Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Coast to Coast Resort Membership

Attended a Coast to Coast membership presentation today while shopping for a few things at camp'in world. I don't know squat' about this resort membership club, only that membership costs are 2k to 5k. How about a little feed-back on this outfit. The DW will appreciate it
gallopn'go4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many horror stories of people trying to get rid of their membership.
Check into this matter before signing anything.
You can buy memberships from other people trying to dump them but there are some problems with that also.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We have CtC and think it is great for us.
1st what kind of traveling do you plan
2nd Are you willing to do a little research
3rd Do you bring a toad/Tow vehicle with you
4th Do you plan on being on the road more than just a few weeks/months CtC may be for you.
5th Are you willing to plan out your travel plan and moves ahead of time and be flexible than CtC may be for you.
6th Do you plan on having your toad/tow vehicle with you CtC may be for you.
7th One more question. Are you aware that a lot of CtC camp grounds are not located in Tourist areas?
If you are OK with the above than I will tell you my rules when we use CtC. In the 1st eight months we saved enough in Camping fees that we recovered the 2K+ investment.
We must be within 50 miles of area we want to visit, reason we get 25 mph to toad which means I use 4 gallons of gas to travel to and back which is between $10-$12 plus the cost of camp grounds equaling $20-$25 per day[some CG have $3.00 surcharge]. Than find out what average cost of camp grounds in area. This will tell you have much you will save.
Being Full timing we do not run 8-10 hour days visiting places every day, but go out every other day and try to stay 2 weeks in 1 area.
If you read this far you really are interested in CtC.
In 1 CG we were parked next to a couple that was paying $65+ taxes per night, we paid $10 per night savings $55 X 7= $385.00+. That was the best savings and was located in a Yogi Bear Jelly Stone Park.
We have made 3 Circles around the USA and have found not all areas have good locations for using CtC, so again look at what your needs are before buying any Camp Ground membership.
We also have PA and use all the cards in our pockets-AAA-AARP-our National Park Card etc.
Good Luck in your search. Oh was the presentation in the Country Inn next to Lazy Days?

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Don't buy a new membership - get a resale if you are interested.

CtoC can save you a bunch of money IF you frequent their member parks. But you have to use them heavily to get a return on the investment in the original membership. I would not suggest it for the occasional RVer.

read & learn covered the basics pretty well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallop'ngo4r View Post
Attended a Coast to Coast membership presentation today while shopping for a few things at camp'in world. I don't know squat' about this resort membership club, only that membership costs are 2k to 5k.
You do NOT have to pay that much to buy into a home park!!! There ARE home parks out there that cost only a few hundred dollars and have frozen annual dues of $99. Or look into buying a used membership from someone selling their's.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a guy on ebay that will set you up with CtoC for $39 plus the home park fee, total just a couple hundred dollars.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallop'ngo4r View Post
Attended a Coast to Coast membership presentation today while shopping for a few things at camp'in world. I don't know squat' about this resort membership club, only that membership costs are 2k to 5k. How about a little feed-back on this outfit. The DW will appreciate it
Don't do it, "been there, done that". Check out Passport America.
Richard
Old 11-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
i just bought one for under 300 bucks to me it will be worth it i can hook u up if u like !
Old 11-13-2010, 03:15 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
IMHO Camping is suppose to be an adventure. I have been camping since 95 and I have never been in any ''organized campground group''. Willa and I love the open road without restrictions as to where we need to be at a certain time or situation. Your decision as to what you should buy should be based on what type of camping you are interested in. Some people love the ''orginization'' of CtC type places but they are not for us. We have boondocked in Utah in the middle of nothing and loved it. We love ''mom and pop'' type canpgrounds with the basics and the low price to match. We are not into swimming pools, shuffle boards, tennis courts, Bingo, covered dish suppers, socials where you discuss the ''parts you no longer have'', ''walker races'' etc etc etc. We are into Seeing nature like God made it, hiking trails, fresh air and the open road without the idea that we need to be ''here on this date''....... To us ''camping'' or ''motor homing'' is FREEDOM. This is our type camping. We love little county parks State parks, National Parks, and Boondocking. We have stayed in the ''Resort type'' campgrounds in Fla, California, New York State and other places and did not like them very much. They were very nice with tons of activities and organized ''fun (?) and things to do from morning to midnite but they just were not for us. It goes back to FREEDOM.

