Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2015, 07:56 PM   #1

Coast to Coast RVing

Family of 6 with children 14 to 21 months living in NJ. In-laws in CA. Looking for best coast-to-coast RV instead of trains, planes or automobiles.
NAACat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #2

How long do you have this trip? Do you have a particular time to leave and return - month-wise? What kind and size of RV do you have? If you could give us more details we'd be glad to get you rollin'.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:57 AM   #3

Whoa! 4 kids ,14 to 21 months...cross country...round trip? I'm not sure I could do it. Are you wanting to buy an RV or rent? That's a big investment whichever you choose. Renting, the mileage charge is a killer and usually the RV's are smaller, and buying is a whole nuther ball game. How much is your sanity worth?
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #4

Coast to Coast RVing

I have to agree with the suggestion of insanity going coast to coast round trip but I've exhausted almost all other options. Everyone, except me, is petrified of flying, and a 19 hour train ride from Denver to SF - even with 2 sleeper cabins - was a bust. I know our family couldn't handle 3-4 days in a minivan so my last option is a larger RV. The big Class A bus conversions are out of my price range ($1M+), and I like the safety features of Super C Class, so I'd appreciate any feedback on RV options as long distance ground transportation versus lifestyle. Thanks for the consideration
Old 10-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hope you find the perfect RV for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
You should take a look at class A toy haulers like the Newmar Canyon Star 3920/3921 or the Thor Outlaw. All four kids can sleep in the two king sized bunk beds in the garage which lets you have your own bedroom. The garage is often plumbed for a washer dryer which is key with kids plus you can store all the kids toys/bikes etc in the garage.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAACat View Post
I have to agree with the suggestion of insanity going coast to coast round trip but I've exhausted almost all other options. Everyone, except me, is petrified of flying, and a 19 hour train ride from Denver to SF - even with 2 sleeper cabins - was a bust. I know our family couldn't handle 3-4 days in a minivan so my last option is a larger RV. The big Class A bus conversions are out of my price range ($1M+), and I like the safety features of Super C Class, so I'd appreciate any feedback on RV options as long distance ground transportation versus lifestyle. Thanks for the consideration
NAACat, just do your research before you do anything. First of all you don't have to spend $1M+ to get into a nice Class A, if you are going new you can get a nice gas model as mentioned before for under $135k, and a nice diesel model for the mid to high $200's. The drive from Denver to California is only about 1200 miles which would be easy in a MH. The gas will be about $1200 round trip, and you can easily do that drive in about 2-3 days, or spend a little more time at CG's to give the kids a break. Traveling in a MH will not be hard on the kids, or you because you have all the amenities of home at your finger tips.

You need to look on line and then get out and look at them and see what model/floor plan works best for you and your family. The Class C's are nice but they generally have a lower CCC and for as many you are carrying and that may be an issue. Even the Super C's can be found in the same ballpark as the Class A gas MH's price range. There is no need to spend $1M+ on a MH just for family travel and camping.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #8

MrCosio,
Great recommendations. I hadn't thought of a Class A Toy Hauler. I am really glad I registered for this forum. Thanks again!
Old 10-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #9

Mike and Cha,
All good points. Thanks. Actually we live in New Jersey and would be taking I80 all the way to SF. I was leaning towards the Super C Class because of the truck chassis, assuming they might be better suited to a 2100 mile drive on interstates, but I'll definitely look at some gas MH. Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #10

We did a 6200 mile trip in our gas Class A Dec 14- Apr 15. All the way to Scottsdale and back to Florida then home. We even had a toad behind us and I paid a lot less than 100k when I bought this 3 years ago. Lots of good deals and gas coaches are less expensive then diesel. However, they (gas) have a lot less cargo capacity, ride is not as smooth and mountain driving will be a lot slower.

Good luck in your search. We hope you and your family finds one that works for you and you make lots of great memories.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #11

Any C is on a truck chassis. The difference is the size of the truck. Unless you are rolling in spare cash I'd be looking at a C on an E450 chassis. That lets you move out to 28-30 ft. It will sleep and seat all of you as well as being significantly cheaper. You will have a choice of sleeping and seating so folks can separate if needed. You will also have a problem feeding 6 inside unless you plan on a couple of small tables that can be used from the couch. You also get to use the overhead bunk as attic for clothes and stuff when on the road.

You might also want to consider how long you plan on taking to get there. 3000 miles in a week is a tough slog. I'd be looking at at least 6-7 days each way as well as planning some stops at interesting points just to keep the family from going crazy and taking you along. Google says ~ 40 hours of driving but that is straight driving. You also need time to get gas, eat lunch, hit a campground at least every other day so you can dump tanks fill water, etc. You should also do a walk around at every stop checking tires and anything else that might be a problem. Better to get there early than to be frustrated by being late...
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAACat View Post
Mike and Cha,
All good points. Thanks. Actually we live in New Jersey and would be taking I80 all the way to SF. I was leaning towards the Super C Class because of the truck chassis, assuming they might be better suited to a 2100 mile drive on interstates, but I'll definitely look at some gas MH. Thanks again.
Ok makes sense now, when you first said coast to coast, I was thinking a 2000+ mile trip, but then you mentioned the train from Denver to SF. Either way gas wise ballpark costs is your one way mileage or .50 cents per mile, so it will be a much cheaper way to travel. No hotel rooms, you can make your own food, and the kids have entertainment while you drive. The Class A's are on a truck chassis and usually have a little better ride when you get the 22.5 tires. Good luck, looking for one is half the fun.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You didn't say when you would be traveling but if it is next summer. In January 15-17, 2016 is the Edison, NJ RV Show exit 130 on the GSP. I went there before I got mine and it had a nice selection. I am not saying buy new but a show is one place you are going to see a lot of different models in a small area short of going to a super dealer like Lazydays in Tampa, Fl. Speaking of dealers there is a concentration in Lakewood off of exit 90 GSP. You have Colonial Itasca, where I got mine, plus Scott's and Camping World. Colonial and Scott's are next to each other and Camping World is several miles away. All have new and used for sale. Check their websites first. I went with a new unit but there are some valid reasons for buying used. Also don't worry about the new prices when you get down to dealing you'll end up 20 - 30% off the sticker. The toyhauler is an excellent suggestion for a family of younger kids especially when you want to bring bikes and other recreational toys. With all the kids make sure that you are comfortable with the passenger seating while the unit with the slides in and the use of the DVD, TV, and table top while in motion as going cross country it will be that way for many hours a day.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #14

You can get a good quality Class A - used - for under $100,000. Also plan on towing a car. It'll make life easier for siteseeing and getting around.

When are you going and how long do you have for this trip?
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving