Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-31-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
Coach batteries

My motor home will be stored outside , no electric . Should the deep cell batteries require anything special while storing ? Thanks in advance . Newbie John

Johntraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes - they need to be kept at least partially charged. They will go dead, possible in just a few weeks, if left to themselves. Also, they are subject to freezing if the state of charge drops very low, say under 60%. If the electrolyte freezes. The case cracks and/or the internal plates get warped, destroying the battery.

If you can't get some charge to them, either a constant trickle or a monthloy re-cahrge, remove the batteries and keep them in an above-freezing place. Even then, you need to give them at least an occasional re-charge to keep them healthy.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
There have been a number of previous postings on this subject, and several different approaches to battery storage. You did not say how long you intend to store them. But as a minimum you should turn the disconnect switch off or disconnect the cables. Here is an approach that will provide protection under most normal storage. First, service the batteries and fully charge them. Then remove the cable connections and clean the tops and terminals as well as the cable connections. This should eliminate any chance do parasitic drag. Some people use a trickle charger if they have power available. I usually apply battery terminal spray to the terminals even if I do not reconnect them. If your batteries are healthy then this will suffice, no trickle charger required. I have seven cars, four tractors a dozer and a diesel motor home and this has been my practice for 50 years and it works for me. If you have a weak battery, then it may not survive the winter. With the cables disconnected that weak battery will not drain the other stronger units. I get three to seven years of battery life on all my stuff and I consider that normal.
2007 Dutch Star 4320
2010 Mazda Miata 6 speed
Roadmaster tow
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Freightliner Owners Club
When we stored our toys where there was no electricity I removed the batteries, brought them home and stored them on a bench in the garage. I bought trickle charges ($8-$10 at Harbor Freight) and left them on all winter. Those batteries where always good to go for years and years.
02 Fleetwood Discovery 37U, 330 Cat pulling a 2006 diesel Liberty..or..2011 4dr Wrangler..or..20' Lund Salmon/Halibut Hunter
csrrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
Originally Posted by Johntraveler View Post
My motor home will be stored outside , no electric . Should the deep cell batteries require anything special while storing ? Thanks in advance . Newbie John
Don't forget your chassis battery. Many coaches have a parasitic draw that will bring them down in a few weeks to a few months. At the least, disconnect it (pull off a cable end). Same with the coach batteries. The salesman switch usually leaves enough stuff connected to discharge them. If no way to get them to an above freezing environment, disconnect them. They will all still self discharge, just not quite as fast. It is best to keep a battery maintainer on them even if you have to remove them. If you don't live in a freezing climate at least they won't freeze but can still be damaged by being completely discharged.
2016 Wildwood 28RLDS
2014 Tundra 1794 Platnum,"23" T-Bucket
2011 Harley Softail, 2010 Spyder RTS
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #6

There is another option that might work for you....
Grab a few beers, drive out to your coach every 3-4 weeks, flash up the generator for an hour or so while you take care of the beers. You can also bring a partner and a crib board along, turn on the furnace and enjoy.

Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote