Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to albawsadv
Clear bra/paint protection, any suggestions?

Has anyone had any experience with using a clear bra for paint protectiond on the front of your RV? If so, what's your recommendation? Thanks
albawsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
Cat

I have had Diamond Shield on my MH for 5-6 years and am very pleased with the protection. I've been very diligent about treating the film with Protect All every 2-3 months. And it still looks good. Some members have had some real problems with the film discoloration- cracking or getting mold. The biggest issue and it worries me is when you do have to remove it-- its very very difficult to remove without damaging the paint and very expensive. I' m not sure I would pay to have installed again-just because of the future costs to remove the film and possibly have to repair the paint.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #3

After removing the Diamond Shield from the front of my Dutch Star, I will not go down that trail again. I lost some paint during the removal, so I had the front end repainted. Boy did it look good and I was pretty proud of that project! I have been pretty anal about keeping the front clean of bugs small birds and other aggravations. I have used wax and clean the front almost every day of travel. I recently started using "Rejex" on the front, but too soon to evaluate it. I understand crop duster plane owners use this on the low flying planes. I have also applied it to my sport car and high end SUV. Their web is: www.corrision.com. I am interested if anyone has had long term experience with this product. It applies just like liquid car wax.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Agree on the difficulty & mess removing the mask, I nearly had it put on, thank god it never happened
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I have had Diamond Shield on my MH for 5-6 years and am very pleased with the protection. I've been very diligent about treating the film with Protect All every 2-3 months. And it still looks good. Some members have had some real problems with the film discoloration- cracking or getting mold. The biggest issue and it worries me is when you do have to remove it-- its very very difficult to remove without damaging the paint and very expensive. I' m not sure I would pay to have installed again-just because of the future costs to remove the film and possibly have to repair the paint.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
After removing the Diamond Shield from the front of my Dutch Star, I will not go down that trail again. I lost some paint during the removal, so I had the front end repainted. Boy did it look good and I was pretty proud of that project! I have been pretty anal about keeping the front clean of bugs small birds and other aggravations. I have used wax and clean the front almost every day of travel. I recently started using "Rejex" on the front, but too soon to evaluate it. I understand crop duster plane owners use this on the low flying planes. I have also applied it to my sport car and high end SUV. Their web is: www.corrision.com. I am interested if anyone has had long term experience with this product. It applies just like liquid car wax.
Thanks for the info, I think we'll skip the shield and check out the Rejex!
Old 09-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genset View Post
Agree on the difficulty & mess removing the mask, I nearly had it put on, thank god it never happened
Dave M
Thanks, from these responses looks like we not be putting that on our new MH!
Old 09-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #8

Look into a "Bra" custom made to your coach. I have had three and install it when we travel and remove it when not. Less than $600 and front will look like new the day you sell it
Old 09-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"albawsadv"....If before each trip, you took just fifteen minutes to wax just the front of your coach, below the windshield, you wouldn't need anything.

My 2005 MH came with the 3M clear film and it stayed nice for 5 or 6 years and then required more and more work to keep it looking good. It was still nice looking when I sold it ten years later, but not as nice as I would have liked.

My new coach came with the same film, so I had no choice, but I'm now only washing it with a microfiber cloth to keep the fine scratches down, which made my previous one look bad. We'll see what happens.

I had a vinyl bra on a Fleetwood Terra and I use one on my truck when I tow. I don't want to start a war, but I think using them on the front of a motor home is worse than using nothing. Plus they create a lot of work. No matter what you do, they build up dirt under bra and will chafe your paint. If it rains, they get a lot of dirt under them and are a mess. You're constantly taking them off to clean them.

I do use a vinyl bra on my truck when I tow. I wax the nose before each trip and then install the bra, it's small and easy to remove. My concern with the truck is large rocks kicked up by the motor home. Even this small bra chafes my truck paint and I have to use some black electrical tape on the paint in two spots before I install the bra. Because it's small and easy to handle, I take it off frequently and only have it on when I'm towing the truck.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #10

I had the Diamond Shield on our Dutch Star til the dreaded mold started. I was lucky enough to find a guy in FL. who does nothing but remove that stuff. It took him about 1 1/2 hrs. and you'd never know it was ever on. I'm now looking into getting something like a bedliner sprayed on the front. Especially now that you can get matching colors.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #11

Could you share the business/location/cost of diamond shield service??
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Could you share the business/location/cost of diamond shield service??

I was in Silver Springs, FL., not sure what part of FL. he was from. It was $500 for the removal. Two guys in the same park as we were said I was crazy to pay that much, and that they were going to do it themselves. Well, after a couple days they got it off alright, along with pulling off part of the paint on their rv's. It's going to be a whole lot more than $500 to get the fronts repainted. I contacted Diamond Shield and they're the one's who gave me the guys name who did the work. I don't have his name because I paid in cash. But I'm sure DS can give it to you. By the way DS told me they now have a lifetime warranty, but told them no thanks because of the inconvenience if it ever had to be replaced. AND they said there would be no guarantee that I wouldn't have paint damage if I had to have it removed again.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:51 AM   #13

Thanjs for info. I'll call DS when I'm in S Fl this winter.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #14

Thanks Diplomat Dan! From a previous urv2.com older post to "Problems with 3m bra". Finally ended my Clear Bra Removal Nightmare, by using a 3000psi Water Pressure Washer. Viewable video at:

Thanks again!
bboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint