Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-28-2013, 04:47 AM   #29
iRV2 No Limits Club
Since we are into serious boondocking and anything using resistance heat is a current hog we use a french press from REI when off shore power and a small Mr Coffee when on.

Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #30
Technivorm is one of the few that brew at proper temperature,now have a new cheaper one on market that brews at proper temperature,Bonavita.

greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:23 AM   #31
unfortunately, a coffee machine is a big energy hog, even a Keurig. I have a Keurig at the office and at home, but can't imagine using that much storage space in a cabinet and on the countertop for the thing.

In the RV, I use a simple teapot and Starbucks Via instant coffee. Don't think it's any slower than a machine and, at least to me, just as good.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:31 AM   #32
Monaco Owners Club
We use the small 1 cup Keurig. Quick and small
Del & Lori & Millie, (our miniature Aussie) 2007 Diplomat 40PDQ - 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, US Gear Unified Tow Brake.
hardy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #33

We have a MR. Coffee with SS therm-O pot. It brews coffee then shuts off. Coffee stays hot for hours. I found that MR Coffee makers use less watts than most other coffee makers. The one linked above use 900 watts. While many others use 1000 plus watts. Mr Coffee also makes a 5 cup model that works well on a 1000 watt inverter. It uses 600 watts.
If you will be using a modified sine wave inverter. Do not purchase a digital coffee maker. Most will die in a short time.
2004 Endura 6340D
2012 Chevy Captiva toad
ronjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #34
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
Technivorm is one of the few that brew at proper temperature,now have a new cheaper one on market that brews at proper temperature,Bonavita.
Wish I would have known that when we bought ours. Cheaper is good. ;o)
'09 Tundra pulling a '12 Arctic Fox 22H
MarkQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #35

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
I travel solo, so a 4 cup Black & Decker drip coffee maker works well for me. A big advantage is it only draws 600 watts while brewing (takes about 6 minutes) & less than 200 watts to keep the coffee warm (not that it lasts that long in the pot!). I have no problem running it on my 1000w inverter when dry camping.
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #36
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WE have a Black and Decker 12 cupper we use for regular breakfast coffee and a Tassimo one cupper that we use for Capuccicino or other special coffees with friends over during the evening.
We have a shelf in the storage that holds both coffee makers.
Vice President Operations
Family Campers & RVers
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F53
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #37
black and decker with stainless caraff, mounted under cabinet. don't have to store it or worry about it. have had it for 5 years.
'08 33' Windsport Ford 22k towing Ford Focus SE
billyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #38
Originally Posted by MarkQ View Post
I've never found the right coffee for the Keurig. The one we had at work never made a decent cup. I use a Technivorm Mocca Master at home. Cheap French press in the TT.

We used a Technivorum at home for about 10 yrs. When we upgraded the coffee maker in the house, the Technivorum moved to the motorhome. I don't think it will ever die. Built like a tank.

The house got a Delonghi full automatic. All the convienience of the Kurig but the best coffee we have ever made. Its all in the temps and the full automatics compress the grounds into a puck and push steam through which condenses along the way into a very hot and well brewed cup of joe. IE uses and expresso system to brew Americano coffee.

I have not conviced the wife we need a second Delonghi in the motorhome so we 'rough it' with the Technivorum when traveling.
38ft 2008 Damon Daybreak 3575 (forward kitchen)on Ford 22,000lb chasis, 242" WB.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #39
Nor'easters Club
There are few things that bring out massive discussions...coffee is one of them! I have 4 ways to make coffee on the road. Each has its limitations and benefits. A while back I wrote about it fro RV News. You can read what I figured out here:

WanderMan: Coffee - How To Make The Best Cup While Traveling

Sometimes you have to make tough decisions when you're an Addict!

Rich "The Wanderman"
1991 Aero Cruiser 23RBa Class A
Almost 100% Self Sufficient!
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #40

My since my wife made me stop boiling coffee in water in a pan with egg shells to help settle the grounds I ended up with a small Mr Coffee. It says four cups but really makes two cups. It has a start timer so I usually set it for 5:30 or 6 am and wake up to the smell of brewing coffee. Works pretty well using the inverter. Two cups are enough now a days unlike when I worked and it seems carried a coffee cup ten to twelve hours a day.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #41
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
12VDC or 120VAC?

Which would be the better product, a 12VDC unit or 120VAC powered?
abnjim6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #42
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
No matter what you pick, just be aware that the 12volt coffee makers are expensive and slow...like 18 minutes to brew a 8 cup pot, slow.

Best of luck
Originally Posted by abnjim6 View Post
Which would be the better product, a 12VDC unit or 120VAC powered?
If you have AC, that's better...if you only have DC, then you can get a DC coffee maker, but don't expect it to brew like a Kuerig.

They are available: http://www.my12voltstore.com/12_Volt...akers_s/83.htm

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote