

Tags
motorhome