Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2019, 09:30 PM   #15

+1 on Zero-G, velcro and not using a 3/8" hose...

Regarding hose storage.....

Christmas is coming... one of the seasonal items is the round (stackable) hard plastic christmas wreath storage boxes... available for real cheap at the local big box store on the day after christmas... but work fast, locally they were sent back to the warehouses a few days after christmas... they also come in soft bags in both cheap and good quality levels.

I would think that a second tier bag or three would make a good storage containers for the white fresh water hoses in your wet bay or basement storage.

For what it's worth at the S&B I use the stackable hard plastic wreath boxes for storage of christmas light strings and the associated extension cords, and of course the wreaths.

I first discovered the existence of the hard plastic stackable wreath boxes a number of years ago at the local amateur radio club... the hams have a yearly weekend event called "field day" where they set up portable stations as a disaster communications exercise. The local ham club does theirs in a county park... they have a dozen hard plastic wreath boxes that are used for storage of various lengths of antenna cable...

Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #16

I got tired of holes in those cloth covered hoses. The Az desert has lots of pokies. I also dislike the space the regular garden hoses take up and the coil memory. I've gone to one of those metal hoses. Two years on the current hose without a leak. The ends are cheap aluminum but they seem to hold up well if I don't try to cross thread. NO memory which is nice and they store easily. I don't know if they are drinking water approved and don't care because we always drink bottled water unless the CG has great tasting water and then we just refill the gallon jug.
MtCamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
+1 on Zero-G, velcro and not using a 3/8" hose...

Regarding hose storage.....

Christmas is coming... one of the seasonal items is the round (stackable) hard plastic christmas wreath storage boxes... available for real cheap at the local big box store on the day after christmas... but work fast, locally they were sent back to the warehouses a few days after christmas... they also come in soft bags in both cheap and good quality levels.

I would think that a second tier bag or three would make a good storage containers for the white fresh water hoses in your wet bay or basement storage.

For what it's worth at the S&B I use the stackable hard plastic wreath boxes for storage of christmas light strings and the associated extension cords, and of course the wreaths.

I first discovered the existence of the hard plastic stackable wreath boxes a number of years ago at the local amateur radio club... the hams have a yearly weekend event called "field day" where they set up portable stations as a disaster communications exercise. The local ham club does theirs in a county park... they have a dozen hard plastic wreath boxes that are used for storage of various lengths of antenna cable...

Mike
I use the plastic boxes from discount stores. I have one that has all my fresh water things in it. 2, 25' Zero G hoses ,my pressure regulator, a spray nozzle. spare seal washers, hose splice fittings and so on. I then have another box for all my sanitation parts they neatly stack in my storage compartment.
one thing I need to get is a good all around hose that doesn't have memory so I can roll it up like the Zero G hose. i'm reluctant to use the Zero G hose because I may get it in the nasty water at the dump station the cloth covering would make it hard to sanitize. I use a stiff hose now and wash it with a sanitizer after using it and it cleans up nicely.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #18

I've never had one of the hoses in question and have had no problem with the white fresh water hoses. As already mentioned, I simply coil the hose and connect the ends when finished using it, then place it in a plastic bag which in turn is placed in one of the "sealed" compartments. I try to keep it off the ground as much as possible when using it. If it gets dirty I wash it.

As to the size and restricting flow, I consider what size the plumbing is inside the RV and would think the line feeding it would need to be at least the same or it would be restrictive. The plumbing in ours has all been 1/2 ". An accumulator tank would probably help to keep the flow constant.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #19

Bucks2
Have looked for a source for 2 25' Zero G 5/8 or 3/4 hoses. Can't seem to find any. Many 50' but not 25'. U have any sources in mind?

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I'm with the Zero G guys. I have had just about every kind of hose but these are the easiest to store and work with unless you are like my buddy that has a hose reel!
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:40 PM   #21

I have been using the Flexzilla hose for a couple years and they are great, never kink, easy to wind up...very flexible.
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:00 PM   #22

I use the wreath holders bought cheap after Christmas at Walmart for my stinky slinky and fittings. The little plastic latching tabs get brittle and break after a couple of years though.
I bought several of the yellow CordProXLs off Amazon for my water hoses. air hose and a heavy construction electrical cord. They protect the hoses including the end fittings , keeping them clean and organized.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180118_164158548.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	265615Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180118_164119239.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	265616Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191004_120911161.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	265617Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190915_145757143.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	265618
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
When talking about large inside diameter hose might not matter that much since it connects to the city water connection that has a check valve that is closer to 5/16 of an inch.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:42 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrs View Post
Bucks2
Have looked for a source for 2 25' Zero G 5/8 or 3/4 hoses. Can't seem to find any. Many 50' but not 25'. U have any sources in mind?

Ray
I'm not a Zero G fan in my RV (but I do use them on my boat) but here's a 25' 5/8" at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/zero-G-Lightw...2705651&sr=8-4
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:27 PM   #25

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
I'm not a Zero G fan in my RV (but I do use them on my boat) but here's a 25' 5/8" at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/zero-G-Lightw...2705651&sr=8-4
I'm shoppiong for new fresh water hoses for my RV. Storage is not an issue really. I'm curious why you do not like the Zero G for your RV?
Also, checking Amazon reviews on the Zero-G there are some pretty bad ones. Granted, reviews are subjective. However, the bad ones are critical issues that, if so, would keep me from wanting this hose. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125 View Post
When talking about large inside diameter hose might not matter that much since it connects to the city water connection that has a check valve that is closer to 5/16 of an inch.
Yes and no. Each "appliance" (appliance is an elbow, shut off, wye, backflow device, etc) will have some effect of water flow. An appliance however is generally a very short length and also typically smooth metal or plastic with very little friction loss affecting the laminar flow of the water.

Hoses however are much longer and have typically a much rougher inner surface (not visible to the naked eye) which increases friction loss (yes water flow is affected by friction) dramatically. The rubber/plastic/etc of the hose liner has microscopic pits making the water turbulent inside, which slows the flow.

Stop by your local fire station and ask them if they use 1 3/4" hose with 1 1/2" couplings. I'll bet they do. The metal couplings are short and smooth, the rubber lined hose is rough (relatively). The 1 3/4" hose flows half again, or more, water than the 1 1/2" does even though they use the same couplings. Size matters.

For more detailed information just Google friction loss and bring up any number of sites that will go way down in the weeds with you. But better yet everyone knows a firefighter, buy them a beer and let them explain.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
I'm shoppiong for new fresh water hoses for my RV. Storage is not an issue really. I'm curious why you do not like the Zero G for your RV?
Also, checking Amazon reviews on the Zero-G there are some pretty bad ones. Granted, reviews are subjective. However, the bad ones are critical issues that, if so, would keep me from wanting this hose. Thanks.
First, I already have a great storage system in my RV for coiled hoses in vertical slots. Secondly in the great southwest we have prickly stuff that likes to stick into the clothlike covers of collapsible hoses. You only have to run your hand into one of them when picking up the hose to become a believer.

For years I had conventional hoses on the boat too. I had tried some collapsible hose but with wooden docks still in use in many places, it was important to not drag a collapsible hose or it'd get punctured by wood slivers. Just charging the hose sometimes created punctures as it lengthened. (you didn't go barefoot on those docks either.)

Nowadays most of the docks I visit are concrete. The only wood are the whalers holding the concrete sections together and they have few splinters on them. So the collapsible hoses work fine.

If you're looking for my recommendation, (it's worth at least twice as much as you paid for it....) I use the blue Camco 5/8" hoses. I have 3 25' sections. 50' of hose just isn't enough a lot of times when I wash the rig. This is my 10th year with this rig, (6 months of snowbird each year) and I have one hose (the one that always gets used) that is starting to show sunburn from the winter sun. I presume I'll have to replace it next year.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks2 View Post
3/8" is a poor size for RV use. It simply isn't large enough to efficiently fill your water tank, or take a shower when the washer is going. Can you do it? Sure, but why would you want to restrict yourself? If you have a small RV, use little water, or have the patience to wait while your tank takes 20 minutes to fill, then go with small. Otherwise get a 5/8" hose(s). If you don't like white, they come in blue also. (and other colors from some mfg's)

A 5/8" hose will flow over twice the volume that a 3/8" hose flows. Use short lengths. A 25', 5/8" hose @ 40 psi will flow 44 gpm. At 50' it flows half that, 22 gpm. We all occasionally need 50' of hose, so buy 2 25' hoses and use the shortest total length each time. Better quality hoses are more supple and roll much easier than cheap hoses.
Any open water system will only have the volume of the smallest restriction, unless the pressure is increased.
In an RV case it is the hose bib(faucet) opening with the smallest restriction.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, water