Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #1

Cocktails and the full timer

OK, so I plan on starting full timing sometime in the next year or so after a medical retirement. I enjoy an evening cocktail and a glass of wine or two with dinner. Now obviously if I'm driving, thats not going to happen... But what about open bottle laws in Washington. Here in a restaurant if you take part of an opened bottle with you, the restaurant must advise you to place it in the trunk or an inaccessible part of the vehicle for the drive home because if they were to be stopped they could be cited for open bottle if it were in the passenger compartment.

So for full timers who may have half a bottle of vodka in their freezer, a bottle of cognac and some wine, etc do open bottle laws apply to the non cockpit part of the MH? Do you have to store it in the basement? Or can it just remain in a cabinet?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 09:38 PM   #2

Most states I've been have set the restriction as the cockpit. If you keep it stored in a cabinet or fridge in the back no hassles.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMDF9A View Post
OK, so I plan on starting full timing sometime in the next year or so after a medical retirement. I enjoy an evening cocktail and a glass of wine or two with dinner. Now obviously if I'm driving, thats not going to happen... But what about open bottle laws in Washington. Here in a restaurant if you take part of an opened bottle with you, the restaurant must advise you to place it in the trunk or an inaccessible part of the vehicle for the drive home because if they were to be stopped they could be cited for open bottle if it were in the passenger compartment.

So for full timers who may have half a bottle of vodka in their freezer, a bottle of cognac and some wine, etc do open bottle laws apply to the non cockpit part of the MH? Do you have to store it in the basement? Or can it just remain in a cabinet?
I sure hope so! My dw is a retired Proffessional Bartender so we carry a plethora of open bottles in our liquor cabinet that we designed. We have never had a problem.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It is generally accepted that the living area of the coach is separate from the cockpit or driving area. As long as the bottles are out of reach in the living area, no problems. Even transit & tour buses are allowed alcoholic beverages in the back, away from the driver.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
How many people have been stopped and searched for an open bottle? Probably none but anyway put your booze in the refer or in a cabinet and don't worry about it.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
How many people have been stopped and searched for an open bottle? Probably none but anyway put your booze in the refer or in a cabinet and don't worry about it.
Back in the late 80's, several musicians and I were riding in a large motor coach from East Lansing, MI to Lake Geneva, WI for a gig. It was a 30+ foot gas unit with table in the rear of unit. Several of us were playing cards at the table in the rear of the unit - and drinking beer. We were pulled over, cited with $100 dollar "open container" tickets and allowed to continue since the driver was 100% sober.

The LEO explained that in order for us to legally drink while the coach was underway - there had to be a barrier of some sort that seperated the driver from the rest of the coach.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been on several "gambling junket" busses over the years with kegs and other drinks. Not sure how that is different. Maybe professional driver, but seems counterintuitive.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #8

Just finish the bottle and you have nothing to worry about.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #9

Ok, so what does this have to do with full timing?!

Many part timers have well stocked bars too!
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Ok, so what does this have to do with full timing?!

Many part timers have well stocked bars too!
Full timers do it all the time.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #11

As long as you can handle your liquor, you will be fine.

If you like to fish, have your attorney go over the regulations with you. The rules are often complicated, contradictory, and usually have nothing to do with resource management.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Full timers do it all the time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #13

Yeah, hey, us part timers like our booze too.. I enjoyed a couple good craft brews Friday night, while I camped in the parking lot at work, in my TC, since I got off work at 11pm and had to be back at 5:30 am the next morning, and work is 1.5 hours each way commute... Nothing wrong with part timing in a parking lot with a good brew or two.
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pretty sure that if you apply common sense you'll have no issues. For instance....Don't think that allowing your front passenger to have a drink while rolling down the highway is a good idea or not a red flag for police. In our province there should be no open liquor within reach of the driver. If there is an open but capped bottle of booze in the vehicle and the driver is sober, the vehicle would get a pass. Police simply want to ensure there is no impaired driver behind the wheel. I wouldn't expect that even folks sitting in the rear of a class A or C having a need to drink while the vehicle is being driven down the highway.

Tags
full time