Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #15
I have sold a travel trailer and motorhome via two different consignment dealers. In both cases I put the RVs on the lot in the spring time which is prime season for selling in WA. Florida may not have as big of change in seasons. In the first case it took about 2 months to sell the 4 year old travel trailer and we received what we were asking. I had the trailer listed in the paper and local auto sales magazine as well as craigslist for 3 months with only tire kickers and no offers. The dealer contacted me a few weeks after I removed the ads. He had no monthly lot fees and only got paid if/when it sold for a fixed amount. It sold for more than I was asking on my own and they handled all the paper work. I ended up with more money in my pocket even after their fee. The second time I did not even mess with trying to sell it myself. I used a different dealer as I had moved 150 miles from the other. This time there was a few "plans" to chose from on how it sold. I chose the plan that stated I wanted a set price and anything above would be their fee. Again I got what I wanted out of the deal and it sold within a month. So in both cases I was satisfied.

I did not research the first dealer but they only did consignments and it worked out for me. The second dealer mainly did consignments but also took in trades that they would sell. I knew two people that had used them and since my wife drove by the lot daily she could see that inventory was selling (or at least being moved to give impression that things sold).

mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #16
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Just be aware that your insurance might not cover the coach if it is on consignment
You can easily get a rider for your insurance. Ours was less than $50.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:09 AM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Thank You very much for the replies! Gives us food for thought.
Safe travels everyone.
Andi & Jim from Florida
Labs: Tank, Roxy & Russell
& Sometimes Grandbassett Lucy
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:10 AM   #18
Sold our Airstream two years ago on Ebay, didn't sell on the first round, simply re listed it again and made our reserve.

I did a 7 day offer.

They wired the money, picked it up 2 weeks later.

You do have to have lots of pictures and really describe any faults.

Also offer to answer any questions and supply additional pics if requested.

Craigs list may work too because you can search CL nationwide not area by area.

HR Endeavor 38CDS - 330 Cat - Aero Muffler
Miata close behind | 585W solar w/Kid Controller
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #19
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We took ours down to Houston at PPL. We named our price and it sold within a month. There are a lot of shoppers there. We were impressed.
What is PPL ?
2004 HR Navagator 500 ISM
RobRoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #20
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
What is PPL ?

Google PPL Motorhomes.
They're in Texas. They have 3 lots, one in Houston, New Braunfels, and one in Cleburne.
They are a consignment lot. We bought our '07 Bounder in Houston 3 weeks ago. Couldn't be happier with the way the deal went.

I'm seriously thinking about taking my 2000 Southwind down there for them to sell for me.

FOR ME, it was/is worth the 7 hr. one way drive. Twice.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:26 AM   #21
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
PPL is a very large dealer in Houston one another place in Texas. They also have a great parts department too. We were in Houston for a few months a year ago and truly enjoyed going in there. I have had no complaints, and the people are great. We have been thinking is selling our MH, and can't think of a better group to work with. What do they charge to sell a MH?

2008 HR Neptune XL
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Philliec is offline   Reply With Quote