Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #1

Concealed carry, your neighbors and RVs

I did a search but did not see a thread addressing this issue so forgive me if this has been discussed or just point me in the right direction.

It appears that a fair amount of us carry weapons in our RV.

So my questions are.

If you are invited into an RV of a friendly neighbor do you want to know if weapons are present?

If you invite your neighbor over and he is carrying (CCW) do you feel you should be informed of that?

I ask these questions because we are just starting to travel as a couple without kids. Most of our RVing has been done with family or to the racetrack (car racing) with fellow competitors and friends.

We dont own guns but clearly lots of people do and we are OK with that.

Not looking to start a war just friendly, informative dialog to see wherethe general RV population is on this issue.

Thanks for any replies.

This web site has been very informative and helpful.

Charlie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #2

Not sure why you feel the need to know ? You mention you are "OK" with either so I would think it would not make any difference.
Many Rv'ers carry protection in may different forms, such as shotguns, stun guns, hand guns, and various sprays.
Like you, I dont care and am just fine with what ever their choice is.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #3

None of your business - and if you ask me if I am armed, you will get that same response, too. Maybe you are asking so you will know if you can rob us with out worrying about getting shot...

Tim
Old 08-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't own a gun by choice. I don't care if others do either. To me it is not a topic I generally care to discuss.

OTOH, I don't like it when someone starts bragging about their guns when the topic wasn't even close at hand. I find it rude and just think someone is pushing an agenda I may not totally agree with. Besides, isn't the point of CCW to keep it concealed?

As to someone entering MY home with a gun and not informing me, I don't like it. If that person and I have a good relationship we would work that out. If it is a casual acquaintance then I want them to ask first and not be offended if I say no.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
If you are invited into an RV of a friendly neighbor do you want to know if weapons are present?
No, I would feel better if I knew they had weapons present!

Quote:
If you invite your neighbor over and he is carrying (CCW) do you feel you should be informed of that?
Now that's a toughie! I think it would depend on how well I knew him.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
Old 08-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #6

My personal preference is to be informed if someone was invited to my RV and had a concealed weapon.

I can accept that if I am invited to someones RV for entertainment, food etc. that they may have a weapon.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvbuzz View Post
I did a search but did not see a thread addressing this issue so forgive me if this has been discussed or just point me in the right direction.

So my questions are.

I ask these questions because we are just starting to travel as a couple without kids. Most of our RVing has been done with family or to the racetrack (car racing) with fellow competitors and friends.

Not looking to start a war just friendly, informative dialog to see wherethe general RV population is on this issue.

Thanks for any replies.

Charlie
Charlie, it's a good question, and will be interested in how the thread develops. My wife and I are Canadians, and in our country, you may - under licence - carry a shotgun or a rifle. We've not done so to date, but have always thought that when we start to to travel the Northwest Territories, Yukon and Alaska, carrying a shotgun would make a lot of sense. Can't imagine waking up in the trailer to realise there were large grizzlies between us and our truck! Perhaps a shotgun would add a sense of security......

In answer to your question, no, I don't think it would make much difference to me if a packing friend comes over for a visit, or if I go to visit them. Everyone needs a certain comfort level, and mine doesn't need a gun to support it - but I respect your right to one, if you choose.

In my life experience, RV'ers come in two flavours - those who are friendly and interesting to spend time with, and those who prefer their own company and aren't especially friendly. That either of those groups could be packing doesn't bother me much....

Nick B
Old 08-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #8
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I carry all the time. Anyway you can think that. I do not carry in states where I am not legal, nor in Canada. I do not discuss or brag about it. I do not threaten others. I do not intimidate.

CCW is just that. You do not need to know and I will not tell you. If a sworn officer asks me, I will tell him. If he asks for the weapon, I will give it to him. He has that authority.

Otherwise just keep in mind that many among us are carrying and you do not know which nor do you have that right. That's how it works to keep everyone honest.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Old 08-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I am visiting a friendly neighbor, weather or not he has weapons in the RV is none of my business UNLESS I bring a child along and then I would like to know that ANY weapons are secure.

If I invite someone in,,, I would hope that they are trusted enough that if they are "Packing" I won't be bothered by it.

Of course.. I spent 25 years hanging out with folks with guns, all but about 3 I trusted.. Of those one retired, two were fired.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #10

Don't ask, don't tell.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvbuzz View Post

So my questions are.

Thanks for any replies.

Charlie
I personally would not ask its none of my business and it's their place that you are invited to. If he's carrying and you know it that means you have seen it, no need to tell you something you already know. Guns are a heated subject for some I personally like them.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I believe nosticks is 100% correct.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
Old 08-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I carry all the time. Anyway you can think that. I do not carry in states where I am not legal, nor in Canada. I do not discuss or brag about it. I do not threaten others. I do not intimidate.

CCW is just that. You do not need to know and I will not tell you. If a sworn officer asks me, I will tell him. If he asks for the weapon, I will give it to him. He has that authority.

Otherwise just keep in mind that many among us are carrying and you do not know which nor do you have that right. That's how it works to keep everyone honest.
X2!
Old 08-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #14

Most people with a CCW permit understand 2 things, 1)secure the weapon(s) safely so that kids or others who shouldn't don't have access to it, and 2) weapons should only come out if needed for a reason to protect your saftey or the safety of others. That being said if you have a CCW and follow the rules, other than your immediate family members or traveling partners are probably the only ones that need to know. And in the unfortunate event you need to use it, then the Officers who respond will certainly need to see both the weapon and the CCW permit.

I have had to carry weapons my entire career and to be honest don't really care one way or another for them and don't collect them. I always saw the as a tool of my trade. I have carried CCW for the last 35 years and nobody other than my family has ever known I was carrying it, with the exception of one time I had to intervene in a felony in progress, luckily in the City I worked in and the responding Officers knew me. And I will tell you that the scariest and most dangerous part of the whole ordeal was praying the Officers who responded recognized me.

My best advice is it really isn't something that needs to be discussed, and should only be revealed in an emergency.

Closed Thread

Tags
rvs