Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Another thing you need to consider living in Phoenix. You definitely need to buy a water softener for your coach. Otherwise you will have hard water deposits that build up in your water lines and tanks. That is a very bad thing!

Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandcanyon View Post
Hello Friends! Thanks for all of your advice, once I dump on Monday I will clean the tank the best I can and I will add five or six gallons of water in the tank, as I live in Arizona and the temperature is already close to 90'F I do not want the tank getting dry before my next adventure! Again Thanks for all of your advice!
Good choice! The last thing you want is for any remaining solids or TP to dry out, harden in place, and become a potential blockage later.
I would fill to 1/4 full though, the water will evaporate quickly in your climate.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #17

We live in the same climate, we have no problem with evaporation in the tank when we put 5-6 gallons in the tank for storage, what we do have to watch is the bowl. We make sure we put a generous amount of water in the bowl and then check it and re-fill what's evaporated each month when we go do our monthly maintenance. A good generous flush at that time adds more water to the tank as well.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #18

We fill the bowl with water and put a few dabs of Vasoline on the rim of the bowl and then seal it with Saran. This keeps the water in and keeps the seal from drying out.

A water softener isn't necessary if you have the correct filter system. Never a problem in 16 winters there.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:58 PM   #19

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We fill the bowl with water and put a few dabs of Vasoline on the rim of the bowl and then seal it with Saran. This keeps the water in and keeps the seal from drying out.
Holy smokes, the things you learn! When mine is in long term storage I have to check the bowl fairly often. I'll definitely be trying this next time.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

We just do a normal dump & flush when headed home. If the tank gets used while the RV is parked at our Florida home, we make sure there is adequate water in the tank so the solids and paper will dissolve, just as we would when traveling.

We do not normally use any chemicals, but when the coach sits for 5-6 months during the Florida winter we may add a dose of an enzyme-based product to promote the normal tank action.

The whole notion of a "clean" black tank makes me chuckle. However, once in awhile I will fill the black tank with fresh water and add a septic system enzyme (Roebic, Rid-X, etc) to help remove slime from the tank walls. This helps the tank level sensors continue to function as they should. Enough slime can affect even externally mounted sensors.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:08 AM   #21

Keeping water in the bowl prevents orders from seeping out. But.....don,t forget the P traps on the sinks and showers. If they evaporate, orders will come up through those pipes.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:17 AM   #22

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the old bag of ice cubes down the biffy just before traveling. The cubes slosh around as you drive and help knock stuff off the sides- really!
Old 03-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We fill the bowl with water and put a few dabs of Vasoline on the rim of the bowl and then seal it with Saran. This keeps the water in and keeps the seal from drying out

Doh! That is part of the "closing the S&B house down" checklist before we head out for the summer. Never thought to do it in the coach while we're home.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the old bag of ice cubes down the biffy just before traveling. The cubes slosh around as you drive and help knock stuff off the sides- really!

That is part of our "wash while on the road step" we also add a bit of laundry soap.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
Keeping water in the bowl prevents orders from seeping out. But.....don,t forget the P traps on the sinks and showers. If they evaporate, orders will come up through those pipes.
Water? Use vegetable oil in toilet and all the traps -- it won't evaporate & it keeps toilet gasket lubed.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:00 PM   #26

If I was in Phoenix...I would leave it half full.... the arid dry hot weather can play terrible on plastics.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post

My orders only come out of my DW's mouth...not the toilet.

I too, am one of the "only use water" crowd. I've tried different chemicals and none seem to do any better than just plain ol' water. IMO, using chemicals is just throwing your $$ down the toilet.

We set at one spot for quite a while, so typically, I will drain and flush at least twice a week. I do use a clear connector so that I can see if the water coming out (when draining) is clear or not. If not, I'll refill and drain again. I also use the soapy water from my gray tank to help flush out the black tank and this really seems to help.

When we do travel, I will put in a cup of liquid laundry detergent (usually Oxy Clean) with about 5 gallons of water. When we reach out destination, I'll immediately drain and flush the tank and then put about 5 gals of clean water back into it.

Using this method, my sensors work about 95% of the time and when they don't, using the above soap/water/travel procedure will normally fix them right up.

For black tanks, WATER is your friend.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:11 AM   #28

Hello Again! Thanks for all of the information I did drain both tanks today and I flushed the black tank until only clear water was running through the clear device, also I did make sure that both toilets were full of water and that all drains had water before I left my RV, again THANKS for all of your ideas!!!

Tags
tank