Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
Concrete pad in the past, now fulltime to keep the wheels turning.

06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #16
I can collect some pictures of why you don't want to park a DP coach on 4" of concrete..... Driveway is ruined with cracks in all directions from where the rear tires rest. And yes, base was prepped pretty good with compacted sand.

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #17

Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I can collect some pictures of why you don't want to park a DP coach on 4" of concrete..... Driveway is ruined with cracks in all directions from where the rear tires rest. And yes, base was prepped pretty good with compacted sand.
4" is what you use for a sidewalk. I have just put down a pad that is 8" thick 4000 psi concrete with fiber reinforcing. That was on top of 6" compacted base. Should be good for a while.
John and Mary Knight
2015 Ventana 4311, 2015 Cadillac SRX
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #18
From the Portland Cement Association:

"As for thickness, non-reinforced pavement four inches thick is standard for passenger car driveways. For heavier vehicles, a thickness of five inches is recommended. To eliminate standing water, the driveway should be sloped towards the street a minimum of one percent, or 1/8 inch per foot, for proper drainage."
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #19
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
I put my unit up on jack stands with lambs wool under the tires, I also clean the tires with crest toothpaste and a large scrub brush before I retire it for it's 2 week winter rest. As for the roof, It sits under a carport so the sun is no prob but the tires get a cover made of black lexan, it's bullet proof.
Aww, yer jest funnin' us

2006 Sea Breeze LX 8341 on a Workhorse W22 Chassis with 22.5 Alcoa Alum wheels,
2011 Chevy Colorado 4X4 with Ready Brake
Glenn and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
A bit of overkill, but we just had a concrete driveway installed to replace the deteriorating asphalt. Where the coach will sit, we added a two foot by 10 foot wide by 12" deep strip for the front and back wheels, reinforced heavily with re-bar. Very little extra cost, and will serve us well.
Joe and Debbie, Emma the Aussie Cattle Dog who adopted us
2012 Discovery 36J, Blue Ox and Air Force One, 2010 GMC Acadia Toad
USAF (Ret) WDM http://wd0m.com
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #21
I have a 4" floor in my RV garage. It's been 2 1/2 years now with no concrete cracking near the tires where the MH sits. As the concrete company said to me, it's all about the base and rebar laid. I had the land cleared of top-soil, hauled in about 3' of river gravel, and didn't build until the next year. At that time about 10T of #7 stone was leveled onto the site, and compacted with a tamper.
Concrete WILL crack no-one can guarantee it will not, rebar and concrete wire just prevents the cracked sections from pulling apart in either direction.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote