Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #1

Clearance lights won't turn off

On my way home today my clearance lights came on, on there own and won't go off. I tried turnning the headlight switch on and off a few tiimes thinking it could be a bad headlight switch, I also turned off the the switches on the coach to shut down all the batteries this to did not work the only way to get them to turn off was to disconnect the chassis battery. If I hook the battery back up they come back on.

Has anyone had this problem or know what else I should check??

Thank you!!
Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #2

Well Joe you don't mention the model, year or manufacturer of your MH which would help. On our coach there is a seperate toggle for the clearence lights. You may have one as well or your Headlight control box may be bad

Old 12-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #3

Oops,
2000 Southwind 32V
Old 12-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
If it isn't a bad switch, you have a short to ground somewhere in that circuit.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe you may have a Hot short due to water or something like an abrasion providing power into the light circuit. Can be hard to find. Could also be a stuck relay if the unit powers the lights through a relay control circuit. It is not a short to ground. This type of failure would prevent the lights from energizing. JM2...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #6

Are the coach tail and front parking lights on also? In my way of thinking, the coach manufacture would have tapped into the tail light electrical circuit to power the clearance lights so that when the tails/parking lights are on the clearance lights are also on.

Also as djbmsu said, there could also be a separate switch that would also energize that clearance light circuit. If so check to see if that switch is off.

Interesting problem you have. I would love to know what you find.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
A relay stuck closed? keeping them on?
Old 12-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #8

One of my vans had a similar problem with interior lights. Had to pull a fuse to make them go off...which also affected the radio...bummer. I found they use a continuous wire, hot, and break the ground at the switch. If the wire somewhere among the lights gets grounded, the lights stay on and the battery dies because I didn't notice until the next day. In my case the problem goes away in cold weather, possibly because the wire contracts and becomes ungrounded. I haven't traced down the point of the ground, but will in the spring when it begins to warm up and the problem re-creates itself.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Are the coach tail and front parking lights on also? In my way of thinking, the coach manufacture would have tapped into the tail light electrical circuit to power the clearance lights so that when the tails/parking lights are on the clearance lights are also on.

Also as djbmsu said, there could also be a separate switch that would also energize that clearance light circuit. If so check to see if that switch is off.

Interesting problem you have. I would love to know what you find.
X2....
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #10

Thanks for all the suggestions and I did find the problem, fortunately for me I got lucky and it took less than 10 min. I decided to start with the headlight switch as that was the last thing I had touched (Thinking back) while checking lights prior to retuning home, so again I rotated the switch on and off and to my surprise when I turned it off the knob with the faceplate for the headlight switch came off and the switch it's self was lying inside the dash where I was able to turn the lights off.

You see, on this switch the switch assembly sits on the back side of the dash panel and the cover, knob and dimmer roller are all on the cover plate on the outside of the dash panel. It is a push together part with about 10 little plastic pins that hold it together and over time the pins had broke from age, wear, road vibration ect. So instead of a potential costly switch I will simply drill some very small holes in the outer lip of the switch assembly and cover plate and bolt it in place.

Again Thanks for all the suggestions
joezuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #11

So glad you got it worked out. Happy Travels!

Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights