Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #1

cleaning RV trim

i believe that most RV's have the rubber trim on them so i thought this was the proper place for this. last spring i cleaned them with acetone and alot of elbow grease. well as seen in the attached pics it has come back full force. does anyone have another way to clean them and prevent the return.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1397.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	27939

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1398.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	27940
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #2

Looks like a HR from your pictures, I would buy a new roll and replace it fairly simple. It's the same molding a lot of boats use also.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #3

I have always found it easier to replace the trim-its available at ant rv parts store.Easiest on warn days!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #4

Throw 100 percent vinegar with a medium bristle brush then go behind with 100 percent clorox. The crud will come off and stay off.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
Throw 100 percent vinegar with a medium bristle brush then go behind with 100 percent clorox. The crud will come off and stay off.

thanx ill give it a try
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
This stuff will do the job Protect All - Product Catalog - Rubber Roof Care then protect it with this Slide-Out Rubber Seal Treatment - Protect All to keep it from coming back.

Dick
Old 10-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After you get it clean try Protectant 303. I use it on my decals and they look spiffy.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #8

If the black stuff on yours is anything like the black spotting around my door, nothing will take it off, because the surface has deteriorated and the staining is actually in the plastic. I plan on replacing mine, but in the mean time, I took some straight bleach, watered it down a little bit, carefully dabbed a cloth in it, then wiped it softly. No need to scrub, because the moment the bleach touches the black-marks, it starts to turn them white. Rinse VERY well off afterward. Bleach won't take off paint or effect it, but with that said, don't leave bleach on anything but that piece of trim.

Spray Nine Marine/RV also works, but that stuff will effect painted surfaces (in a bad way) if left on too long. You really have to take care....have the hose nearby in case you get out of hand.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #9

Tape it off, mask, and paint it. That's what I ended up doing. I replaced it all on one coach. It was expensive and tedious, but it did look great when it was done. This newest one though, has sections of it that were painted as part of the body painting, as well as other sections left exposed which were showing their age despite my best attempts at cleaning it up. Vinyl paint was easy to use and looked great with a lot less time/trouble/expense. Lesson learned here...
Old 10-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #10

Clorox clean up and a Q-tip will clean the mold. 303 to protect it. Clean up is better than plain bleach. The surface should be dry. Rub it on and walk away and let it sit.
JohnWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #11

^ yep. I just got a bottle, it's good stuff. Watch your stripes though!
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Trim gone bad

I had the same problem on my 2000 HR Endeavor...clean it and it came back..finally from suggestions on this site I bought 100 ft for $42.00 and spent 4 hours installing new trim...looks great and worth the time..

My RV was almost perfect except the trim...while it was off I also checked all the screws to make sure still tight and even spent time cleaning out the track.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 027.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	30514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 025.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	30515  

Name:	Picture 028.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	30516  
Blacknchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I replaced the trim on a 5th wheel I had and it didn't take that long to do and it also wasn't that expensive. I bought replacement trim in 100' rolls like the previous poster said. I can't tell you how many hours I had spent trying to get it clean before that and despite all my efforts the mold came right back even after putting ProtectALL on it. If I factored in the time spent trying to clean it, it would have worked out to be MUCH cheaper to replace it and it looked so much better.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #14

I guess I'm lucky. I add a few ounces bleach to my wash water every time I wash the RV and don't have this mold problem. It also cleans the awnings of any mold/mildew stains.Once you let mold get established it's difficult to completely remove the stains.
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote