Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #1

Question CNG Conversions

With the price of fuel going through the roof I was wondering if any RVer's have converted to CNG. I am about to purchase a 1999 Georgie Boy Cruise Master and am considering converting it to dual fuel, CNG/Gasoline. Operating on CNG and a back up of gasoline when I am between fuel locations. Any thoughts positive or negative would be appericiated.
jeldaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I have thought about that same conversion. My understanding is one of the problems is with refueling with CNG. It is quick if you are at a commercial station. but very slow (16 hours) for a car if it's empty. Also there aren't a lot of stations around. The other option I have thought about is a propane conversion. Propane is available everywhere and can be filled quickly. One compairisson I don't know about is the cost per gallon vs MPG of gas and propane. One other benifit of propane is you already have a propane tank installed. You would just need a regulator (maybe) and solenoid valve and a propane carb, which is just a venturi with a butterfly.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
I have thought about that same conversion. My understanding is one of the problems is with refueling with CNG. It is quick if you are at a commercial station. but very slow (16 hours) for a car if it's empty. Also there aren't a lot of stations around. The other option I have thought about is a propane conversion. Propane is available everywhere and can be filled quickly. One compairisson I don't know about is the cost per gallon vs MPG of gas and propane. One other benifit of propane is you already have a propane tank installed. You would just need a regulator (maybe) and solenoid valve and a propane carb, which is just a venturi with a butterfly.
You are both fuel injected, how would a carb work?
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
J
Interesting.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
J, not sure it would work??????? there is also the ECM which comes into play and emission standards. The engine doesn't care where it gets fuel from, gas, propane or CNG. In very basic fuel system all you need to do is stop one fuel and start another and the engine will run. Same with fuel injection, no psi from the fuel pump and the engine will stop. But pour gas, vapor propane or vapor CNG down the intake (metered) and the engine will run.
There are companies that convert cars to dual fuel. They advertise the ability to refuel from your home via the natural gas coming into your home. The NG does have to be condensed into a liquid and and that is a costly and time consuming process thus the 16 hour to refuel a car if it is empty. One other plus is the amount of NG in the USA, reported to be in the 100s of years.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
J
You would have to spud in a spray nozzel in the air intake.....then a solenoid would switch between gas and propane............kinda sorta
basic. but more involved. They may make kits for some models(engines)....but the price of the vessel to hold cng or propane...would be cost prohibitive....also you would loose aprox 15% in milage....propane costs follow gas prices so ..they got ya.......cleaner burning and engines last longer....but not worth the aditional costs.........
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You would need a certified conversion package and there is none for the Ford F53 motorhome chassis. Maybe not too big a deal since there is one for an F350 gas engine already. But not cheap and you need a big CNG tank installed somewhere. And I've never heard of CNG kits for used vehicles - it is always for new ones and usually fleets at that.

Where did the 16 hour refill figure come from? Is that refueling from a home natural gas line and compressing yourself somehow? Any CNG refill station will pump the liquid CNG at about the same rate that gas or diesel pumps and take about the same time.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Gary, The 16 hour refill is from a home NG source. The NG vapor does need to be liquified in order to pump it into a tank. You're right about commercial stations pumping NG in a liquid form, like the way they pump propane. That is one of the stumbling blocks with NG, not enough commercial stations.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #9

CNG Conversions

I have been researching the CNG Conversion and a web site I have been looking at is www.ewsews.com/cgnhome.html. It is informative and being on a fixed income and love to RV the price of fuel is a great concern. This link/web page also gives a link to all refueling locations in USA and Canada, plus a monthly check on the prices. With gasoline at almost $4.00 + per gallon the CNG equivalent is at around $1.60+ depending on location of fuel station. They also sell conversions kits.
jeldaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Was just funny that the word carb would even come up. MH'ers like myself with carbs have to always defend the outdated fuel delivery method. Me, myself,I would just leave it alone. There will be a few blown engines before the bugs are worked out. And your warranty?
Would probably end like the guy who "chipped" his 8.1, not good.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Think one would see many many more CNG stations out on the interstates, highways and communities....before I would convert.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
jeldaz, I wasn't able to open your posted link. Do know what the MPG is for NG vs Gasoline?
Steve
Old 06-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #13

Go here: Energy and Water Solutions CGN kits LPG kits, Solar Emergency Power Water Storage and Sanitation,and Magnetic Water and Fuel Conditioners - then navigate to what you're looking for...
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
H......Hydrogen thats where its at.... get off the fossil fuel...maybe some day..........
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote