Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
My brother would completely shut down northern house, water heat everything, when he headed south for six months. As djbmsu stated it damaged the sheet rock plaster everything.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -Mahatma Gandhi
pdanders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2014, 02:55 AM   #16
National RV Owners Club
It might be worth considering buying one of those home security camera systems.

If setup correctly, you can see your house over your computer. When my father passed away, I had to keep an eye on his house until I could get a chance to deal with it more fully. I just laid the cables on the floor, propped the camera's up inside where I wanted them (doors, windows etc.) and then I was able to check out for myself at will if the house was ok. If you are short of people to keep an eye on things, this might be a big help in case anything were to burst, get broken etc. You do need an active internet connection however.

1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:17 AM   #17
Originally Posted by ewg1022 View Post
I use the fake-tv in my MH and love it. I guess I will set my thermostat to 40 do you all agree that 40 would be a safe temp for inside my home?
45 or 50 would give you more cushion in the event of failure and still save you lots of money.
2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, Andersen Ultimate hitch
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde Pinbox
1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #18
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
We just set the heat to 50 deg and turn off the water valve. Also set the water heater to pilot only. However our neighbor looks in on the house every few days.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Same here. Plus, stop the paper and mail and I put out six timers...turn on/off various lights in various rooms, same for a radio. Also, don't forget to unplug TVs, cables and wifis.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #19
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were told by the company that installed and maintains our hot water heat furnace not to turn the water off. It has to do with the automatic water makeup system.

We have a wireless GE security system monitored by FrontLine Security. In our area they use the Verizon data net. We have motion sensors, flood sensors, freeze sensors, and door/window open/close sensors. It has a 24 hour battery backup system and notifies me by email if the power goes out and when it comes back on. If it is off longer than a set time they call us.
The system uses wireless battery powered stick-on sensors and can be installed in an hour or less.
We turn the water off at the ice maker, all sinks and toilets. We leave the cabinet doors open and set the heat to 50 degrees. We put cling wrap over the toilet bowls to reduce evaporation. We unplugged the refrigerator but left the freezer on.
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
You may want to arrange for snow removal also while you are away. The more the house looks lived in the better in my opinion.
Dan & Kris Murphy

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #21
Water supply is the main safety. Our furnace failed last year with the temps at 15 below. It was discovered by my son pretty quickly, but I saved my plumbing by draining from a low point. The draining was not complete however. It froze two shower valves that I had to replace when we returned. I suppose there was a little water left in the plumbing next to the valve. I got off cheap by replacing the core of two Moen valves. We live in the country and my neighbor drives his fwd down and out the driveway every time it snows. I have a number of out buildings with water. I blow out all lines above the ground. The photos of every room is a good idea.

2007 Dutch Star 4320
2010 Mazda Miata 6 speed
Roadmaster tow
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote