Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Common Appliances and Components

Below is a list of "common" items in my Winnebago. I say common because they may be in many other brands of motorhomes.

So why would I post in the Winnebago thread requests for information on "my microwave," "my inverter," "my door lock," when these and many of the items I have are so common to so many manufacturers?

I don't, unless it is Winnebago specific, and there isn't much that is. Even the engines we share are not specific to any one manufacturer. Maybe just the specific way these items are connected, but in general we all share a common bond of RV appliances and components. So if a post pertaining to any of the common appliances and components requesting information is posted in a manufacturer/brand specific thread - I just skip over it. If it is in the "General RV" thread, I'll look at it and if it applies as one of my appliances and components, I'll answer if I think I can help.

Here is my list. How many may apply to you?

RV Appliances and components:

Ignition key: Freightliner
Dead Bolt Key: Trimark
Main Door Key: Trimark
Compartment Door Lock: Trimark
Radio: Jensen
Radio/dash: Jensen
Generator: Onan
Furnace: Suburban
Water Heater: Atwood
Converter: Parallax
Range: Apollo
Microwave: Apollo
Refrigerator: Norcold
Washer/Dryer: Splendide
Television: Samsung
Television: Sharp (Now Panasonic)
Rear View Monitor: Voyager
Rear Camera: Voyager
Side Camera: Voyager
Inverter: Dimensions
L. P. Tank: Manchester
DVD Player: Memorex
Sidewall material: Vetrolite
Patio awning: A and E
Slide Out Awning: A and E
Central Air: Coleman
Leveling System: Kwikee
Paint codes: Sherwin Williams
Tires: Michelin
Transmission: Allison 2500

I may have forgotten a few, but you have the idea.

What opinion(s) do you have? (I know, I'm leaving myself wide open huh?)

Happy trails.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My '08 Bounder is very similar. Keys, Radios, Generator, H2O heater, Refer, check, check, check.... GE on he micor/convection, Washer/Dryer check, TVs all still Samsung, Paint check. Lots in common.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just find it strange Steve, that with these commonalities, owners want to post in "owner specific" threads instead of getting the benefit of all who use the same materials. Oh well! Just my rant I guess.

Thanks for posting.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Damon,now Thor 40ft tuscany. Most of my componets are the same as yours. in reality the MH mfg just puts his box on some ones chassis. Freightliner, Spartan, Workhorse. Then they put their box on that chassis. Interstingly I've been told that many of the Front and rear Caps are mfg by another MH builder as they contract with many MH mfg. After they install the box (coach) they go out for bids on what componets they want to put in. appliances seem to be dominated by Norcold, Spendide, TV's by who ever wants to unload a bunch. ever try to purchase the EXACT same microwave as the one which came with your unit? Same for Radios and TV. You'll see a whole line of MH with Michilen tires. then go to another MH and they have Goodyears. why, bidding and price. MH Mfg are really assemblers not true MFG. A true MFG buys raw steel, makes a frame, cast an engine block, designs a transmission, rear end. then he makes the box. And then adds the componets. there isn't one MH Mfg out there that has the capability. It is simply cheaper to buy the frame, engine and put a box on it, and then add best priced componets and paint their name on the sides. Anyone who thinks any MH mfg actually MFG their entire coach is NUTZ. it is amazing to me how many RVer's think that winne or Thor mount the refrig better than the other mfg.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
I just find it strange Steve, that with these commonalities, owners want to post in "owner specific" threads instead of getting the benefit of all who use the same materials. Oh well! Just my rant I guess.

Thanks for posting.
Actually - if you had put it in a spreadsheet and posted it, you would have saved menthe trouble of doing it myself. The spec sheet in my rear closet is permanently glued there. I've tried taking pictures of it with the iPhone but not macro enough for good detail. Will try my real digital camera when I get a round tuit.

What ticks me off is I can call Fleetwood and they will give me about any part number I want - paint code etc. When I asked for them to print out the full build list in their system they say they can't - 100's of pages. I said "precisely my point". I told them - as much money as we spend on these things - do you think we would balk at paying say $100 for nicely printed, indexed book? I have the book from Cummins on my ESN and while a little disappointing - too many small part numbers and nothing for bolt ons like alternator, pumps etc. Still, glad I have it.

