Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Clubs??? Benefits and differences

Hi, we are looking at the different clubs out there. FMCA, Escapees, Good Sam's Club... what are the benefits to spending $$$ to join. What do you really get?

I looked at Escapees a bit and saw all sorts of things like being able to purchase a site and pay a yearly fee and they state private camp grounds but they are not private at all.

We are members of FMCA and have been even with out an RV but are really questioning this membership. We like their magazine and that is the main reason for it.

Are the bennifits of these campgrounds they offer any better then just flying by the seat of our pants picking and choosing as we go and planning in the road

Thanks for any help.
shaz

Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I joined FMCA to take advantage of the Michelin tire discount. What I'll save on 6 tires will pay for my subscription for years to come. Also, I wanted the "egg".

I joined FMA because I own a Fleetwood & to get the teeny discount on their nat'l rallies.

I thought Good Sam got you a discount @CW, but don't know that for sure. I had a free 1yr GS membership, but never went to CW & the flood of ads/propaganda from them to my mailbox was ridiculous. I didn't bother to subscribe after my free trial ended.

We don't RV enough yet (still working) to benefit from any CG discounts so most any other club isn't of much use to me.

JMO.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
You can probably recoup your annual fee through Campground discounts with FMCA or Good Sam or both.

If you want to participate in rallies or local camping group activities with these groups you will need a membership.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We joined the Elks.

They have RV parking all around the country and cost about $15 to $20 a night.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
We joined the Elks.

They have RV parking all around the country and cost about $15 to $20 a night.
Can you post a link to that info?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRasco View Post
Can you post a link to that info?

Thanks!
I have three books that are produced by a member in the Carmichael CA lodge that list every lodge in the USA that has RV facilities.

I don't know of a site that lists the information. However you can contact the lodge where you are going and inquire if they have RV facilities.

https://plus.google.com/108900478111...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Most have only water and electric with a dump station available although there are some really nice ones with full hookups.

Most will not take reservations...first come first serve but again there are exceptions. For example the lodge in Oceanside, CA near LegoLand takes reservations.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We belong to FMCA, my parents belonged starting in 1983.
Good Sam Charter Lifetime members
Escapees members
Have attended rallies for all of them but Escapees as we just joined last month.
Was also an Elks member till they closed the local lodge and mover membership to one much further away, asked for a demit but have never received it.
Now, why do we belong: Well we were planning on retiring till my step daughter died in 2008, in fact my wife was about to put her retirement papers in the next week. That left us wtih two grandkids to raise. Oldest one has moved out but the youngest is 14 and just started high school, then my wifes health has gone bad so now we may never get to full time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks!!
Old 09-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Escapees mail service is a great service for fulltimers, and rallys and magazine are good. FMCA has decent rallies too, but I don't find the magazine as good. We stayed w/them for the free med evac benefit but they killed that program so a bit iffy on whether or not we stay. Good Sam has the biggest rallies I have seen, and huge vendor turnout. You can reduce the junk mail a lot by opting out ..we quit them years ago because of the junk mail but then our Camping World President's Club was merged w/Good Sam so we were back in. Junk mail situation is much better than it was. CW discount & campground discounts are good. I think the most cost effective membership is Passport America, w/50% off for short term camping (normally 1-3 nights). Use them only 2-3 times a year and you have made your dues back!
Old 09-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

FMCA has a lengthy list of benefits - see Member Benefits | Family Motor Coach Association
Whether those are valuable or not, I will leave to you.

Escapees has some too, and maybe their associated RV parks (Escapee Parks) would be useful to you. Or not.

If free or discount camping is what you are seeking, other routes are better. Elks or Eagles or other fraternal groups often allow free camping at their lodges. Passport America and Family Campers have large discount networks, but often with some restrictions.

Membership camping, i.e. buying into a private chain of campgrounds is another option, but too much to tack on here. Search for "Thousand Trails" or "membership camping" to find numerous previous discussions on the pros and cons.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
BREAKING NEWS FROM FMCA: Just read today that FMCA has restored their medical evacuation coverage as a member benefit. I checked the website and found the following statement: "FMCA is pleased to announce that FMCAssist, an emergency evacuation/repatriation and emergency medical reunion benefit, will be an association-paid benefit effective October 1, 2014." I definitely will renew my membership!
Old 09-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #12

We, being Winnebago owners enjoy the WIT club. We found it to be very friendly and welcoming. We have several camp outs a year. You, Bob and Shaz, should go to witclub.com and check it out. For while we were FCRV members but we found them to be very clique and not very friendly. We were given a 1 year membership to FMCA. We let that expire.
If you're looking for socializing with people with like interests WIT is the way to go. If you're just looking for discounts, Good Sam and Passport America are worthwhile. Personally, we are members of WIT, Good Sam, and Passport America.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #13
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
There is a lot of good information so far. We are members of a number of RV associations for different reasons. The one reason not mentioned so far that I feel is very important is that it is important to have someone acting as a voice for the RV community. We need an advocate and FMCA and Escapees do a good job, in my opinion, in this regard. This alone is reason to support them.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What is the "egg" referred to above with FMCA MEMBERSHIPS?

FMCA-GOOD SAM
jstdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote