Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Amazing how some folks feel so threatened that they have to carry when I have never heard of anyone on ANY of the rv forums I'm on that has ever needed a gun to protect themselves.
I have never felt that I have needed one at any time I have ever been camping anywhere and I have hiked and backpacked a good many miles in the western mountains.
[Moderator Edit] Actually I agree with you - but I have no idea what motivates others and don't overlay my experiences on them. Each to their own and in accordance with the law works for me.

I do not go up and down my street asking my neighbors if they have weapons or are packing heat when I see them. I also don't ask many of them in or invite them to walk into the backyard anytime to see what we're doing or eating.

Unless in some remote backwoods - I generally think there is little difference between campground and S&B neighborhood. My house and my yard are mine. Yours is yours.

As for guessing what motivates folks -- Unfortunately - there are folks who go nuts after a few beers - etc - some are just nuts to begin with. How we deal with that knowledge is a personal choice. And what's personal is well - personal.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 09:57 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't own a gun. HOWEVER if I did, I would make sure it is locked somewhere in my RV. I wouldn't feel right about bringing it into someone else's RV. Too many unintended things can happen. It really serves no one if you let anyone know you are carrying or are traveling with it.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:13 AM   #45
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well this really is the old dead horse thing, however............
Everyone's circumstances are different. My Spouse is an Attorney. As an Attorney she sues other folks. Some of them become irritated. Some have threatened her. We live isolated in some heavy woods. Sometimes the need for protection arises.

I have never produced my weapon and hope I never have to. I have been in a war and hope never to see anything like that ever again. Okay?

Some folks live in places that aren't very safe. Others live in gated communities and are quite safe. Some folks have never handled firearms and probably should not as in the hands of someone who has no first hand training or experience, they can be dangerous. Others, especially ex-military are a lot safer.

What we need to do is not judge everyone else by our own fears or circumstances. There are more CCWs around than you can imagine. Just the notion that they are around is a huge factor in crime statistics.

We were in a campground a week after 911 wherea neighboring group were around a fire celebrating the attacks on the US. There was a large group of them. Not nice folks. We left. Not everyone in campgrounds is someone you want for a neighbor.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Old 08-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #46

See how simple this is?

If you are invited into an RV of a friendly neighbor do you want to know if weapons are present? NO

If you invite your neighbor over and he is carrying (CCW) do you feel you should be informed of that? NO
Old 08-31-2014, 10:28 AM   #47

The question come up during my CWP class, and answer that was given was that is why they call it concealed.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #48

I was at a filling station getting fuel in my mh, when a stranger came up and ask if they could see the inside of my coach. After thinking for a min. I replied yes BUT my wife is in there with a gun in her lap and a pit bull dog beside her. That is only time I have informed anybody that I had a gun.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #49
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Folks, time for one more reminder to please stay on topic "Concealed carry, your neighbors and RVs". The OP's questions posed were
Quote:
If you are invited into an RV of a friendly neighbor do you want to know if weapons are present?
If you invite your neighbor over and he is carrying (CCW) do you feel you should be informed of that?
The thread is not about pepper spray, it is not about dogs, it is not about what to do with weapons while in Canada. Thanks.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

As for guessing what motivates folks -- Unfortunately - there are folks who go nuts after a few beers - etc - some are just nuts to begin with. How we deal with that knowledge is a personal choice. And what's personal is well - personal.
And I try to make it a point to figure just where folks fit in the above comment long before an invitation to enter my MH. That's what lawn chairs are far!
Old 08-31-2014, 11:48 AM   #51

If your going to "carry" in such a non threatening environment as my RV, please tell me. I may have a few concerns, not about your ability to use it but about your ability to know when.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #52

I wouldn't have a problem with someone having an unannounced concealed weapon as either an rv host or guest. Although I was raised with guns and am comfortable around them.

Two coworkers were hijacked traveling in New Mexico and found burned in their rv. I knew both were gun owners and that at least the husband carried a handgun. It didn't help them.

That being said, when we began our rv travels I debated what, if any, of my firearms I should bring. At first a handgun seemed appropriate, but after thinking a bit about the varied state laws and the possibility of a stray bullet, went with a home defense shotgun. In a Class A I am most concerned about stopping anyone forcing their way in with us there.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #53

An excerpt from Minnesota Law (many states are similar and many campgrounds prohibit firearms). A slightly different provision applies to other private entities. Even if allowed by the campground, an RV owner can prohibit entry to anyone they want ... typically by oral warning or a sign.

"Who may prohibit firearms?
Any “private establishment” may generally prohibit the carry or possession of firearms. Private establishment means “a building, structure, or portion thereof that is owned, leased, controlled, or operated by a nongovernmental entity for a nongovernmental purpose.” This includes any private entity that is deemed “nongovernmental,” including businesses, churches, private colleges, and nonprofit organizations."

"The lawful possessor of a private residence (a homeowner or apartment dweller) may “prohibit firearms, and provide notice thereof, in any lawful manner.” This means that a homeowner can prevent the carrying of guns on the homeowner’s property in the same manner he or she can prevent any unwanted trespass."
Old 08-31-2014, 02:23 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
And I try to make it a point to figure just where folks fit in the above comment long before an invitation to enter my MH. That's what lawn chairs are far!
So THAT is why you had us in your lawn chairs for so long before inviting us in when we last crossed paths.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I took my cc course (Texas), this topic came up. There is a special sign that businesses and individuals must post in their entrance door area if they forbid carry in their establishment or home. It's called the 30.06 or something like that in TX. It is their right to disallow carry if they so desire. Without such signage, there are laws that forbid legal cc (ex. Bars, schools, sporting events). Other than that, I suppose if a person were uncomfortable with guests who carry, I personally would choose either not to carry while visiting, or not to visit. But I believe that a legal cc carrier is not breaking the law if they carried anyway. I'm not a lawyer...
Old 08-31-2014, 04:23 PM   #56
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This thread has repeatedly drifted off topic despite several warnings, and is now closed.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
Closed Thread

Tags
rvs