Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2019, 08:05 PM   #1

Collapsible ladder - roof stabilizer ?

I have one of these extend ladders and it works great.

Xtend & Climb 770P telescoping-ladders, 12.5 ft, Yellow/Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JIL0WU..._uHNPDbVKBJTFJ

But yesterday when trying to get down from my roof, it was sliding sideways and I had to wait up there until a neighbor came by to hold it for me to descended safely. There are roof stabilizers that you can clamp to regular ladders to keep them moving side to side, but curious if anyone has solved this little problem in a way that doesn’t interfere with storage in a bay?
Kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 05:28 AM   #2

It is very scary when it's time to come down. The first time I used mine was to wash/clean the roof, so everything was wet and slippery. What I do is put the ladder next to one of the slide outs. That helps, but at 65 years old my days of climbing on the roof are limited.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:57 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
I use a similar ladder. My first choice is to have someone (my wife) steady the ladder as I go up and down.

I also place it so the left side of the ladder is against a slide so as I get on the right side (from the roof) the ladder can't move away from me; the slide acts as a positive stop.

This may or may not work for you depending on the placement of your slides.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
tcg

You could try something like this. It has good reviews on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Ladder-Lockdo...qid=1571229925
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
You could try something like this. It has good reviews on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Ladder-Lockdo...qid=1571229925
Not sure if you noticed a user complained about the rubber pad on the bottom peeled right off first use. He posted pictures of it.
That would make it un-usable for me! The wife is my sure and steady ladder holder.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #6
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Not sure if you noticed a user complained about the rubber pad on the bottom peeled right off first use. He posted pictures of it.
That would make it un-usable for me! The wife is my sure and steady ladder holder.
I'm not recommending a particular brand, there are others but...

When I read Amazon reviews I read more than one to get a feel for how good a product is.

My wife is also my ladder holder but she doubles as 911 dialer.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #7

There some telescoping ladders that have a built in stabilizer. I have one like this (except 12.5') https://www.amazon.com/WolfWise-15-5...g=spyonsite-20 and can use it on somewhat unlevel ground with no problem.

I found it. It is this one https://www.amazon.com/Telescoping-S...1237704&sr=8-5

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #8

Be extremely careful and make sure everything is secured. I'm currently recovering from rotator cuff surgery due to an RV ladder accident. In my case, my rig does have a ladder but, since it doesn't go all the way down, I was using a stepladder for the last few feet in lieu of the rig's clip-on ladder extension. The (unsecured) stepladder tipped, I grabbed the RV ladder with my right arm and fell about 5', tearing my right rotator cuff. It could have been worse, grabbing the RV ladder slowed and straightened my descent, saving my legs, ankles and head.

I've probably done this 20 or more times over the last couple of years without incident but it only takes once.

Personally, although I have no personal experience with telescoping ladders, I'd be more comfortable with the Little Giant type of ladder despite it's greater bulk, but I'm no lightweight. I also suggest installing some grab rails on the roof to assist with the ladder/roof transition.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #9
Community Moderator

[QUOTE=Victory Blue;4998855]I use a similar ladder. My first choice is to have someone (my wife) steady the ladder as I go up and down.

I always ask first "if my life insurance is paid up. If she says yes, I wait until a buddy comes back to hold the ladder. (an uninterested party)"
Just being safe.!!!
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post

I always ask first "if my life insurance is paid up..!!!

Bad idea. I’m worth way more dead. Come to think of it, I should probably check the ladder for Vaseline; that sliding may not have been an accident!

Thanks for links and ideas. I was focusing on the top of the ladder- I think I can come up with a storable solution that stabilizes the bottom.
Kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
I always ask first "if my life insurance is paid up. If she says yes, I wait until a buddy comes back to hold the ladder. (an uninterested party)"
Just being safe.!!!
Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I also suggest installing some grab rails on the roof to assist with the ladder/roof transition.
Grab rails on roof is a great idea, and if you can, rails installed vertically on the top of the wall alongside the ladder setup point to keep the ladder from sliding sideways. The rails can also be a tie off point to steady the ladder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
My wife is also my ladder holder but she doubles as 911 dialer.
Multitasking!

Lots of great ideas here.

I spent 30 plus years as a cable TV repairman. On and off roofs, ladders on the side of houses and buildings more times than I can imagine. The absolute worst point of Jeopardy is stepping back onto the ladder off of a roof...
Tim-n-Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here some ideas. Many have to use a secondary ladder because their coach did not come with one. On mine, there is a large spoiler on the rear of the coach. I have a special ladder for use at home, that has a "walk thru" feature at the top, so I don't climb around the side of the ladder. When I place that ladder on my coach, I climb to the upper rungs and tie a strap around the spoiler so the ladder can't slip to one side.

I also carry a telescoping ladder for when I'm on the road. I haven't had to use it yet, but have heard that many use them next to a slide out, so the ladder would hit the slide if it slid one way. Again, I have the façade along the side of the coach. Once the ladder is in place, I would strap it to the façade, just like in the rear.

If someone feels that they may need to go on the roof and feel unsafe, maybe select a location on the roof, where you'll typically place the ladder, and install a block with a hook on the roof. Once you climb the ladder, you can strap the ladder to the hook until you're done.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:20 PM   #13

Try this:

Vacuum Suction Cup with metal body, handle and brass pump

Attach this to the side of your glide out and secure the ladder to it with a bungee cord.
Be Safe!
Old 10-17-2019, 12:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-n-Gina View Post
I spent 30 plus years as a cable TV repairman. On and off roofs, ladders on the side of houses and buildings more times than I can imagine. The absolute worst point of Jeopardy is stepping back onto the ladder off of a roof...
I've never been comfortable with the transition from ladder to roof or roof to ladder. I see workmen with the ladder extending several feet above the roof stepping on and off with ease, but I never got the hang of it.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof