Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Cleaning the black tank with grey tank water

I was thinking about connecting a garden hose from the sewage tank cap to the black tank flush inlet, to clean an empty black tank without wasting fresh water. Would that work
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2016, 12:14 AM   #2

My black tank flush needs to have pressurized water. If you want to recycle gray water, catch a 5 gallon bucket of water and pour it down the commode with toilet valve open.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:50 AM   #3

X2^^ I think you'll find you need more pressure than just gravity. Usually the back flow preventer / anti syphon device is higher than both the tanks in question.
Plus there are spray nozzles (in tank) that you might risk clogging with all but the purest gray water. Not worth the risk IMO.
I've witnessed someone using a third valve fitting on the bayonet outlet before slinky. Close it. Then letting a portion (several gallons) of a full grey tank flow into the open black, close the grey, then letting the third valve drain. YMMV.

Best of luck.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I think you would also be taking a chance of clogging the spray nozzle and the anti siphon valve. If you wash dishes I don't see any way there won't be some participles in the gray tank water. Plus I think the gray tank water usually has a bad odor anyway.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #5

If you feel a need to do this just collect a bucket or two of your grey water and dump it down the toilet. You'll create more force of loosening 'things' with this method than with a hose. That bucket of water will go with force at the exact spot everything in your black tank goes. Plus, less chance of contamination with the hose you're using/storing and with black tank stuff getting into your grey tank.

Unless your black tank is clogged there's really no reason to try and clean it. Just let it go through its intended cycle of filling/draining. You will never get it sanitized and absolutely clean.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have the SaniCon macerator on my coach and what you want to do is a simple thing with the SaniCon......just open both valves once the black tank is empty. I often do this 2-3 times (allow tanks to equalize and then dump he black. Works great when there is no water when dumping.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
I've witnessed someone using a third valve fitting on the bayonet outlet before slinky. Close it. Then letting a portion (several gallons) of a full grey tank flow into the open black, close the grey, then letting the third valve drain. YMMV.

Best of luck.
I do this with a clear adapter and it works well. Helps remove solids that have settled.
Kdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Note that the Sanicon "equalize" that Don described is somewhat different than using the flush inlet. The Sanicon just lets the gray flow back up the dump outlet until the fluid levels in the two tanks are the same. No pressure, but it does [potentially] put enough fluid in the black tank to give it an extra half-dump.

You don't actually need the Sanicon to do this, but it's a neater solution that way. Without it, you can simply close the dump outlet (cap or a second 3" valve) and then open the gray & black dump valves so water can flow between the two tanks. You probably only want to do this after the black has been dumped. Plus,the gray should probably be at least half full to get much effect, since only about half the gray water will migrate to the black tank.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:11 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
As mentioned if your tanks are on the same level, most are. Sanicon or third valve work, make sure the grey is full, mine is usually full of wash water nice and soapy . Empty black tank then shut 3rd valve , open grey it flows up into black. Shut off grey open 3rd valve black empties. The grey tank having much larger volumes allows several flushed like this. Then I prime black with grey soapy water, finally drain last of grey water to flush out hose. My Sanicon had instructions how to do this. Shutting off Sanicon is same as closing 3rd valve. Fresh water is a resource the next generation is going to valve.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #10

my Alfa has this third valve and two electric ones for black and grey.. the black tank is below the grey so after i dump the black i close the third valve and fill the black with about half of grey then dump that one again then dump balance of grey.. i really like that.. i also have water wand in black tank but dont use it every time if waiting line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
X2^^ I think you'll find you need more pressure than just gravity. Usually the back flow preventer / anti syphon device is higher than both the tanks in question.
Plus there are spray nozzles (in tank) that you might risk clogging with all but the purest gray water. Not worth the risk IMO.

Best of luck.

Tags
black tank, grey tank, tank, water