Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Confused about gray/black water tanks...

I must have a total misunderstanding of how the gray and black water tanks are set up in trailers. We have a fifth wheel that is permanently boondocked. The toilet waste line has been rerouted to a remote (outside) composting toilet.

So from my (apparently incorrect) understanding of things, the only thing that should come out of the tanks is the gray water (from sinks) - nothing should come out of the black water tank. Yet after every visit to the trailer, when I drain the two tanks, more comes out of the black water line than out of the gray water tank. (just make it clear, what comes out of the black water tank is reasonably clean "gray" water, not toilet waste). How is this possible? The only thing I can think of is rain water coming into the black water tank through the vent, but A) the vent has a cap on it, and B) it hasn't rained here in years.

What am I missing?
lyonkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonkster View Post
I must have a total misunderstanding of how the gray and black water tanks are set up in trailers. We have a fifth wheel that is permanently boondocked. The toilet waste line has been rerouted to a remote (outside) composting toilet.

So from my (apparently incorrect) understanding of things, the only thing that should come out of the tanks is the gray water (from sinks) - nothing should come out of the black water tank. Yet after every visit to the trailer, when I drain the two tanks, more comes out of the black water line than out of the gray water tank. (just make it clear, what comes out of the black water tank is reasonably clean "gray" water, not toilet waste). How is this possible? The only thing I can think of is rain water coming into the black water tank through the vent, but A) the vent has a cap on it, and B) it hasn't rained here in years.

What am I missing?

Many RV builders route one of the sinks into the black tank.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Many RV builders route one of the sinks into the black tank.
Well that would certainly do it then! I was wondering if it was something tricky like that - is that intended to help flush out the black water tank?
Old 12-21-2015, 08:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonkster View Post
Well that would certainly do it then! I was wondering if it was something tricky like that - is that intended to help flush out the black water tank?

Well, it's true that more water in a black tank is generally a good thing, but I'm guessing that the main reason it that it simplifies their plumbing.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #5

Thanks Steve! It all makes sense now!
Old 12-22-2015, 12:05 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My bathroom sink is hooked into the black tank as well I believe it's a fairly common occurrence in RVs.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:32 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
The mid bathroom on my 34e Hurricane has toilet and sink drain into black tank also.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:40 AM   #8

And showers seem to be routed either way depending on the builder.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:40 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think Steve nailed it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:44 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
is that intended to help flush out the black water tank?
No, just an expediency for the convenience of the builders. The back tank is directly under the toilet (unless the toilet is a macerator type), so it's simple to run the adjacent sink drain into it as well. A bathroom sink doesn't usually contribute a lot of waste water, so it [hopefully] doesn't strain the capacity of the black tank too badly. A typically generates much more waste water and running it into the black tank is a poor design choice (which rarely stops an RV builder from doing anything that saves him time/money during assembly).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:00 AM   #11

Thanks for all the replies folks, it makes perfect sense now. Now I'm kicking myself for not coming here first and asking the question - I spent way too much time trying to figure this out on my own, googling, and only reading that "gray water tank is for sink waste, black water tank is for toilet waste" - nowhere did it say that sink waste is commonly dumped into the black water tank. That little tidbit would have saved me lots of headaches .
Old 12-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Do you let the black tank fill up before dumping ?
You said after every visit.... and wondered if it had enough volume to woosh it all out

THAT pyramid, once formed, may last as long as the ones in Egypt !
Old 12-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Do you let the black tank fill up before dumping ?
You said after every visit.... and wondered if it had enough volume to woosh it all out

THAT pyramid, once formed, may last as long as the ones in Egypt !
I do empty the tanks at every visit, but there is only sink waste in them - all the toilet/solid waste goes to the composting toilet .
Old 12-23-2015, 04:51 AM   #14

Not to put too fine a point on it but the bathroom sink is also a source for fecal contamination. That is why it is sent to the black tank.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, tank, water