Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Cleaning Black and Grey Tanks

Greetings one and all. As i have mentioned before my wife and i are newbies in the RVing world so please bare with us... We have a 2014 Thor Motorcoach A.C.E. which came with a "built in macerator", that being said which would be the best way to go about "cleaning" the black and grey tanks? How often should this be done?

Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #2

Not sure what your defination of cleaning is but here is mine. Your coach should also have a connection to "flush" the black tank after you have pulled the valve to dump. I refill perhaps for 5 min. then pull the valve handle to dump again. I also used a clear extension before the stinky slinky so I could view when clean water was dumping. Then procede to pull the gray handle and dump the gray water. I then put one cap full of Fabric softener in the stool and flush and one short squirt of Dawn Green dish soap. Add some water to both tanks and it will keep the tanks clean and as clean smelling as possible. Upon storage I will add Pine Power ( Not Pine Sol ) to each tank.
** Having said all of that,I stopped using the stinky slinky long ago and switched to the "Sewer Solution" Mucho better !and still clean the tanks in the above method.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #3

drain both then fill both a little less then half way then put dawn dish liquid and calgon and about 5 lbs of ice drive to you next stop and taa daa it's clean. we do this once every month or two but we are fulltime

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #4

A properly working black or gray tank should not need "cleaning" only to be fouled again with normal use. Two tablespoons of Happy Camper Odorless Holding Tank Treatment for every 40 gallons of black tank capacity dissolved into two gallons of water poured down the toilet into an empty black tank will liquify waste, maintain proper sensor function, and eliminate odors. Dump when at least half full. No detergent, water softener, bleach, colored chemicals, ice or copious amounts of water are necessary. One tablespoon mixed in one gallon of water poured into an empty gray tank once every other month is enough to maintain the gray tank if you are having problems.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
With a macerator, you have the advantage of using the soapy water in the gray tank to help out cleaning the black tank. As others have mentioned, having a clear connector between the tank's outlet and the hose to the macerator will help in allowing you to see when the water coming out of the tanks is clear of any further stuff in the tanks. The procedure is:

With both tanks at least 2/3rds full (very important), turn on the black tank's flush system and then open the black tank valve and turn on the macerator until the black tank's flow comes to a dribble (from the water being put into the black tank from the black tank flush system). Then open the gray tank valve allowing the gray tank soapy water to back fill into the black tank (some will still run through the macerator, but that will help in cleaning it also). After about 15 seconds, close the gray tank valve and let the black tank continue to drain. Do this gray tank to black tank back fill two or three times. Close the black tank valve and open the gray....emptying the gray. Turn off the macerator. During that time clean water will be going into the black tank (from the flushing device) and once the black tank is about 1/2 full, open the black tank valve and start the macerator again emptying the black tank completely. Once empty, turn off the macerator again and allow clean water to continue to flow into the black tank for a couple of minutes insuring that the black tank has a few gallons of water in it (also very important).

You also can run the inside faucets for several minutes putting clean water into the gray tank and then flushing it out once more with the macerator. This will clean out most of the minute food particles and soap residue.

Using a macerator does indeed take much longer and due to this, I typically only use my macerator at home where I have to pump the water about a 100 ft to my septic system's clean out. During my travels I always just use my stinky slinky. However, I have installed an additional gate valve so that i can close off the drain pipe and allow the gray water to back fill into the black tank much like I would do with the macerator.

Be aware that the macerator does require yearly maintenance. You'll have to remove and disassemble it, cleaning out all the hair and any other stuff that has collected on the blades, and maybe even have to replace the plastic/rubber (?) impeller due to broken vanes. When I was using my macerator full time, I always kept an extra impeller on hand just in case.

Hope this helps

Ron
Old 10-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
A properly working black or gray tank should not need "cleaning" only to be fouled again with normal use. Two tablespoons of Happy Camper Odorless Holding Tank Treatment for every 40 gallons of black tank capacity dissolved into two gallons of water poured down the toilet into an empty black tank will liquify waste, maintain proper sensor function, and eliminate odors. Dump when at least half full. No detergent, water softener, bleach, colored chemicals, ice or copious amounts of water are necessary. One tablespoon mixed in one gallon of water poured into an empty gray tank once every other month is enough to maintain the gray tank if you are having problems.
Exactly! Nothing further.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Well said and accurate.