Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Coach burns to the ground

Parked in Cajun Palms Resort, the fella came in yesterday and this morning at 9am his Coach was going up in flames! Started in the back, imagine it started in electrical bay. They got out OK and stood and watched their Coach burn to the ground..........So sad to see! The owner is in the blue shorts in the second picture.
Check all your electrical connection's!!!!!! and make sure they are tight! My guess it started in the transfer switch??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04293.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	228696   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04297.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	228697  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04300.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	228698   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04304.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	503.0 KB
ID:	228699  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh man.....sad. Good that everyone was out, and hopefully insurance will help him.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Oh man.....sad. Good that everyone was out, and hopefully insurance will help him.
My thoughts as well.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #4

Wow. It can happen. As said, check and double check things. Check again in another 6 months.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow so sad. Glad everyone was ok.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank the Lord they were alerted to the fire in time to get safely out. Know it is a gut wrencher - think of the loss and things inside that can never be replaced.

Hope insurance moves fast to get them a new one so they can transition to their winter stay making all not lost.

Our prayers are with them and so thankful they were in a resort where there was a lot of room between them and the next rv. Think how tragic it could have been if rvs were on both sides less than 4' from them as I've seen in some parks.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #7

Well. That trip will be a memorable one. Hopefully they are treated well by their insurance co.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #8

Heartbreaking pictures. Can't imagine the feelings of powerlessness and hopelessness of the owner watching his coach reduced to charred rubble.

I too hope his insurance company takes good care of this loss and their journeys can resume.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #9

I've noticed that almost always when an RV catches on fire it completely burns up. There's never anything to salvage.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I've noticed that almost always when an RV catches on fire it completely burns up. There's never anything to salvage.
Yeah, an RV fire pretty well defines "total" in total loss.

In the last century I worked briefly in general aviation manufacturing and was initially surprised at how regulated were the materials used in aircraft interiors and furnishings. Most restrictive I'd seen regarding flame spread, fuel contribution, smoke density and toxic gasses. Aircraft interiors don't burn quickly and are resistant to radiant heat-induced combustion (it takes real flames or accelerants to get them going). The idea is to keep the flames out of the interior so passengers and crew have a better chance to evacuate.

I don't think RVers would pay what those materials cost but it seems that there should be fewer easily ignited fuel sources *inside* the coach. Once the fire gets to the engine or fuel tanks it's all over anyway, but if an electrical fire happens at night, your only hope is the smoke detector in your coach and a speedy emergency exit.

The last time we had posts of a coach fire there was link to fire resistant document bags and cases. I'm thinking for $30-$50 or so, one of them would be the ideal place for passports and other "permanent" ID, some cash, medical records for the traveling family (including fur kids), insurance and ownership records for the RV and any other documents that could be needed "right now" and difficult to replace while away from ones domicile location.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #11
PKI

My sincere condolences for the folks who lost their coach. Very glad they got out and hope they are able to recover and return to their travels. This is a terrible event for anyone to endure.

Questions - what insulating materials best resist the start of a fire? What fire prevention maintenance should be regularly implemented? What components are fire prone and should be avoided? Does anyone install automatic or manual fire suppression systems? What RV brands have fire resistant construction? Where are there sources to research this type of information?

This thread has interesting information: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/fire...dp-257344.html

When searching on fire resistant insulation, info on the additiuon of engine compartment insulation comes up, but not much on original construction. Suspect my search skills need a bit of improvement on this subject.

From a past life, keeping electrical connections clean and tight is critical in keeping electrical compartments safe from fire. However, when those breaker connections flamed, the cabinet just got smoked. Building sprinkler systems never triggered. Why do RVs burn to the ground? Materials of construction?

Appreciate your input and condolences to the tragic loss these folks are going through.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #12

Glad everyone is safe. That was an Alfa See ya.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
My sincere condolences for the folks who lost their coach. Very glad they got out and hope they are able to recover and return to their travels. This is a terrible event for anyone to endure.

Questions - what insulating materials best resist the start of a fire? What fire prevention maintenance should be regularly implemented? What components are fire prone and should be avoided? Does anyone install automatic or manual fire suppression systems? What RV brands have fire resistant construction? Where are there sources to research this type of information?

This thread has interesting information: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/fire...dp-257344.html

When searching on fire resistant insulation, info on the additiuon of engine compartment insulation comes up, but not much on original construction. Suspect my search skills need a bit of improvement on this subject.

From a past life, keeping electrical connections clean and tight is critical in keeping electrical compartments safe from fire. However, when those breaker connections flamed, the cabinet just got smoked. Building sprinkler systems never triggered. Why do RVs burn to the ground? Materials of construction?

Appreciate your input and condolences to the tragic loss these folks are going through.
Just about everything in a motor home is flammable, the fiberglass exterior, the insulation between the walls, the luan inner wall, the cabinets, furniture, ceiling, everything in the closets, the dashboard, shower surround, electrical wiring, ducting, air plumbing, and window treatments. About the only thing I can think of that isn't flammable in mine would be the frame, toilet, tile floor, window frames, part of the air conditioner and the pots and pans under the stove! Add a hundred gallons of diesel fuel, an RV refer full of flammable gas, and a tank of propane and the question probably should be why don't they go up quicker.

Sorry they lost their coach, but it looks like they made it out with the important stuff.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote