Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #43

My phone app has the Walmart's different colors for No Parking and Ask to Park and the vast majority in Florida are Ask to Park. Local ordinances are usually the reason along with Walmart not owning the parking lot. As far as spending money on food and "stuff", we would have to get that anyway and it is cheaper there. I have stayed at that park in Lake City and it is an OK park. Walmart is going to be very hard to beat. We live about 3 hours South of Lake City and it is a great spot to clean out my tanks before getting home. Walmart overnighting isn't really all about the money, but the easy in easy out and the shopping and dinning within walking distance. We love Walmart.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #44

The 3 locations mentioned for Jacksonville are ones I wouldn't want to stay overnight in anyway. Either bad neighborhood or near enough to one that would have trouble find you there.

NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #45
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Let's keep the discussion centered on promoting CG's w/low cost, overnight-only spots. We've got plenty of chat on WM parking elsewhere

Thanks,
Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:28 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well....that's one way to complete the conversation....
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:18 AM   #47

Passport America is a great way to find half price campgrounds and with their phone app linking up to your smart phone, you can get turn by turn directions right to it. Many savvy campground owners use Passport America to fill sites that would otherwise go empty.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #48
doc

Appalachian Campers
The low cost bargain overnite concept has been around for many years. Christiansburg, Virginia had such a place many years ago before I-81 was remodeled and widened. Guy had several sites at 30 and 50 amps, water also. You simply pulled in and selected a site, put 20 (50 amp) in an envelope and slid it through a slot in a small door. No records or check in. As an afterthought he had a laundry on site was well.
Sadly it is all destroyed
Old 04-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Spoke with a campground operator yesterday and he stated that they are putting in some new sites to try to get some of the walmart crowd. They will be low cost sites with limited services. Sounds good to me. He is right off I-75 in Lake City Fl. Maybe it will work out for him.

BTW Casey Jones Campground
He better advertise so people know he's there.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Passport America is a great way to find half price campgrounds and with their phone app linking up to your smart phone, you can get turn by turn directions right to it. Many savvy campground owners use Passport America to fill sites that would otherwise go empty.
How close to the Interstates are they? Few of us weary travelers want to drive 15, 20 miles out of our way just to eat and sleep on our way from point A to point B.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #51

We have stayed at over 100 Passport America camp grounds and they average just about like the average of all camp grounds. In Florida, for example, there are over 400 of them. Some are luxury and some are cheap, just like the average of the other parks. They have restriction of holiday weekends (made by the park itself). Some are close in and some are not. The whole idea is to fill a site that would otherwise be empty. Works out great for the park owner and the camper. They have a handy smart phone app also.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I'd bet people over night anyway I have 2 local WM with signs posted and still see overnighters.
I agree. Stopped at one in FL and manager said " I can't say yes and I can't say no". We stayed and had no problem.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
How close to the Interstates are they? Few of us weary travelers want to drive 15, 20 miles out of our way just to eat and sleep on our way from point A to point B.
If he was any closer to I-75, noise may would be a problem
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #54

Amen Topdown...to having a place like the national chain of Walmart's that allow us to pull in at 0'dark'thirty....get some groceries or a part for our rigs and use their parking lot for a few hours to nap. When I am traveling...no need for a camp ground service to use up my driving time and nap time. I need a quick pull in and pull out service that has all the offerings of Walmart. THANK YOU WALMART.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Even with the ease and low cost of a over night camp spot, I can't go shopping when I get there, unless I unhook the TOAD and go, We use to go shopping, carry it in the house, when the day comes to load up to leave, carry the stuff out to the Coach and load it up, now we have learned just to take our list with us,get out and stretch our legs after a day of traveling, shop, and back to the Coach with everything we needed. A lot less work and running around........
Most all of our over night stops don't require electric,sewer, water......as we already have it. We left Colorado last fall heading for home here in Pa. and did not stay in a campground on the 4 day trip home......We enjoyed waking up at a Cracker Barrel and having breakfest(Dinner the night before)..........Then on the road.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #56

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
Amen Topdown...to having a place like the national chain of Walmart's that allow us to pull in at 0'dark'thirty....get some groceries or a part for our rigs and use their parking lot for a few hours to nap. When I am traveling...no need for a camp ground service to use up my driving time and nap time. I need a quick pull in and pull out service that has all the offerings of Walmart. THANK YOU WALMART.
Well said, that is it in a nutshell. I don't know if any campground can compete with WM on the basis of convenience for a quick overnight stop. One big exception: in hot weather I want electric and will use a campground for a quick stop only if it is within a mile or two of the highway. Who wants to drive miles and miles off route and then have to do it againto get back on the road in the AM?

At the destination it is a different story all together. No WM for me there, we want a nice RV park.