Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
Concealed Carry holders and Maryland

Not sure if this thread is allowed. If not, maybe it can be moved to the appropriate place. I know many RVers also are concealed carry permit holders. The linked Tampa Tribune article describes how the state of Maryland has linked automated licence plate readers to various state concealed carry databases and are using the information to stop. People are being stopped because of this. The officer compares the driver to the photo on the licence. This is a great technological feat for sure, but it means RVers can not carry a fire arm at all as they go through many, many states. I, myself had done so in all of the lower 48 and never had them out of the coach. Strictly for that one in a million chance of home protection. Looks like can now get you into big trouble. We were planning to make a trip to Washington, DC and stay in Cherry Hill once again. That would get me arrested.

UNREAL: Unarmed But Legal Florida CCW Gun Owner Drives Through Maryland – Then It Goes Downhill…. | The Last Refuge

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
I'm very curious about this thread. I will be spending my traveling dollars in states that welcome my right to self defense.

Spinner & Gang
2000 MADP ISC350 2003 Jeep Liberty toad
"Working towards the next vacation!"
Old 01-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As will I also spend my money in gun friendly states!

2012 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH Diesel Pusher, TireTraker TPMS
'08 Honda CRV Protect-a-Tow
Old 01-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I'm with him !! I review this link: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry And stay out of anti-2nd amendment states!!
Ken & Anita
2011 Newmar Essex, 45'- 4522, Cummins 500 ISM, 2013 CRV, RVI2 Brake with TPMS
Old 01-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
I'm with him !! I review this link: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry And stay out of anti-2nd amendment states!!
I too agree! The right to protect my family and property is foremost. Plenty of states out there that will welcome our tourism and money.
2008 Dutchmen 31F, E450, 6.8 V10, Blue Ox, ReadyBrake - 2013 Honda Fit Toad
Old 01-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This thread has been on very thin ice since it was posted, it's a young post but already straying from the Comumnity Rules

General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of iRV2. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
Old 01-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
It's clear that the digital age is a double edged sword. It's more than gun rights, it's privacy rights too. I'm afraid we'll never be able to put the Genie back in the bottle again...
Ron & Kathy FMCA F327322
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Old 01-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Handgunlaw.us is a great site. Go to Maryland and go through the latest rules there.
Generally there is a FAQ and look for traveling in an rv. Most states allow for having the gun unloaded in the vehicle, with the ammo separated from the weapon. Be careful of the rules, and you can always contact the state police and ask your questions.
I am not a lawyer, and I didn't sleep in a holiday inn last night. This information is
worth all that you paid for it. I will say handgunlaw.us is up to date on most things.
Enjoy your trip and bypass any state that may be a problem to you.
1999 NEWMAR American Star * Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally * Curt Q20 * Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
This story has sent a real chill up my spine! Frightening!
1997 F53 Adventurer 37rw
IAFF L-792 (Retired)
Old 01-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't own a gun or shotgun, Never have. I took gun training back 50 years ago and this was covered back then. I remember that my parents always kept the Ammo in a different room also.
Of course back then we slept with the doors @ the S&B open too... I have been thinking about one now that we will be on the road. What do the hunters do when they go hunting? I don't know.
Never thought about it, Worth checking out.
Thanks, tb
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #11
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some good info here.

NRA-ILA | Guide To The Interstate Transportation

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
Old 01-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
I just wrote Cherry Hill RV park in Maryland outside of Washington, DC and gave them a link to the article and told them we would not be staying there this summer. I knew when I started this thread, that it could be a problem, but I was wanting to save RVers any potential problems. Here in Florida, we have had lots of legal problems with the red light cameras which is a similar license plate reader situation.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #13
Freightliner Owners Club
Raises some questions. Florida's concealed carry permit is issued by and records maintained by the FL Dept Of Agriculture with the intent that a Concealed carry licensee is not identified in a drivers license check. A published article by the Highway Patrol indicated they do not get CC info when running tag or Drivers license but can request access to the database with just cause.???
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...0790.0601.html (the 119.07 exempt -means the database is not available through Freedom of Info access)
Federal law permits transporting a weapon across state lines, that is recognized in most states. However some States treat this as an "affirmative defense" in that you can be arrested for possession, the weapon seized, and a Judge will determine if the transportation was legal.

In the Firearms "sticky" above are links to State laws, Federal law and a lot of information that can be reviewed without getting this thread closed....
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Old 01-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
According to the article, the state of Maryland obtained the list of Florida concealed carry licensees via a freedom on information request. I am one of them along with over 1 million others Floridians. The car tag reader checks the license number against the data base and alerts the trooper 2 miles up ahead and tells them that they have a match. The officer pulls along side and compares the driver to the digital photograph from the computer and pulls over the driver who has not broken any traffic laws and asks him where is his weapon.

Closed Thread