As for the post - when I get time - and do plan tondo it before going full time - I will have spreadsheet - maker - numbers etc recorded in a spreadsheet.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #6

All good points, however, there is a diffrence in how the "componets" are installed, wired and plumbed. Each builder has their way to do it, and as such their own potential set of problems. One example that quickly comes to mind is the Winn/Itasca windshield rust issue. It's not the steel, it's not glass, its the way it's built.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree,with yu Wayne. But some times it is finding where the inverter is hidden or how wires are run to the power awning. It all depends. I would post most requests in the general forum unless there was something specific to my Damon or workhorse.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeane
All good points, however, there is a diffrence in how the "componets" are installed, wired and plumbed. Each builder has their way to do it, and as such their own potential set of problems. One example that quickly comes to mind is the Winn/Itasca windshield rust issue. It's not the steel, it's not glass, its the way it's built.
Given - but ya can't change build out - but how many ways are there to R&R the same microwave or know what error code 25 is. Why post for that kind of info under coach manufacturer. I suspect it's comfort level with the "group" built up over time.

Why limit the possibility of getting an answer - I think that's all Wayne was saying. But next time I see a rusty window Winnie I will ask - hey are you Wayne?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice, informational thread - and I concur that there's a lot of commonality in almost of the equipment that we have in our chosen brand of MH/RV.

If I have a problem or question with any of the equipment that's in my MH, I don't post in the National or Workhorse forum unless I specifically know or was told that it should be.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank you all for your input.

Aw Steve, I'm sorry I didn't do a spread sheet. Actually I copied it directly as you see it off of my "build" sheet provided by Winnebago. I'll be very interested in your spreadsheet when you get it done.

Bruce, Yep, I realize that components may be installed (and location of component), wired and plumbed differently by each dealer and when a question is in regard to those items it is most likely better to ask it in a specific thread - no problem with that, but as someone else pointed out, error codes are just one of the many items that are posted in specific threads when they could be answered by many who just skip over a specific thread.

As for the Winni/Itaska rust, yep, when you see one, just ask if it is me. I was very fortunate that mine was still under warranty when I discovered it, but truthfully, I'm not sure it is completely fixed yet - oh well.

Yes Rom, I'm really trying to point out that it is not necessary to post in an "owner specific" thread on so many of the commonalities that we share. When I'm reading the forum, I click on "New Posts," look at the subject title of the thread, and then glance over at the thread it is posted in. If it is not General, or in my case Winni specific, I just pass over it. This morning when I signed on I had 5 pages of 50 thread per page. I don't have the time to read every one of them, but I may have the time to help someone out if I know it pertains to something I have had experience with before.

I'll wager that many of the posters in the specific thread only read those thread, so maybe this post is just a moot point.

Waiting for that spread sheet Steve.

Happy trails.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #11

Any argument one can present for a separate board, can be said for almost any RV. Even Excel trailers have their own board; although Excel is the only one dedicated to a specific trailer brand.
I completely agree with Wayne. With the exception of specific problems unique to a particular make/model RV, there is no reason to post in that board and deprive yourself of the knowledge base of irv2.com. If fact, most of the time I have the MH boards minimized because I have no need of them.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There you go with common sense again Wayne. To limit how many posts show up on the "new posts" search I ignore the brand specific forums that don't match my equipment. Therefore if you post just on the Winnebago forum I would not see it at all. Of course, I am not a great font of knowledge, so the loss if someone posts common information in one of the "other" brands is to me instead of the poster.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #13

Wayne, you again make a good point !!! In my case,, nobody here has a motorhome like mine,,, at least as far as I know,,, except one ,, sorry,, so I always read the "general " forum first... You make a good point about being thread/manuf specific... Lots of this information we can all use on our motor homes... I don't read Winnebago, etc forums as such, but I'm sure there is info I could gain for mine as we all share a few things... Closest I can get is the Spartan chassis forum, since a I have an older P32 Chevy... And most of that is newer... I'm in the middle,,, not vintage, and rare.... hmmm...

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote