Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know about the Coast Guard but in the Air Force all personnel being assigned to a new base receive a welcome package. The welcome package should contain the following.

Unit of assignment
Sponsors name and contact information
Housing information including temporary housing list
General information about the local area around the station

Your grandson should contact his sponsor and give him/her an approximate arrival date and other information about his family's requirements for housing.

Upon arrival at the station your grandson will be assigned temporary living quarters for him and his immediate family including pets. He will be allowed to stay in the temporary living quarters until he can find permanent quarters.

The military is very good at taking care of their own now.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
26 years in the Coast Guard and was stationed at the District in Miami for four years. The first thing I would recommend is to relax, while Miami is expensive there are tons of E3, 4's, and 5's living there. We lived in Broward county, and areas like Pembroke Pines, Hollywood, Sunrise are affordable on a E5's BAH. To the South, Homestead is also affordable.

Instead of everyone living in a MH look in to the Armed Forces Vacation Club. We used it for both transferring in and transferring out. Rates are $399.00 a week for a nice 2 bedroom condo.

With his DLA he should have plenty of money to pay for the condo while he finds a rental place. The Coast Guard gives "house hunting" time via permissive orders up to 10 days, at least they did as of 4 years ago when I retired.

Good luck.

Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
AJEarley
Methinks it will be hard to convince any doctor with a lick of common sense that 3 dogs and 1 cat are a "companion animal"...(NO matter how depressed his patient might be).

IMO the solution to the "to many pet problem" is thinning the herd by 75%.

Mel
'96 Safari
Hi Mel!

Sorry, I suppose I didn't explain myself well enough. I was suggesting that they each get one doctor's note apiece. Since they have two dogs, one note for each of them, one dog for each of them. That way their son's cat and dog fill up the two pet limit, and their two dogs don't count because they are companion animals. Does that make sense?

Generally a doctor will only issue a note for one pet per person, and people sound skeptical when I tell them it's super easy to get one. You really don't have to have a serious issue. There is so much research out there that proves a pet is beneficial to so many aspects of mental and physical health, that most doctors would be remiss to not issue a note for a companion animal.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Without the intent of driving this further off target but to correct some misinformation...

A "companion animal" is not protected in the same manner as "Service DOGS" are under federal ADA statutes. They MIGHT be protected at other levels of state or local laws.

False representation of these animals to meet personal needs is a disservice to the dogs providing these services and the people that need them.

https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

I don't see how invoking this kind of tactic is helpful to the OP's issues. There are some really good recommendations that I think are much more appealing than trying to fit everyone into a motor home.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
how not to buy a motorhome

I sent a reply in the "coast guard family needs help" and nothing shows up. I looked in "New to the community" and everywhere else. Can you help?
Norma and Don
Old 03-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The reply was really our story about buying our RV last year. Maybe it was to long.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by O2BNMYRV View Post
I sent a reply in the "coast guard family needs help" and nothing shows up. I looked in "New to the community" and everywhere else. Can you help?

Norma and Don

The only thing I see in your post history is 4 posts in this thread, and 2 posts in a thread about resetting your console error.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:11 PM   #22

Mcdill in Tampa has a campground on site. See if there is a campground at homestead. If not reach out to a local VA post, they hopefully can assist with ideas. If it doesn't help send me a pm I will try the patriot guards I know to see if I can get any ideas. Rent is mucho$$$ in Miami. Thank him for his service.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:09 PM   #23

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
The closest military campground to Miami is in the Florida Keys, and would be quite a commute. Homestead ARB does not have a FAMCAMP.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:41 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
CJ7365 has probably got it right.

In a van that size with that number of people and dogs then you will need a lot of PATIENCE if some are not to end up as PATIENTS.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:17 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hate to disagree with anyone but I AM A QUILTER with the patience of a Saint and a 76 year old colon cancer survivor. I love my family.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by O2BNMYRV View Post
I hate to disagree with anyone but I AM A QUILTER with the patience of a Saint and a 76 year old colon cancer survivor. I love my family.

Good for you on all above. It will work out for everyone involved. I am going to make some calls with some of my contacts that still live in Miami and see if they can make any recommendations.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #27

A few other thoughts:
-Check Craigslist for rentals
-Maybe leave your wife and animals at home? Hopefully this is a short time effort of assistance on your part. One less body, and a few animals less, in a tight quarters RV!
-Yes to a base advocate. And the USO used to be a good source of info too.
-Check with whatever our religious affiliation is too, as they may have temporary housing
-While not a disaster (Though with that many in an RV, close!), ask the Red Cross or Salvation Army if they have any suggestions on housing.

Thank you for having served, and best to the gent you are helping to. Appreciate both of your service.

Stay safe,
Smitty