Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife has been asking me for a while now, to come up with an idea on how we can hang wet clothes, towels and bathing suits outside the coach, so that they can air dry. I've looked at what some other folks have had. Some ideas I've liked, but most I didn't.

In the Reader Exchange section of the September issue of the Coast to Coast members magazine, a member submitted instructions on how to make a clothes rack out of a simple 2x4, and hang it from the roof ladder. My son has just picked up the woodworking hobby, so I thought I'd have him give it a shot. I gave him the original design from the magazine, but made several changes.

We started off with a 6' piece of redwood, and cut it down to 5'. It was notched at one end to accommodate the ladder, and then large holes were made along the length of the board to accommodate clothes hangars. It was stained and varnished. Cup hooks were added for wet bathing suits and towel rods are suspended with aluminum cable. Below are photos of the finished project.

I had my son add a hinge so the rack can be easily stowed away.

If you don't want to see clothes hanging from the front of your campsite, you can always reverse it.

I can't take credit for any of this. A kind member submitted the idea to Coast to Coast, and my son completed the entire project. What do you guys think?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife has been asking me for a while now, to come up with an idea on how we can hang wet clothes, towels and bathing suits outside the coach, so that they can air dry. I've looked at what some other folks have had. Some ideas I've liked, but most I didn't.

In the Reader Exchange section of the September issue of the Coast to Coast members magazine, a member submitted instructions on how to make a clothes rack out of a simple 2x4, and hang it from the roof ladder. My son has just picked up the woodworking hobby, so I thought I'd have him give it a shot. I gave him the original design from the magazine, but made several changes.

We started off with a 6' piece of redwood, and cut it down to 5'. It was notched at one end to accommodate the ladder, and then large holes were made along the length of the board to accommodate clothes hangars. It was stained and varnished. Cup hooks were added for wet bathing suits and towel rods are suspended with aluminum cable. Below are photos of the finished project.

I had my son add a hinge so the rack can be easily stowed away.

If you don't want to see clothes hanging from the front of your campsite, you can always reverse it.

I can't take credit for any of this. A kind member submitted the idea to Coast to Coast, and my son completed the entire project. What do you guys think?

Craig

Old 09-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Real cool idea. Maybe you should make them for sale. I really like this one. Great idea and job.
Corvette Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:44 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Very nice job...

Looks professionally made

Hey, can he make me one?
oh wait!.. Never mind..
I don't wash my clothes
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #5

What a great idea.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corvette Man:
Real cool idea. Maybe you should make them for sale. I really like this one. Great idea and job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks. My son made said he'd like to, but he's not sure if he'd make much of a profit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Long:
Hey, can he make me one? oh wait!.. Never mind..I don't wash my clothes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the warning, I'll keep my eyes open for a 32' Bounder encircled by flies...

Craig