Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-04-2015, 04:39 AM   #1
Close to 40' REGRETS

We are looking at upgrading to a DP. We were trying to stay around 34' max. We have walked in only a few and they just seem small. We currently have a 34j hurricane and it just feels bigger inside.
Our concern and question is.........
How many of you have purchased a 38 to 40' coach and regretted it due to?
Our concerns are finding places to allow 40'
Driving it in and on smaller spaces.

The next 5 yrs our coach will be used for cross country trips from florida to see our country. We 50/50 use CG and WM parking lots.

Example, this summer we will be taking a 5700 mile 21 day trip to see GC, HD, Vegas, Zion, Four Corners.
Next year we hope to take it to Alaska and be gone for about 2 months.

1st new coach "2014 Thor Hurricane 34j"

Shawn, Tori, Ryan and "Paw's Memory"
New Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 04:54 AM   #2
Entegra Owners Club
I went from a 40 to a 45 and have zero regrets. The greater space and storage and carrying capacity more than make up for the few places that we can't go. Walmarts can take any size.

Be sure to drive a tag axle coach before you decide.The difference in drive comfort once you get a tag axle is amazing.

Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:26 AM   #3
Two MH's ago we went from a 31'Class C to a 38' Class A. Wow what a difference it was! While there are some places that we used to boondock in that we can no longer get into, we adjusted just fine. Would we were go back to a smaller MH, NO! I believe the trick is to find a MH that has most of the options that you would like to have. Just be ready for a 'large' learning curve.
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:52 AM   #4
The feeling of regret usually goes the other way in that people wished they would have bought larger, not smaller.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Upgraded from a 35' gasser to a 40'DP... no regrets. Those 5 extra feet feel great! Ramets brings up a good point--it seems that bigger really does seems better, however I think that 40' is about at the sweet spot if you don't want to be restricted in site sizes. Having said that, I do see myself upgrading to a 45' someday.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:08 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There will be some, mostly public, parks/campgrounds that will no longer be able to accommodate your larger coach, but we've always been able to find a place to stay anywhere we wanted to visit. We wanted the maximum amount of full time comfort that we could afford.

We do find ourselves planning more for our trips, yet others with rigs every bit as large as ours will tell you they never make advanced reservations. I just like there to be no doubt I'll have a place to park the "mobile mansion" when I get to my destination. I'll typically have all of our stops, including fuel stops, planned before we leave home (although it's not unusual for adjustments to be made along the way). At that point all I have to "worry" about is all the things we want to do once there.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
We owned a 31' Class C for +10 years and it served us well, however, quarters were cramped. We upgraded to a 38 PKD Monaco Windsor (39'8") with 2 slides which has provided ample space and storage. I doubt that we would ever go back to a smaller RV and if I could find as good of deal as I did on the last one we would upgrade.

Huge advantages with the new one including more fuel, fresh, gray & black water storage. Huge storage space both in basement and throughout the coach. Large battery bank with solar & inverter, so we can go extended times without running generator. !0k towing capacity.

The only thing I miss about the Class C was that I had been able to figure out a way to carry 2 kayaks on top. Haven't been able to do this with the Class A.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
We upgraded from a 35 ft 3 slide gasser to a 4 slide 42 ft. We had made a list of must haves in our new coach. Lucky for us, it had everything we wanted. We cannot get into the campground we used with the 35 ft but that is the only one we have found that we cannot get into. NO we have no regrets going to a larger coach.
2008 Thor, Four Winds Mandalay 40G. Cummins 400 isl. Freightliner chassis
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
Appalachian Campers
While not a MH, I went from a 28' trailer to a 38' fifth wheel and have no regrets. Was there a bit of learning curve, yes, but I've had no trouble going where I wanted to go.
2001 HO Cummins powered Dodge 2500
2014 Sierra 346RETS
Nights camped in 2014-28
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #10
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went from a 37' fiver to a 40' DP and have NO regrets. Once you get to the 40' single or tag axle, the ride is so much better than the others we test drove. I have no regrets and have never NOT been able to find a place to park even with pulling a 20' car hauler behind it. Some state and fed campgrounds have some restricted space but if your pulling a toad you can disconnect and back in almost everywhere. NO REGRETS
Charlie & Diane Amato
2014 Thor Tuscany 40XE XTE DP
Ferndale, Arkansas
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
JACWJAMES: Not high-jacking here and will PM you. But, would love to know how you carried two kayaks on your Class C. That's my current issue....

Darren, Donna & The Wieners
Four Winds 31L
Thor Motor Coach
Toad Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #12
American Coach Owners Club
Why not 'rack' the toad and car top carry the kayaks?
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #13
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I have yet to find my 38' MH to be too big for a campground or just in general.
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #14

Went from 32 w/2 slides to 42 w/4 and tag. Fulltimers.
Pure luxury to drive!
Newer parks work out fine. Older parks not as good but still get in.
38 or 40 + 4 or 2 feet makes no difference.
Get what you like and have Happy Trails

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote