Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have 900 watts of solar panels (3x300) and lately, after a night running the fridge, batteries are down at least 25% but by 9 AM they are fully charged. Way too much solar for the summer, but I suspect just right for the cloudy winters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_6282.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	136284   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_6283.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	136285  

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
You will indeed overload the coach!

Statements like this are not all true! My coach is not overloaded!

[QUOTE=spdracr39 Unless you pull a trailer full of solar panels and batteries you will never be 100% off grid. Of course you could wave all the modern day amenities and go little house on the prairie style.[/QUOTE]

NOT true we did it for 10 months off grid. Obviously we did need to get water and dump at different places that worked out for us.

05 Monaco, Signature 525 Hp Cummins looks like I have a little house on the prairie.

1810 Watts
1350 Ah

C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think most could get by with 600 watts of solar and 6 batteries and be fine even on the biggest of coaches. Of course no A/C but otherwise its only up to your holding tanks how long you could go.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
How do you run an air conditioner via propane?
Propane generator
Old 08-18-2016, 01:20 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax57 View Post
So I. Getting a custom Class A diesel RV. Since it's custom I would only want skinny windows on top sides of RV. I plan to maximum the roof and sides with solar and lots of battery banks.
Is it really possible to be 100 percent off grid such as to run my full size fridge/freezer, lights and TVs on solar? Lights would be off most times and I wouldn't travel much, just to different camp sites every few weeks over summer. Thoughts on going completely on solar?
"Off-grid" generally means nothing constantly plugged in to your RV. And as long as you have plenty fuel, propane and water then plug-ins are not needed. With at least 600 watts of solar then electricity is not a problem and you can still run your A/C's with the generator. The only time I plug in is when I need A/C 24 hours a day to save generator fuel which can get more expensive than RV park fees.

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Old 08-18-2016, 01:21 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
I have 900 watts of solar panels (3x300) and lately, after a night running the fridge, batteries are down at least 25% but by 9 AM they are fully charged. Way too much solar for the summer, but I suspect just right for the cloudy winters.
Thanks you liking being off grid? Feels cool?
Old 08-18-2016, 02:18 AM   #21

Good Luck!

Good luck , and keep us posted on how it goes!
Old 08-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #22

You can likely locate spreadsheet tools or create one that includes all of your loads an duty times to determine your power needs as well as panel capacities but also note they only output full capacity with almost direct light so being flat on the roof may degrade output.

Batteries have a lot of weight and if building from scratch investigate other options such as lithium power and marine 12 volt ( compressor type) fridge.

Depending on where yiu will be traveling a Swamp cooler could be enough cooling or as many homes around here have done due to our dry area have both SC and HVAC.

On warm days cooler does the job and when it cannot cut it the ac is used.

Another poster had asked about a unit for rv use so there may be some options.

Also consider adding insulation to all sides as well as an insert for the front window.

The heat load is what determines the how well climate is controlled inside to just like current homes if yiu are starting from scratch then request additional insulation be placed wherever it can and look into having a portable barrier that you can place on the dash to cover the window if needed to reduce heat load. Can be plexiglass to allow view but blocking heat is the goal.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
If money is not a problem and it is a custom coach. One could do a high amp hour lithium battery or batteries and be lower weight than lead. This also enables high voltage battery bank and charger/inverter although most lithium packs come with there own charging intelligent system. I would think configured correctly one could run a small bed area A/C as well. Just a couple high dollar thoughts.

LEN
Old 08-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax57 View Post
Thanks you liking being off grid? Feels cool?
Yes, except in the summer. When I retire, I am heading for the mountains.

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"