Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coach-net vs Good Sam Roadside assistance

We currently have Coach-net but wondering if anyone has a strong opinion one way or the other about switching to Good Sam.

Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
We switched to the GS roadside assistance away from our long time membership with AAA because of the lack of RV support offered bt AAA and the inclusion of all our vehicles in the GS plan. So far I've used the roadside assistance twice: once for my pickup truck and once for the MH. Both instance were positive experiences. The GS staff found a place for my pickup that was able to fix it when the "recovery vehicle" delivered it to them. With the MH, the roadside assistance staff gave me options (time to get to us) on who to could come to our aid in the MH and that was in a rest stop on the interstate. Again a good outcome despite a complicated coach electrical & MH drive train issue.

In both instances, there was a follow-up call, just after the technician completed his work, to check on the outcome of the service.

So far I'm a happy camper.

JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bees View Post
We currently have Coach-net but wondering if anyone has a strong opinion one way or the other about switching to Good Sam.
Howdy!

We had Good Sam ERS for ten years. Used them once once when we got stuck. Then on a trip to Akaska we had a break down in the Yukon. No phone, RCMP had us towed in. I called GSERS when we arrived and they refussed to pay for the tow stating they did not arthorize it. They stiffed me with a $2,000.00 towing bill. We dropped GSERS and not have Coach Net. I've used CN twice this year once in Newfoundland, CA to tow our MDT and they given us great service.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 08-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We have used Coach-Net form Georgia to Alaska and they have always been there to support; towing, finding repair facility, road service, and technical support for the coach over the phone. I recommend them to any one who travels the US and Canada. Technically competent and customer service orientated.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #5

I've used GS for many years. Only satisfied that the job got done each and every time I used the service. They did as they said they would. Should they not perform I'll be the first to drop them and then move to another service.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:04 AM   #6

Carolina Campers
I have decided to go with Coach-Net. I already have tow service as a rider on my insurance as well.

I looked at both Good Sam and Coach-Net, and I am convinced that Coach-Net has a more straight forward offering with a more specific focus toward RV ERS.

Good Sam appears to have this as one of their services, not their primary service. Also, their plan seems to have far more reasons listed as to why they will not assist you. As with many things I find through Good Sam/Camping World, they are more interested in how they can maximize their profit versus maximizing the customers experience.

Now, having said that, I still plan on continuing to have both the ERS services that I currently have. The primary reason is that if you end up with a situation where you need to have two service calls for one occurrence, none of them will cover two calls on one occurrence. An example; if you call and decide that the best solution is to have a someone deliver gas, but after they do, you determine that the real issue is a bad fuel pump and you will need to be towed after all, they will only cover the fuel delivery, not the tow.

With two service providers, you could get both the fuel delivery and the tow covered. I know some folks that have both Coach-Net and Good Sam for the same reason. My insurance rider is cheap enough that this duplicity in coverage is acceptable to me.

Keep in mind, if you did not have a ERS service, one service call that requires a tow could run you over $800 for a 30 mile tow (I know from personal experience). Therefore, one service call a year would be the cost of paying for having both GS $ CN for 2 an 1/2 yrs.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have CoachNet and have had to use them once so far. Very professional and helpful. In the brochure they say they will tow to the closest authorized RV service center, so I, at first hesitated to call them, but when I did, I asked if I had a preferred mechanic, if they would tow it there and they had no problem with it. I was pleased. They first ask if you are in a 'safe' place, they really seam to care. I will keep them.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:14 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also have both Good Sam Roadside Service plan as well as Coach Net. For the little extra it costs to have both I have peace of mind knowing that I will get help if needed. I have used the GS Roadside Assistance as well as my GS Extended Service Plan and was very pleased with both. It was for a long tow to a transmission shop and a transmission repair. Zero for the tow and $250.00 for the deductible for the trans plus Motel and meals.
When it all craps out I want someone else to feel as bad as me !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935
I also have both Good Sam Roadside Service plan as well as Coach Net. For the little extra it costs to have both I have peace of mind knowing that I will get help if needed. I have used the GS Roadside Assistance as well as my GS Extended Service Plan and was very pleased with both. It was for a long tow to a transmission shop and a transmission repair. Zero for the tow and $250.00 for the deductible for the trans plus Motel and meals.
When it all craps out I want someone else to feel as bad as me !!
I currently have GS ERS and ESP. Have not used the ERS but the ESP is currently "in the money" with a new VG Turbo for my $250 deductible. It had not completely failed but had 3 codes, one of the calibration codes had fired 243 times. The shop tested it, found it was failing and needed replacement, called it in and it was approved in 5 minutes.

I have often thought and even posted it before - that I have considered adding Coach Net and carrying both. For about $250 a year for both plans it is by most RV expense standards, it's a bargain. Hmm... Now look what you guys started.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've had GS for the last 12 years, but I will probably switch to CN when my membership comes up for renewal. I had a bad experience with GS last year on a trip out west.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
We have GS and have never had to use it....What I do like is that all the vehicles we have are covered. If I do ever use it and have a problem I will switch in a minute.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Have Good Sam, with one flat tire experience. (Good)

Thought I might check out Coach Net. Wrote them an e-mail whit a very simple question

Took them 3 days to respond. Not the kind of response I want to see in an "emergency" company.

I'll stick with what I know.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Why would you expect to get a definitive answer from a group like this? Everybody has a success story and everybody has a horror story. I doubt there is much differnce in the two if you follow their rules. In the case of getting a repair or a tow without contacting the ERS first will most always have the same result.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Have Good Sam, with one flat tire experience. (Good)

Thought I might check out Coach Net. Wrote them an e-mail whit a very simple question

Took them 3 days to respond. Not the kind of response I want to see in an "emergency" company.

I'll stick with what I know.

I had a very recent experience with CN. They were excellent. They got to our MH in 2 hours and towed it flawlessly 110 miles for repair. I don't have GS but I did have (notice past tense) AAA and we had to have our toad towed on the exact same day as the MH. AAA was far from flawless and my trying to determine what went wrong was the reason that I dropped them after 29 years like a hot potato. AAA SUCKS!!!!!!

I like to have options so I may look into GS.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote