Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
NAACat,

Where are you in NJ? I live in Hunterdon County but currently down in the FL Keys.

Since 2010, I've done at least 10 cross country trips with a few more done by my sons. Usually NJ to Emeryville, CA, Sacramento, Thousand Oaks, Yosemite, Olympia, WA, etc. I have a 40' Class A and a 20' Class B.

With all the kids, a Class C will give you the most sleeping capacity. Going out, I usually start in the early afternoon and spend the night on the OH Turnpike rest area. From there, I can get to Grand Island, NE or so and stay in a Wal Mart. Next, you can get to Wannamucca, NV and the last half day to SF or vicinity. Only you know what your kids can take when it comes to driving hours.

I'll be back in NJ after 11/15 if you want to bring the kids over to check out some RV layouts to see the pros and cons.

Good luck!

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Super C.

Just information, You might want to call Camping world in Belville Mi. I was talking to the owner of a 36' Seneca, 18,000 miles with bunk beds plus the king master suite, Pretty much loaded with a ton of extras. It was being touched up at the body shop, but the owner tried selling it to me. Was asking 140,000. but was up for offers. tv's for the kids in the bunk plus others thru out the coach. Price was pretty reasonable. Just a thought for your trip.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:15 AM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
We just completed a cross country trip in June-July of 2015 from Va to Ca and back. 5500 miles in 16 days. We took I-40 across and I-70 back so we could see more states. It was a quick run but we had a ball. We are a family of 5 and traveled with 2 other coaches, one of which had 6 on board. Our youngest is 5 but we have been Rving all his life so they are use to it. This is however our first motor home and it definitely made the trip easier. I also agree with a previous post that suggested a used coach. I just had my one year anniversary with my coach and love it. I bought it and took it to Freightliner and had a complete chassis service while I attended camp freightliner, which I highly recommend being a new coach owner if you purchase a coach on a Freightliner chassis. I recommend a diesel coach but a gas unit will do. Also check out bunkhouse units. Good luck!
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:22 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
NAACat - just did this with 3 kids, ages 11, 9, 9. Loved it. We took about 45 days. Could be done in less time but not sure what you'd have to give up.

We left from Ft. Bragg to Minneapolis, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Craters of Moon, PCH, Humboldt Redwood Forest, San Fran, Sacramento, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Amarillo, and back.

We made the trip in our 2015 Thor Challenger 37TB. It has two bunks, full size overhead bunk over drivers seat, 1.5 bath, kingsize bed, full size refrain, 5 TVs, washer/dryer and a '13 Ford Explorer toad.

Have fun - we sure did. Doing the New England loop next year.

Here is a link to our post. Thor Challenger - Coast to Coast 8500 miles

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:43 AM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
NAACat - just did this with 3 kids, ages 11, 9, 9. Loved it. We took about 45 days. Could be done in less time but not sure what you'd have to give up.

We left from Ft. Bragg to Minneapolis, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Craters of Moon, PCH, Humboldt Redwood Forest, San Fran, Sacramento, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Amarillo, and back.

We made the trip in our 2015 Thor Challenger 37TB. It has two bunks, full size overhead bunk over drivers seat, 1.5 bath, kingsize bed, full size refrain, 5 TVs, washer/dryer and a '13 Ford Explorer toad.

Have fun - we sure did. Doing the New England loop next year.

Here is a link to our post. Thor Challenger - Coast to Coast 8500 miles

Bigben,

That's an awesome run. We left Northern Va (DC area), and stayed in the following places; Va, Memphis, Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, Williams AZ (Grand Canyon), LA, Utah, Missouri. Some days were longer than others being it was a short run (16 days), but it was a blast. We are also planning a New England run next summer.
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAACat View Post
Mike and Cha,
All good points. Thanks. Actually we live in New Jersey and would be taking I80 all the way to SF. I was leaning towards the Super C Class because of the truck chassis, assuming they might be better suited to a 2100 mile drive on interstates, but I'll definitely look at some gas MH. Thanks again.
We do the round trip between Chicago and SF in a Class A gasser twice a year on I-80 (well, actually summer trip on I-80; winter you have to swing south). The gasser does fine for long trips and I can maintain at least 50 mph up the steepest grade, although that is without a toad. With that said, I don't think I would do it with four small kids. That's just me.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We started taking long trips when our children were infants, though not as long as you are talking about. We had 4 kids, and we traveled with them with a mini-van and a popup. A RV will make it much easier! Did I miss how long you can take for the travel? If you have a few weeks, piece of cake! If you have 2 weeks to do the trip and visit the in-laws, that will be tough! With kids the trick is to keep them occupied. Videos or books work well. Stop at lots of rest areas and throw a ball or frisbee around; they will drive you nuts without a way to expend energy. Always stop at a spot with a pool so they release even more energy swimming. We would send one parent with the kids to the pool and leave the other one to do all the camp set-up. Well worth it! We also started early in the morning, maybe 6 or so. Kids tend to sleep in the mornings and we would get a lot of miles in before they fully get going. We tried to stop by 4 or 5 to get dinner and that swim.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #22

I did that trip from southern NJ to Portland, down the Oregon coast to SF and back to NJ, 7600 miles last year. I have a Fleetwood Storm 32 BH, which is a bunk house model that sleeps 9. Its kinda a hybrid class A with a drop down bunk in the front(queen size), dinette(full), sofa(single), 2 bunks(bottom one converts to single dinette), and then queen in the back. Its a Ford V-10 gasser. Road well and has all the bells and whistles that you could want and I paid right around 70,000 for a 2013. Last summer took my daughter's family on a trip and took out the lower table and a pack-n-play fit perfectly. Added some extra foam in the pack and play and junior(15 mos) loved it.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #23

I've done the NJ to Ca. coast to coast twice in my Winnebago Journey towing a car. The first trip with only with my wife and I and the second time with my 3 grand daughters 9,5 and 3 and had a blast each time. We took 2 months and tryed to hit every National Park on the route. As far as what coach to use every body has there own opinion just like a hiney. Good luck and have a blast.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #24

There are a number of companies that rent motorhomes. Camping World, and Rent America, are perhaps the two most known.
There are more:
USARental.com
RVShare.com
If this were me; I would buy a Class A gas-powered MH that suited my needs and budget, take the trip, then decide whether to keep it for future use or sell it for market price.
IMO this would be cheaper than renting a MH and paying the associated fees.
You would of course, need to take a crash-course in how to operate everything, including how to drive, park, and handle the thing on the road under windy conditions.
I once bought a 1972 Allegro, 30', Class A MH. It was gas-powered, on a Dodge 1T truck chassis. I did all the driving, and it took me 5 days from Indiana to Los Angeles. By the time we reached LA, all 5 of us (3 daughters) we were completely worn-out.
If you're thinking one week to drive both directions, please reconsider your plans unless you're planning on driving at least 700 miles a day.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:00 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ghostman - yep we seriously had a great time. Only a few days that we did a long drive - 400 or more miles. I retired 6 years ago and we TRAVELED a lot. This last summer we wanted to introduce grandkids to the beauty of the USA. We got them kid based state by state atlas. Lots of 3x5 cards, smaller cameras and picture albums. Each day we'd look at the atlases and where we were traveling that day. The atlases highlighted 'stuff' along the way. That night kids would write out a 3x5 card of where we'd been, highlights and what they really liked. Pics were developed in Portland and again at Fort Bragg. Grandma then assembled the 3x5 cards and pics into the albums. The kids took home their own pictorial story of the trip complete with their own narratives. The albums were about 450 pics each.

Kids were kinda burned out on the trip after 45 days in the coach. Weren't sure they ever wanted to do that long a trip in the coach again. Once school opened back up their fellow students and teacher went wild with questions. The kids took their books into class - they are now ready to do it again!!

Morale to our story was the kids were engaged almost the whole while. Traveling down the road at speed they got to look and see our wonderful country.

Just how we did it. Old retired grand peeps. Loving it large.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving