Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2015, 03:43 PM   #29

We are planning on doing Alaska this summer as well with another couple in their 5ver. I'm wondering if this year will be exceptionally busy with RV's based on the low fuel prices.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 06:09 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Funny you I was just checking to see Fairbanks Alaska earlier today and they and gas prices were running $2.75 - $2.85 for regular. $3.29 for diesel. If you go to the Gasbuddy's Canada site very few stations will list their prices. Last week I did find one on the Alcan still over $5.00 a gallon for regular.

So at least they are coming down. Two weeks ago Fairbanks was still over $4.00 a gallon for regular. But I'm sure there is going to be some refinery that has to shut down 3000 - 4000 miles away that will push the prices back up again come this summer driving season.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
I think there are some great Alaskan cruise ships you can take without worrying about damaging your rv.
No cruise ships for us. We want to spend two months + up there. We are full-timers and travel with two cats and a bird. Can't leave them behind. Also, my husband is a paraglider pilot and will fly Alyeska; and, I'm a photographer who wants the flexibility to visit the places at the times of day I need to get the best shots.
CasaLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Don't believe all the horror stories. Yes there are bad sections of roads but if you take your time it's not that bad. If you see a big rig (semi) headed your way, try to slow down and get as far to the right as you can without going off the road. Most of the damaged windshields come from trucks running the opposite direction. Watch you fuel, diesel is plentyful but that next station might be closed, out of fuel, or out of power to run the pumps.
We were there this past summer with an RV Tour group, 24 rigs in all. Yes a few broken windshields and one MH did hit a Moose and did major damage, but the guys duct taped it together and they finished the tour.
I also rode to Alaska last summer on my Goldwing, along with a few friends. We encountered a large group of RV's feeding us dust just north of Watson Lake, YT......hmmmmm I wonder?
As for the roads, they can get a bit rough, with the stretch from Destruction Bay, YT north being the worst, but being forewarned we were prepared...both ways.
However, I wouldn't trade that trip for anything. I would however, have taken more the two weeks to go there and back from Lower Michigan (no smelling roses on that trip). Alaska has more scenery than you can imagine and more people don't take the time to see it than do. I feel fortunate to have made the journey.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
In 16' plan to take 3 weeks to go up, park in sis-n-laws drive in North Pole. Do some inter-state RVing trips to Homer, Denali, Valdez. Leave sometime about Sept 1st...? to head south.

???here... What kind of weather can one expect heading south thru the Yukon as late as Sept 10th. Can it get below 30 degrees / snow?
Old 02-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #34

Typically, late Sept will be MUCH warmer than -30!! It's a beautiful time to travel there. There might be some light snow but it'll melt fast. It's still too warm. Of course, keep in mind that every year is different - no guarantees. Just watch the forecasts.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Typically, late Sept will be MUCH warmer than -30!! It's a beautiful time to travel there.
Yukon and Alaska?

Traveling with a hybrid trailer, will just have to bundle up if we get nights into the 30's. Have camped in lows in the upper teens. Our next tt will be more "4 seasons" equipped.

Plan to start returning (leaving AK.) to the lower 48 no later than Sept 10th. + or -.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
It's not the fuel prices n Alaska you need to worry about, it the prices on your way through Canada. That's where you'll use the bulk of your fuel, so just be prepared to grin and accept it.

As far as returning to the lower 48 in September, you'll find that museum closures, campgrounds shutting down and restaurants closing up will determine for you when it's time to leave. We made the trip in 2011 and 2014 had to leave when the things we wanted to see shut down for the season.
fputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:10 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
And let me add one more thing, go sooner than later. We found Alaska to be much more crowded in 2014 than it was in 2011. Denali is difficult to impossible to get into without advance reservations, Talkeetna was overrun by tourists, and Anchorage was just your typical crowded big city.

We enjoyed much more exploring Homer, Valdez, Kennicott, Wrangle-St. Elias, Chicken, Eagle and even the area around Fairbanks. The eastern side of Alaska, that's accessible by the paved highway system is pretty much being taken over by the cruise ship lines and tour bus tourists. One that side you will also encounter many rental RVs piloted by persons who have never driven any thing larger than a sub-compact car.
fputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #38

Red face

We left Fl. in April 14 and headed west on I-10....In Louisana the road was so rough it ripped the cargo carrier off of the frame of our 5th wheel....we headed north out of Az. and did the Alaska Hwy thing. Just remember that they post little flags on the side of the road where there are small bumps or heaves, these are some times close together and there are large BUMP sign when there is a major bump.....you better be going slow across these bumps because they are like the speed bumps you find in neighborhoods. The small flag bumps are not as bad. We learned real quick to drive slow. Those that experience damage to their rigs were driving too fast. If you are in a hurry then do not go. Or fly up but then you only see the tops of clouds....We took our time stopped to smell the roses.....we chose to do the trip by ourselves so there would be no time restraints......We had no plan just look at the Milepost and see what was ahead and stop and see what was interesting.....
Old 02-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fputnam View Post
It's not the fuel prices n Alaska you need to worry about, it the prices on your way through Canada. That's where you'll use the bulk of your fuel, so just be prepared to grin and accept it.

As far as returning to the lower 48 in September, you'll find that museum closures, campgrounds shutting down and restaurants closing up will determine for you when it's time to leave. We made the trip in 2011 and 2014 had to leave when the things we wanted to see shut down for the season.
I appreciate both your posts for the valuable information/opinion. I will take it into serious consideration as we make our plans. I enjoyed reading your blog, too.
CasaLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #40

Get the Milepost magazine. We also carried Mike & Terri Church's Travel Guide to Alaska. We've been twice. Once by bike, the other with the motorhome. Planning on our 3rd. trip in 2016. It's a place that will get into your blood.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote