Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2006, 04:28 PM   #15

I have a 27 foot class C, so my job is easier than most, but in 7 years it still looks like it is on the showroom floor! And we use it a lot, having slept 750 nights in it in 7 1/2 years!

I use sealant glaze for the sides, which is super easy to apply and easier to buff off. I have never had to polish the sides.

On the front and back end, I need to do things differently. I think this is because the air stream is harder on waxes and sealants on the end as opposed to the sides. Up until now, I always used a hard non-abrasive carnauba, and a polishing with an orbital polisher when needed (maybe every third year). I got tired of waxing and so now I am experimenting to see how long a sealant will last, and maybe accepting several sealant applications.

On the front, because of the (recent apparent) increase in bugs, I use sealant on the cabover (because after every trip I have to remove bugs which also removes wax), so it gets a new coat every trip. On the hood I use a specially-made carnauba wax from Malm's. It lasts a full year (or better - I just redo it every year). Again sometimes the front needs polishing, but I use only the finest grit polish I can buy.

It takes longer to describe than to do. I normally do the rig in less than 2 hours total.

Happy Trails

Gus Weber
Gus Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2006, 06:50 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I just did my 37' coach... I used Protect All. Great stuff - a little goes along way. I use to take 2 days the old way... Now about 3 hrs. Use micro fiber clothes.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #17

We keep our's in garage when not in use, Wash 3 or 4 time's a year and use protect-all on side's and back once a year, do front after ever wash and rain-x windshield. Also purchased a 12 ft extention paint roller pole to put wash brush on, makes washing a lot easier. Got pole at lowe's
Old 04-19-2006, 06:16 PM   #18

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I use Nu Finish and I am doing it tomorrow it goes on and off easy. You can get it at Wal Mart. It is made for fiberglass as well as cars.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:15 AM   #19

I also use Nu Finish and am pleased with the results. I try to do the unit twice a year, spring & fall. It's a lot of work but as previously mentioned, put the radio on and enjoy a few cold ones it is a labour or love.
Suncruiser Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use Protectal on the coach and the truck; takes about 8 hrs to do a thourough wash and wax with it....does glass as well!

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:45 AM   #21

It is a job, but when done looks mighty fine! We us ProtectAll a couple times of year. I have used Gel Gloss and like that too. I do use Gel Gloss in the shower. sinks and stove top...really gives a nice new shine.
Campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:28 AM   #22

A New(er) Product:

Turtle Wax "Ice"...

Goes on clear, stays clear, no white, powdery
junk left behind (down in the cracks)...

We have white, gel-coat, and you need to compound it first, maybe a 3-ft square area.
Go back right away and seal it with the Ice
Sealant. You can do a part now and a part later.

Try it--you'll like it.

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SE,

Took a while but I just took your advice. Turtle "ICE" is great stuff, especially for us dinosaurs with decals. You can wipe right over them and NO WHITE RESIDUE..wow..

Did get a lecture from one of the kids on prep, knuckled under and used a Clay Bar (buy the kit at Auto Zone < 15 bucks) on the paint..wow..not hard just a little time consuming but much nicer results. Also the "Detailer" that came with the Clay Bar is great on the front between washes/waxes.

Charlie
Old 03-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #24

When I first started tech school ,way back The instructer told us that before you buy a vehicle you should take it to a car wash and manualy scrub it down this is done so you look the car over as you scrub it The same can be said for a hand wax or a machine buff job Now when I wash my camper (30 footer) I use an automotive wash and wax product they work pretty well and don't require any buffing It does look better if you dri it as you rince so it doesn't waterspot

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:54 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I used Adams polish and butter wax on my toad. I used a Porter Cable buffer. Result was awesome!

As soon as my concrete pad gets done (starts on Monday the 19th) and I get my coach home, I intend to clay bar it and then use the Adams Butter Wax. As Adams says - "The color will POP" - and it does!!

I have been a huge fan of Zaino for years, and depending on how long the Adams lasts, I may consider changing from the Zaino paint sealant on a permanent basis.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/site/department.cfm?id=80B...16411BCED4&killnav=1

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:27 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
I do the MH about 4 times a year, always while we are camping, one section at a time. The front gets done about 8 times a year....we drive a lot. I'm presently using Meguire's NXT. It does a good job. Until now I have done it all by hand, but my shoulders are wearing out I've clayed the cargo doors but need to get the rest done.

Gordon wrote;<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have been a huge fan of Zaino for years </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use Zaino on our toad, and have contemplated using it on the MH. But I think I'm going to try Gordon's method. Buy a Porter Cable, the pads and try Adams Wax. At the worst, my shoulders won't hurt .