Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #1
Connect to power

Thoughts on connecting to power when parked at home. Good or bad?

Vgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #2
Do you feel a need to? I have a 50amp hook up at my house, but I primarily use it to power the rig up and get ready for a trip. Get the AC running, cool the fridge and freezer, etc. It may be good to hook it up from time to time just to top off the batteries though.

Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
At the moment, we have a 2015 21 foot TT. I have had it hooked up to the house before going on trips using a 30amp to 110v(?) adapter. I use it to cool the frig and confirm everything is working.

If you are asking with reference to a more permanent setup, I am hooked up to a 30amp outlet where I store my trailer. I also have a main power shut off next to my batteries on the trailer. I will recharge the batteries from time to time and then kill the power both from the 30amp and from the batteries to the trailer. Haven't had any issues...but then the trailer is only about a year and a half old.

Hope that, at least, sort a helps.

Chance31ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:32 PM   #4
I keep my MH hooked up at my house in TN all the time. I got a 50 amp service put in last year. I like to keep the climate from extremes. Not freezing in winter and not getting to 140 degrees in the summer. Not worried about using a little extra electricity to keep my RV from these extreme temps inside the coach. If you do stay plugged in, remember to check and top off your batteries every couple of months and you're good to go.
TS192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:44 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I have always connected to 15A power while at home - it tops up the batteries to 100% charge and keeps them there (it can take up to 48-72 hours to get to 100%, depending on state of charge before plugging in to shore power). In addition I run fridge on electric as well.

I monitor voltage and charge rate when I first plug in to make sure I do not exceed 15A circuit rating. A 30 or 50A service would be better but I manage OK.

Hope this helps.
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL
Toad: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #6
Our 5vr is hooked up to 30A next to house.......FHU parking

5vr is stocked ready to go except for frozen foods, fresh produce and milk

Fridge is ON.....beer/soda cold
Inverter/charger maintaining batteries

Use it as:
Man Cave especially summer time when working in yard
Guest quarters when family/friends visit
Emergency events......power outages

Monthly cost to be plugged in--------roughly $25/month
Worth it to me.

Our Dometic Fridge has been ON except for periods of defrosting since Nov 2006
using either electric or propane
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:42 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 50 amp coach that stays plugged in to my home 30 amp all the time. I have a quality inverter/charger so I rarely have to add water to my batteries. If you have a single stage charger, you might run the risk of boiling your batteries.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good or Bad?
Three groups of men were ask "Boxers of Briefs"
Young men said "Briefs"
Middle age said "Boxers"
Seniors said "Depends"

(old joke, Depends is the answer to your question)

Depends on your converter.. I will list only the extreams here

Magnetek 6300 series is a very poorly regulated single stage charger, It is known for boiling batteries dry in as little as 1-2 weeks once they are charged.. DO NOT leave plugged in for months on end.

Progressive Dynamics Intell-power 9200.. Is a very well regulated 3-stage converter.. I leave mine (Well mine is a 9180 with wizard, Equal to the 9280) full time Does it boil the batties dry.. Well yes, but it takes over a year to do it. when they are new. Best dang converter I've found.

Many other makes and models in between but it is the converter that answers your question . A good 3 stage, in fact most any 3 stage, i'd leave plugged in and check monthly.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #9
Originally Posted by Vgb View Post
Thoughts on connecting to power when parked at home. Good or bad?
My coach, (which will be 20 years old tomorrow), has ALWAYS been plugged in... (except when it's rolling, when we are boondocking, dry camping or overnighting where there is no shore power available).
'96 Safari, 145k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
Mine stays plugged in to a 20A circuit 24/7.
2005 Fleetwood Excursion 39L, 350 Cat, Allison 3000, 1991 Honda Accord EX
jmcannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #11
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been doing it pretty much since I started RV'ing in 1968 with my first TT, and before that (since 1958) my parents did it. Still do it to this day.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:33 PM   #12
I keep mine plugged in at my house 24/7. Like TS said, don't like the extreme temps. I use ceramic heaters. I also keep the wet bays warm, but have those heaters plugged into another source of 110 with extension cords. YMMV
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #13
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
With a smart charger and good batteries (gel/AGM), leave it plugged in all the time.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:29 PM   #14
Tiffin Owners Club
At home we are plugged into a 20 amp service at the end of a 10/3 100' extenction (sp) cord. It runs the AC at 95F and the 110/12 volt ref. The heaters are set at 40F to keep the coach and bays above freezing. We run the propane heaters off an extend - a - stay connection with a 20# tank. Every couple of weeks I weight the tank to be sure it isn't empty. In over 8 years we've never used a 2nd tank through the winter BUT we are about the same lat as Houston ie: snow every 10 yrs on the ground for at least 12 hrs. BRRRRRR really cold for a south TEXAN.

Bob (RVM 27), Teffy, Kitty Kitty, - Full timeing during the summer
"Roughing It Smoothly" in a 1994 34' Allegro Bay DP
All of 190 horses but 11 MPG. 0 TO 60 in 62 sec.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote