Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-04-2015, 02:26 PM   #15
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Toad Haul View Post
JACWJAMES: Not high-jacking here and will PM you. But, would love to know how you carried two kayaks on your Class C. That's my current issue....

We carry a kayak IN our class A - it's an inflatable SeaEagle. We bought it last year and love that it's comfortable, sets up in minutes and doesn't require two people to carry. It easily fits in an outside bay.

Elizabeth RVM55 and Mary
2014 Thor Ace 30.1
2014 Chevy Equinox V6 LTZ AWD
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #16
For us a 35 to 38 class A feet is the sweet spot. Just the 2 of us with 2 goodsized canine companions. Probably could go smaller in a fifth wheel but the advantages of a class A sold us

1998 Newmar Dutch Star, 3126B Cat/ Freightliner
2003 Honda Element
" Don't let the same dog bite you twice "
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
we went from a 37+ gasser to a 44+ DP.Love the extra space. I call ahead to the park we want to stay and to make sure that they can accomodate 45 ft and 4 slides. If they can't, then I move to the second back up one. Most parks unless they are super old can tuck us in. I am more concerned with 50 amp as we are totally electric. I use the "RV parky" or "Good Sam" apps on my phone and i have a Big Rigs book that have good sites. I lived full time in the 37 ft coach and it was ok for me and the dog. Once hubby moved in, it was to short. We needed a bit more space since we are planning on doing more traveling now that we got the S&B built to come home to. I perfer the 45 ft with tag to drive compared to the one I learned on. Much easier to handle the big boy.
lady puffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Went from 31' to 38'. Not once have we had a problem getting into a park. I'm sure there may be a few older CG's that have not upgraded to fit the bigger rigs, but I would think they are very few.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #19
We full-timed for 16+ years; 10 years with the 40' motorhome and the rest with a 33' 5th wheel.

Our first choice are always public parks - national, state, national forest, COE, county and city. We've used the same parks with our 40' as we did with our 33'. Honestly, we have never been turned away because we didn't fit.

I will say this, that you need to do research before attempting to just drive into a campground. If we couldn't find our answer online and it was questionable, we would park outside the campground, disconnect the towed vehicle and check out the roads and campsites. Even by doing this, we never left. We fit.

We've stayed in major national parks - Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, Bryce, Zion, etc.

Saying this, I don't think a 45' would work in our circumstances. 40' would be the tops for public parks with a few exceptions.

Another thing to do is to find some RV bloggers with a 40' motorhome. Read and find out where they stay. Here is an excellent one who mainly uses public parks and boondocks a lot.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Our only regret in buying a 40' was, well none.
Can't even say we wish it was bigger.

Well maybe the next one will be!
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:22 PM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
Went from a 43' 5er to a 42' MH. Was able to get the 5er into any campground I wanted. Do not expect any issues with the MH.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
We had a 36' DP for almost ten years. We go to Yosemite every year at Thanksgiving and know what sites we fit in. This year we went to a 40' DP and it fits in all the sites the 36' did. I know there will be some places that will cause us to plan ahead. For example, we leave for Yellowstone in two weeks. We like staying at Fishing Bridge and they have a limited number of 40' sites. We had to plan ahead to get one.

I've learned that when I call for a reservation, I often tell them it's 39'. For some reason, people get a little weird when they hear 40!
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:47 PM   #23
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Went from 30 ft no slide class A gasser to 38+, 2 slide DP 370 hp and have NO regrets. Its not just the length. Its the bigger everything...tanks, battery bank, inverter, tires, real toilet, etc. If smaller was better, we would all drive a class B.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:56 PM   #24
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I went from a 40 to a 45 and have zero regrets. The greater space and storage and carrying capacity more than make up for the few places that we can't go. Walmarts can take any size.

Be sure to drive a tag axle coach before you decide.The difference in drive comfort once you get a tag axle is amazing.
We also went from a 40' to 45' and found that we have about 30% LESS storage space. The Dutch Star had a lot of thought into storage and the CC went of looks. I find lots of spaces that could be used for more storage are covered up with fancy woodwork. In the bedroom they took one whole cabinet and made a clothes hamper out of it, nice slide out tray and canvas bag but it's 3' away from the washer. Beside the bedroom TV is a panel about 8" wide with no access to the area behind it. all it has is the wires from the sat receiver and DVD player to the TV. Also there's a pair of nice 120V breaker boxes behind a door front. Easy to access but lots of wasted space blocked off. Under the bath sink there's a section blocked off. I removed the panel and yes, there are wires and plumbing in there but there are several cubic feet of storage.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:38 AM   #25
Thank you all

Thats what I call a majority rules
We really wanted to be in the 38 to 40' range. The DP was a much nicer drive and it didn't have the tag axle. Tag axle might not be in the budget unless we can find a good deal on a used unit.
The garage storage was much greater than our gasser also.

We look forward to posting in the "New Rig" section in about a year. We are doing a LOT of shopping this time as our needs have changed and our business has grown.

Thanks again

The Webbs
1st new coach "2014 Thor Hurricane 34j"

Shawn, Tori, Ryan and "Paw's Memory"
New Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:25 AM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend you get a 40' DP! We love our Windsor!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:42 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
The only regret I had on moving up to a 38 foot is it did not have a tag axle. Moved up to a 43 ft with a tag and what a difference in driving and handling. However the 38 ft served us well for 10 years, but wish I had gone to a tag first.
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:03 AM   #28
We went from a 37' to 45' when my SIL started traveling with us and we all really like the extra room in the coach and for storage, but there are places we can no longer get into such as many state and national park campgrounds, especially when the toad is included in the length. Fortunately most of the newer places are gearing for the larger rigs.

Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote