Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #1

Clear Coat $$

Hi, looking at buy a 37 foot coach and the clear cost on the roof is peeling. Any idea as to how much? I just hate surprizes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I noticed you never got an answer. If its not too late here is my suggestion. Drive the coach to a paint & body shop that has a truck paint booth and let them give you an estimate. Now before you pick up the phone to call the local p&b shop to get a price I'll tell you what I used to tell callers when they called my shop...if you'll hold the phone a little closer to the vehicle maybe I can see it well enough to give you a price. You can not price something like this without seeing it. ballpark-$2000 to $5000 depending on how much prep is involved.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #3

Thanks, but maybe I should of been clearer in my question. I wanted a meaningful anwser.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry... I hope someone will respond with an exact cost to repair the roof. Have a nice day.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Most likely it will have to be striped, prepped and re sprayed. As far as price I would run it by a local body shop or two and get estimates .
Old 06-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #6

Thanks blackf3504dr, I figured the coach would need some prep work. What I was looking for was someone who had the work done and could state the condition, work done, price, etc. That way, I would not take the coach to the wrong shop, and make a $2000-5000 mistake.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #7

Most coaches don't have clear coat on the roof proper. The sidewall "roll up" which is painted like the sidewall is clear coated but the rest of the roof is generally just the gel coat outer surface of the fiberglass.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I wouldn't buy that coach unless the damage was fixed first. That sounds like an unusual thing to happen. Happy trails, Joe
Old 06-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #9

JPMALY

Elkhartjim gave you the best advise. Take it to a reputable truck / bus body and paint shop and get an estimate. It's free! You do not have to let them do the repairs, but you will KNOW what the real cost is to fix the problem.
If you don't like their price or work recommendations, take it to another shop. Take it to as many shops as you want until you get comfortable with someones price and scope of work. Or, just do the work yourself.
Good Luck
CarlGeo