Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #15
Unfortunately, we're all preaching to the choir here. I would bet that those of us that frequent the forums pull over when necessary as we're the informed bunch. There are a lot of people who don't use the forums for educational discussion, so they blindly go about their way holding up 15 cars. That said, you'd think it would be common courtesy and common sense, but those things seem to be lacking nowadays.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV
G.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While going for a Sunday night ride around the 3 city lakes (mpls) with the top down on my 64 I always pull over if there are more than 2 cars behind me. I'm in no hurry (like to look @ the eye candy) they must be so I let them pass then contiune around the lakes untill I need to pull over again. I will do the same in the country side as I will be full timing and will not be in any hurry like I said, I like too SEE the eye Candie

1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #17
Fact, noone wants to be behind a huge wall that blocks their view ahead. Driving the speed limit in the MH, someone will endanger everyone by passing just so they can get ahead so they can see ahead. I try to be a thoughtful and courteous driver, but you can't please everyone.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #18
We also leave plenty of room between us and the vehicle ahead of us in case someone just has to pass and then has a place to tuck in.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #19
I agree regarding the uninformed drivers, but I'll add those that don't know how, or just aren't in the habit of using their outside rear view mirrors.....

Absolutely clueless. They wouldn't notice a fully lit fire truck behind them, let alone a string of cars.

The jerks driving semis that take miles to pass are an irritation here as well. They live in a 65mph world and figure you should participate as well....
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #20
For most part agree, especially when in known National Parks - but that's where everyone should be going somewhat slower to take in the scenery or better still pulling over in designated areas to stop. It drives us crazy when folks (several!) stop dead on the highway on a bend to view wildlife with no thought of blocking traffic or a potential accident. Then get out their cars running back and forth across the highway trying to get a better photo or worse still hoping to stroke one. We see this one all the time and shake our heads.

What about those that are doing the speed limit or even a mile or two over and the idiot that wants to ride on their tail real tight behind - the ignorant truckers that do that and sandwich my car between them and the big semi in front and there's no way to overtake on the bends or double lines safely. I always pull over on the hard shoulder, out of fear and intimidation and then 30 miles down the road see they are on the same exit I'm taking.

Sheesh, it's far from Rvers that are the problem, but yes, some suited bureaucrat with a six figure income I"m sure will delight on blaming the RVers alone and find another reason to ban them or charge them for something else.

Not everyone takes a toad with them either and we are no bigger for the most part than many of the trucks on the same roads so why should we be differentiated against?

As has been said and observed daily, there's a lot of jerks out there driving any and all types of vehicles. My biggest pet peeve is, all day happy hour in Florida with older drivers, that think traffic signals don't apply to them, never check their mirrors before changing lanes, straddle both lanes, weave all the time, go fast then slow. Then they think they can squeeze prematurely down the turn lane and take your wing mirror off and scrape your vehicle - and we're concerned with young drivers

For sure courtesy whether on the road or in other life areas is becoming an obsolete to the detriment of the world as we know it. It costs nothing to pull over if you are knowingly going excessively slow I agree, but different situations require different reactions.

Also don't we need to remember as well that the posted speed limit is not the speed we are expected to maintain but the MAXIMUM speed we can go? Or has that all changed since I learnt to drive a few decades ago Isn't there a minimum and maximum speed allowable on main interstates/freeways/motorways? I know there is in some countries or you can't go on them.

I dunno, signs of the times and two wrongs never have and never will make a right.

PS: Oh, and while I think on, that space I leave between me and the vehicle in front is not for you overtaking me to squeeze in and get 3 seconds ahead of me at the next exit - that is my safety braking/stopping distance DUH.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #21
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I followed an RV the other day with 17 cars in tow. It was on a 2 lane hwy with a 65 mph limit. He was doing 50 mph. When the limit dropped to 55 approaching town he dropped to 40. I'll bet he got a lot of 1 finger salutes when he got to a 4 lane section in town. It's people like that that give RVers a bad name. Also a big I AGREE on truckers that try to pass another truck that is basically traveling at the same speed and they drive side by side for miles. On I40 near Kingman, AZ I followed 2 trucks over 5 miles along with about another half mile of vehicles as one tried to pass, only to give up and drop in behind the one he was trying to pass.

2006 Sea Breeze LX 8341 on a Workhorse W22 Chassis with 22.5 Alcoa Alum wheels,
2011 Chevy Colorado 4X4 with Ready Brake
Glenn and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #22

Common Consideration

Setting good example is good. Effective?
I agree with the grievances, but...
This is one of those threads that parlay the thought that a solution is not easy, but is available!
Poor driving habits started long ago.
You can pound your fists until they turn pink, curse until your face is purple, and blast your Hadleys until your ears ring, but the chances of permanently changing the driving habits of the habitual offenders is nearly nil.
Feeling better by venting might help, but expecting such acts and tolerating them makes the day go much better. Not going to such places at peak times also helps. Going to places the crowds are not is even better!
Just my view from the saddle....
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #23
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by Mrfoto View Post
Many of the tour operators want to ban the larger 5th wheels and motorhomes and there have been several petitions to limit or ban us.

Tour operators are behind this????

What will they themselves then do- trade in their huge buses for fleets of Priuses???
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #24
I'm a cyclist and the same thing applies. It's just basically being considerate of your fellow man. I've actually avoided riding with people that refuse to work with the cars and other traffic. I've decided to be the friendliest and safest cyclist possible. Sometimes this means I have to temporarily slow someone down. ASAP I let them pass and wave to show my appreciation. ( For them not honking their horn or running me over )
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:52 AM   #25
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
Also a big I AGREE on truckers that try to pass another truck that is basically traveling at the same speed and they drive side by side for miles. On I40 near Kingman, AZ I followed 2 trucks over 5 miles along with about another half mile of vehicles as one tried to pass, only to give up and drop in behind the one he was trying to pass.

In the UK there is a section of dual carriageway (2 lanes in each direction) where lorries have been banned from using the right hand lane (would be your left hand) orignally as an experiment to see if it would decrease overall journey times. Of course their were dire warnings from the Freight Transport Association, etc. of increased accidents, blah, blah. In the end the temporary experiment has been made permanent BBC NEWS | UK | England | Northamptonshire | Trial backs lorry overtaking ban

(Lorries have always been banned from the right most lane on motorways if it is 3 or more lanes in one direction)
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree 100% with the premise of this thread, show some common courtesy. We followed a black smoke belching foreign plated "land excursion vehicle" (one of those motorhomes with the 50" tires, four wheel drive, designed to trek across rough country) out of Arches National Park after sunset a couple of days ago. By the time we got out of the park he had a half mile of traffic backed up. We must have passed 50 pull outs.

I'd also like to have a word with those tour guides that would like to ban the big RVs. How much of their business, not to mention that of the many others dependent on the tourist trade, are they willing to give up to impose such a ban? I think the better alternative would be a few signs to the effect ("If you have more than 3 vehicles behind you, pull over").
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #27
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
I followed an RV the other day with 17 cars in tow. It was on a 2 lane hwy with a 65 mph limit. He was doing 50 mph. When the limit dropped to 55 approaching town he dropped to 40....
And the infuriatingly sad thing is that he's probably a nice guy in most other contexts, and if you had a conversation with him over coffee he would self-righteously insist that he was being the safe one by driving slowly.
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #28
Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Far, far more dangerous are the tailgaters and speed demons. Those travelling a SAFE speed based on the following vehicle's distance are doing what is right.

Most accidents I see are due to insufficent following distance and/or excessive speed. Lets put the blame where it really belongs. Those folks need to be taken off the road.

mangy dog

mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote