Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Concrete pad

We are contemplating a concrete MH pad.... 30' wide X 45' long. As the Beaver grosses at 32,000 lbs. what considerations should we be looking at?
Depth? size rebar? How much rebar? Etc.?

Thanks
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #2

WhenI was building up a pad for another project I called the local concrete company and spoke with them and gave them all the particulars. They were quite helpful. You may need a building permit in your jurisdiction so check that out too. The building inspector can tell you what he wants. There is soe newer concrete mixes out there that mix in fiberglass or something that increases the strength and supposed to do away with re-bar. You might want to ask about that too. We built onto our driveway a parking area for my in-laws MH and even included full hook-ups for her including a sewer dump. it was new construction so it was relatively cheap to put in. The contractor figured out the needs there though so I can't help much more. good luck.
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
H. Miller,

Recently, I did just what you are contemplating. I poured it myself and decided to use the fiberglass, instead of re-bars. The pad is 6" thick and holds my 39', 32,000 lb. RV just fine. However......when you decide to park on the new pad, do not put your jacks down! If you do, you will crack the concrete, just like I did! You could possibly wait a month or two, for the concrete to totally cure but even then, I would use 2"X6" boards, spread across the pad and under both jacks (front & rear), to distribute the weight (I do that now). I learned this the hard way and was actually sick to my stomach when I heard the concrete crack.

Gripper (Roland)
Old 03-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Just a suggestion.
You MAY need footers on all sides of the slab. And rebar in the footers.
When you drive on the slab the edge absorbs moment (momentum) and will distribute the kenetic energy throughout the pad.
If you skimp, in a few years there may be (many) cracks. And if you do get a crack, seal it immediately or water will further weaken the concrete.
Follow your building inspector's tips. He's only allowed to tell you what code is.
Actually the concrete man should give you good advice.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I went with the rebar and the fiber mesh, no problems, 5 yrs no cracks. Good luck
Old 03-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need to answer some questions first,where do you live,frost line needs to be guesstamated.Why 30 feet wide,what is going on the other 20 feet of pad width? Need more facts!

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would recommend a six inch thick slab, with concrete reinforcing wire it it. Pour a 12 by 18 inch footing all around with at least two 1/2 inch rebar all around. Use heavy dutyconcrete, five bag mix. Do not let them talk you into the weaker concrete and do not use concrete with the fiberglass fivers only. I did mine 10 years ago and don't have even a hairling crack.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
dajudge is correct.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #9

You might also consider a thickened slab and rebar where the jacks will be located.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #10

You really don't want to guess here. You should contact the concrete company and let them know exactly what your plans are. I would also check with the local building inspector to ensure that you do it right the first time and do not run afoul of the local rules and regulations. Your local freeze/thaw parameters will determine how deep, how much and what type of reinforcement as well as the type of concrete poured.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:59 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the suggestions folks. We are out in the country on acreage so no building insp. but will check with the cement company as to their suggestions then compare them to the contractors. The edge footing (at least at the driveway side) is a very good idea.
Whaler, as the "signature" area has a limited space, most of us put additional info in other areas. Mine can be found by clicking on H.Miller and then "personal info"
Old 03-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #12

Bill Adams is correct. We poured our slab next to our driveway in '04. We let the professionals determine the thichness and the materials to be used. They pulled a permit to start and then did the work. So far, 6 years later, no cracks and still parking our TT there.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #13

PAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
I would recommend a six inch thick slab, with concrete reinforcing wire it it. Pour a 12 by 18 inch footing all around with at least two 1/2 inch rebar all around. Use heavy duty concrete. Do not let them talk you into the weaker concrete and do not use concrete with the fiberglass fibers only. I did mine 10 years ago and don't have even a hairline crack.
I had mine poured 15 years ago with the above directions and had expansion joints every 8 Ft and no cracks after 15 years and my rig weights in at 38000Lbs.
85Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:44 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Complete!
I now believe that time spent checking out the contractor is as important (maybe more so) than all the numbers. Ours pours 4-6 high end home foundations per week. Armed with all my new found knowledge gained from above, he had positive answers to all my questions and suggestions.
5 bag mix - 6 mil plastic between earth & concrete - rebar everywhere with 15" spacing - 12" wide footing around the entire pad - 3 hours use of the propeller looking machine that smooths the top (sweeping will be easy) and most interesting, they dug 16" deep trenches at 15' intervals (front to rear and side to side). The 2 side to side are under the front jack/wheel area and the rear axle. Do plan on 2X12" about 4' long under the jacks.
****What would you use under the tires as a moisture barrier?******
The garage is next!!