Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #1

Coating EPDM rubber roof

Has anyone recently coated their rubber roof? I would be interested in what product you used and what advice you have to share about the project. I only have one spot about ten inches square that has turned black. I don't know if I should only coat that spot for now.
johnmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #2

John: I coated my whole roof two seasons ago. The roof was in terrible condition. I scrubbed as much of the remaining EPDM coating off the black rubber backing. The chalking with Dicor lap Seal and taping with Eternabond tape was next and finally coated with Pro Guard Coatings Liquid Rubber also packaged as Liquid Roof by the same company. Took me one afternoon to wash and dry....patching and chalking on the next day....then a late afternoon full coat with Liquid Rubber. I mixed my batches in one gallon pails (big bucket was 4 gallons with a curing agent). The roof pulled and puckered....rippled and finally flattened and relaxed (AS Described)...two seasons later and several scrubbings it is still great and very durable. I think it will help me squeeze some number of extra years from the roof before I must replace it.

No big technical glitches in coating....a low nap roller was better than a squeegee in my hands. I worked slow and complete. Did not remove my AC units as was suggested....I used a brush to reach up around the units and I let the coating get on the AC gaskets.
I used 3 gallons to coat my 34 fter and used the remaining gallon this season to hit some spots I suspected as being thinly coated.
The kit cost $270+ and I picked it up locally from an RV shop that ordered it special for me
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #3

John...I just viewed a 48hour sale from Camping World....they are selling the Dicor EPDM coating for $59 per gallon....that is a decent price.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Turning black is not a reason to re-coat. That is usially just dirt or mold in the pores of the EPDM rubber. A brush, strong detergent and some bleach should do for it.

You should recoat if you can begin to see the woven backing under the rubber - it looks a like coarse, criss-cross thread pattern. Otherwise, just clean it up good and caulk the seams and other openings as needed.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #5

I have recoated my EPDM roof twice in the last 7 years (see sig for RV info) Used DiCore EPDM materials both times.

I figured that if DiCore made the original EPDM roof material they should know what is best to recoat with. Just my .02 cents

Tags
roof