Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #1

Consign or for sale by owner?

Not real sure how the consignment thing works. Anyone have strong opinions for or against trying to sell my 5er myself or is consignment the way to go?

Thanks for your help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #2

IF you're not available to show the unit, consignment can be good.

IF you're proud of your RV and take comments about it personally, consignment can be good.

IF you have every book and receipt, and want every potential buyer to know what's in all that paperwork, consign it.

IF you take low offers personally, consign it.

Consignment usually runs about 10%, so unless yours is very special, it's worth it having the unit showed more often than if it was at your home.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #3

It depends on the dealer but most consignments don't get a lot of exposure. They would rather push their own inventory, Unless their used inventory is low.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I know Alliance coach in Wildwood Florida has many consignment coaches, many more than their own used coaches. These seem to get a lot of exposure.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I know Alliance coach in Wildwood Florida has many consignment coaches, many more than their own used coaches. These seem to get a lot of exposure.
If you consign it, make sure that the dealer you use has a number of similar units on his lot; that they are a combination of consigned and lot-owned, and that yours isn't the highest priced unit of its kind.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #6

Hey Y'all, I MOHO here, if you consign it. please do an inventory of everything in it that is not screwed down and or removable. Just Say'in!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Unionville, Tn.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How much is the coach worth? Consignors have the advantage of being to provide financing to buyers. Higher priced unit benefit from this more than lower priced units.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:29 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
My friend sold his 5er by consignment.....he had a price he wanted and got about 2 months later......he felt it worked better than if he had tried to sell it on his own.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #9

I would probably go with a consignment only dealer, like www.ppl.com . A lot of new coach dealers are getting into the consignment business and their loyalty will be selling the new ones. Also a large one like PPL gets a lot of traffic, which is what you want. Plus the advertising they can do will get warm bodies to take a look.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorgan6375 View Post
Hey Y'all, I MOHO here, if you consign it. please do an inventory of everything in it that is not screwed down and or removable. Just Say'in!
Treat the coach you take to a consignment place the same as you'd treat a boat or a car. Remove ALL personal property and clean it to look as good as possible.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #11

X2! It should be as ready to go and looking as nice as possible - or you should be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Unless you're some type of marketing guru, or there's a high demand for coaches like the one you're selling, my thought is consignment is the better plan - by a dealer specializing in consignment sales. The extra traffic/exposure created in that environment will have a positive effect on what the coach will sell for. An outfit like PPL will also know what your coach is worth, hastening it's sale. They aren't going to accept coaches with sky high asking prices. They're there to sell them, not store them....
Old 08-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #12

I have used consignment methods to sell a motorcycle, at a humongous dealer, and a boat at a smaller dealer. Both sold quickly at the appraised price. Both prices I considered good. So it worked me.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
I would probably go with a consignment only dealer, like www.ppl.com . A lot of new coach dealers are getting into the consignment business and their loyalty will be selling the new ones. Also a large one like PPL gets a lot of traffic, which is what you want. Plus the advertising they can do will get warm bodies to take a look.
X2. Sold a 5'er at PPL and years later purchased a MH through PPL. My 5'er sale was done in less than 2 weeks. Took a cruise and returned to voice mail that my check was in the mail. PPL gets more foot traffic in one day than I could get in a month. They can offer financing and warranties that I can not offer.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #14

I have not sold a mh or tt but did sell 2 trucks class 8 tractors tried to sell myself it set 2 mo. took it to local used truck dealer and he sold it in 2 weeks,my second truck I took to them first it sold in 3 weeks so it was worth the fee they charge.

Tags
sale