To me, If I had to plan my trip by campground location I would stay home.

Mind you, THIS IS OUR TYPE OF CAMPING AND IT MAY NOT BE FOR YOU. To each his own and do what is really fun for you.
I love the advise about buying a ''used member ship'' into this type of thing because I have seen a ton of them. I had a friend that offered me his FREE if I would pay the transfer fee and annual Maint. fees. No thanks friend .............

If you are new at camping I would suggest you wait one year before joining anything but Passport America and Good Sam Club. Go out and taste the fresh air and smell the flowers and feel the FREEDOM. Wait one year and then decide ......and get yourself a good road service cause you are gonna need it someday.

Best of luck . and remember this ... If you use this valuable information you must pay me ten cents the next time you see me cause good advise aint free and it aint cheep and I have spent a fortune acquiring this valuable knowledge and I need the money.. .........lol.............

Nuff said....
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND BRING THEM HOME SAFE AND SOON ...
THANK A VET FOR YOUR FREEDOM .....THEY EARNED IT FOR US ....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Thank you all for your replies and information/advice regarding C2C memberships.
We're going to take an old "leatherneck's" advice and sail the waters for a year before we decide to dock at a home port.

To read & learn: The presentation was in the Country Inn next to Lazy Days
Old 11-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Smart move!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lots of good warnings here. I wish I had had this infoi before I bought into KM Resorts through CW.
2 or 3 thousand later I find myself with 9 parks in Wash. plus $350.00 a year maint fee. and if I want more I have to lay out more bucks to join associate clubs.Someone should have smacked me 4 years ago.
Larry
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #13

We bought into the Coast to Coast via a Campground Membership in Utah back in 1988. At that time we paid about $500 for a resale with fixed $180 per year dues. Overnight stays in member campgrounds were $1. per night. All was great until the member campgrounds started to drop out. I believe they were at a high of 800 Campgrounds. They have been dropping ever since to about 300 or so now. We found the Campgrounds were far off the track, most were poorly maintained they had Blackout Holidays for Campground Members only and surcharges for A/C and cable as well as very crowded. Still a value. Then many of the really nice Campgrounds started dropping out of the system or went Bankrupt. The big exception Hart Ranch in SD a truly great place (although I think their Rodeo is gone).
Then our major problem Your Member Campground will not let you out of the Membership the dues continued year after year. Letters, phone calls on and on.
They will only let you out if you sell your Campground Membership and then you get charged a Healthy Transfer fee more then the cost of the membership
Took me the help of a Lawyer at a Fee.
Your experience may differ, but this is a Pyramid Scheme New Memberships are sold to support the Campground since the dues do not support the Campground.
Might say we were not Happy Campers overall!
Robert
Old 11-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Boy, have I found the tip of the iceberg

After my OP, I researched camp memberships and found approx. 90 membership scams, schemes, down right lies, and next to pure strong arm robbery from these jerks.

I goggled campground memberships and thought I had found a pretty good looking resale....WROOOONGGGGGG

I read a few comments from members whom have been denied access to their home parks, members who can't get their money back to include billing of dues for years after they have requested termination of the membership and, turned them over to strong arm collection agents of which, one camp owner also run the collection agency.

I need a clicky here please Ripoff Report | Scams, consumer complaints, and frauds reported.

The above website is a bucket list of rip offs from membership clubs, please read a few. It will scare the word membership right out of your vocabulary

For an example: look up the name jim jurdy, aka; jerdy; dba Timber Lodge RV Resort; dba american campground sales or campresorts.com. These names are all public record and have been listed with the Minnesota and California States Attorney Offices. Lawsuits are ongoing regarding a large number of these scam memberships.

OK, enough of my bell ringing. I'm just totally amazed at not only the number of them out there, but the criminal mindset of them.

BTW, I was online approx. 2hrs. to find all this crap about high cost ripoff memberships and the well known clubs they try to hang their names around i.e; C2C, PA RPI.

I apologize if I've upset anyone or said too much.

thanks for your replies, I enjoy the IRV2 forums.