RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

Cleaning very dirty acrylic slide toppers

The previous owner of our fairly new to us motorhome must have left the coach outdoors under trees with the slides out for an extended period of time. There is quite a bit of green mold/mildew and black stains on all the slide toppers and some on the main awning. My questions is what works best to clean these without damaging them? In some areas they are solid black and green from the growth and stains. I am considering replacing them but would rather clean them up since they appear to be ok otherwise and I would rather not spend the money on new ones.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as always!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #2

I'd start with soap and water before moving to stronger cleaners

Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
I'd start with soap and water before moving to stronger cleaners
I use auto wash soap and a few oz of bleach in a 5G bucket of water. Soap removes dirt and road oils without removing wax or damaging clear-coat, the small amount of bleach kills and removes mold/mildew without damaging awning material or anything else.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:51 PM   #4

Start with powerwashing. That will get rid of 95% with the least effort as long as your careful not to overdo it.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:29 PM   #5

You have a lot of work cut out for you. Good luck! This web site gives some good hints. A little bleach and rolling it up wet to clean for a short time sometimes helps.

Also, you said it was left open under trees so what you are seeing could be a lot of tree sap with dirt over it. This web site also gives suggestions for tree sap.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-clean-RV-awning.aspx
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:30 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the replies. I did want to mention that our awnings are the woven acrylic awnings that are like fabric rather than the ones that are more like plastic. Can I still use bleach on those or will it take the color out of them???
Old 09-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You can use bleach, just like you can use bleach when washing clothing at home. In moderate quantities, no harm at all. The awning fabric is quite robust, so can handle more bleach than your shirts and socks. I use a heavy duty detergent and maybe a half cup of bleach in a couple gallons of water. If you are worried about it being too strong, start with a bleaching laundry detergent like Oxyclean instead.

The technique is to apply the detergent-bleach solution with a medium bristle brush or broom and then roll up the awning for 20-30 minutes to soak. Unroll and rinse. Repeat if needed.

Be aware the the acrylic fabric awnings have a waterproofer applied and sooner or later it will have to be re-applied. The stronger the cleaner and the more vigorously you bruch it, the sooner it will need waterproofing again. Any standard outdoor waterproofer will work fine, e.g.303 Fabric Guard.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
You can use bleach, just like you can use bleach when washing clothing at home. In moderate quantities, no harm at all. The awning fabric is quite robust, so can handle more bleach than your shirts and socks. I use a heavy duty detergent and maybe a half cup of bleach in a couple gallons of water. If you are worried about it being too strong, start with a bleaching laundry detergent like Oxyclean instead.

The technique is to apply the detergent-bleach solution with a medium bristle brush or broom and then roll up the awning for 20-30 minutes to soak. Unroll and rinse. Repeat if needed.

Be aware the the acrylic fabric awnings have a waterproofer applied and sooner or later it will have to be re-applied. The stronger the cleaner and the more vigorously you bruch it, the sooner it will need waterproofing again. Any standard outdoor waterproofer will work fine, e.g.303 Fabric Guard.
On our first 5er(1997) the awning was sewn with cotton thread. I didn't notice, DW did, being a former seamstress, and admonished me to not use bleach and let it soak-rolled up.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #9

Bleach probably won't hurt the acrylic fabric, but will shorten the life of polyester thread used to sew it, as will UV from the sun. We have restitched many acrylic boat covers and enclosures with PTFE thread after the stitching gave out. Some 15- 20 years old.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:54 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you can't get them clean enough, harsh chemicals won't help in the long run.

Replacement fabric would be best at that point.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #11

I used a house siding cleaner call JoMax mixed with bleach on both my house and motorhome. Follow the mixing instructions on the JoMax jug, sprayed it on with a cheap garden sprayer, waited a couple of minutes, rubbed it down with a sponge mop and then hosed the crud off. The black mold turned brown as the product killed it.

I did not see any damage to the motorhome.

Automotive cleaners were useless.

For small areas, I have used Clorox plus Tilex. The results were the same.

Tags
slide