Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Concrete Pad Construction

I'm looking for input from anyone who has built (or had built for them) a concrete pad for parking an RV. I'm trying to persuade the National Wildlife Refuge where we volunteer to put in another concrete RV pad and I'd like to be able to have some numbers to give them. The existing pads are 60 by 25 feet, but what I don't know is the thickness of the concrete, how much gravel fill below the slab, is rebar necessary, etc etc. The pad needs to be capable of supporting the largest DP.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Base rock with Six inch thick concret with rebar in criss cross pattern. Or thick paver stones that can be removed due to tree roots or future trenches crossing the area.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:30 PM   #3

Maybe you should talk to a couple area concrete companies. In addition to the considerations above there's different chemical mixes that can change the strength to accommodate heavier loads... that can affect costs as well.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #4

I wanted to specify a pad to be installed in Arizona, but we were in Indiana. Went to my local concrete supplier and this is what they suggested:
6 inch thick 5,000 pound concrete with fiberglass fibers,
8 inch thick for two 10' x 10' areas where the wheels would be located.
Rebar cross hatch at one foot intervals.

The only item that the installer added which I agreed to was to put rebar all around the perimeter.

My pad was 50 feet long and 10 feet wide. Beside that I have a 55 feet long and 10 wide patio area that is the same as the motor home pad, but 4 inches thick. The only cracks I have are down the stress relief groves put in for that purpose. I installed all this 12 years ago.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:07 PM   #5

I have done a couple of pads and the latest one for my new coach is 12 X 34 feet. It is 4 inches thick with re-bar crossed every foot and the edges have a 12 inch deep footing. We cut stress areas about every 10 feet in length and one down the center. The approach from the street is around 8 inches thick per city code. I believe this is sufficient for my gas coach but for a big diesel rig I would suggest going the 6 inch thick or even 8 inches.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #6

That would be a 50 square yard pour at 4". And if reinforced with rebar, 4" would be sufficient for RV use. In our market, concrete's between $100 and $110 per square yard, which would make this a $5k to $5.5K pour or 6 mixer loads. Labor would be extra.

That's really a large pad for a RV.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:35 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had a 40' X 40' X 6" pad installed. The guy put down 6" of road base, 8" X 8" wire, 5,000 PSI with microfiber. Been two years no cracks even in the expansion lines.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:13 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We have not put the concrete in yet but we are planning on 6" of concrete with a wire mesh reinforcement. We now have 15" of gravel base that is 3" below the final grade. We will remove 3" of gravel to get us the 6" we want.

We packed the base as we put in the pad for the shed. We stripped off the top soil and leveled the ground and started packing. We filled about 2' of clay and then laid the gravel.

If we install concrete now the base would have been sitting for about 5 years. We have no plans to install concrete but built the shed so the option was there.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Concrete Pad Construction

If you can afford it, 6" thickness is the best way to go. It's unbelievable however what the difference in cost is between a 4" and a 6" pad. That being said, finances forced me to pour a 4" rebar enforced pad when I bought my current house two years ago. I have a heavy diesel motorhome, so far not a single crack

I not only had to pour a pad, but I also had to widen my driveway and pour an 85' drive leading to the pad at the rear of my property. All of it 4" rebar enforced. I also put in full hookups with 50A service. It cost me a fortune but it was worth every dollar.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:04 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the replies. 6 inch thick slab seems to be the concensus.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I worked with a city that used concrete predominently for the streets. Their rule of thumb was 5" for urban streets, 8" for main streets.

Only thing that messed them up was the bus routes that went through the urban streets. Bus traffic could damage the 5" concrete.

They used very little base material simply because there was not a lot of gravel available. 5" should be good but 6" on a good base will be better.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
National Wildlife Refuge? Wouldn't that make it federal project subject to federal specifications of the applicable agency? So you are probably looking at 12" of 6000 psi concrete reinforced with fiber and stainless steel #8 rebar...

Seriously, there are probably standard agency specifications and details that would apply.

Critical to any design is underlying soils and water conditions. A slab on existing compact sand and gravel will have a different design than one on organic or clay soils.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote